cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a multi billon company ship broken project files for years?

thewhiteambit
Adventurer
I recently dared to upgrade from LibOVR 1.15 to 1.20 - you probably ask yourself what took me so long. The answer is I was sick of fixing tons of bugs in the VS project files each time. I mean have a look in the "LibOVR\Projects\Windows\VS2010" or "VS2012" files for example. The LibOVR.vcxproj.filters closing XML tags don't even meet the opening tags!!! This makes these files unreadable by Visual Studio and most times it makes it crash. The regular VS project files "LibOVR.vcxproj" also often list files not even in the correct place, stopping VS from compiling.

And this carry's on from LibOVR versions far below 1.0 - I remember mentioning it to the forums from very early releases (I think about 0.5x). Each time I dare to upgrade I have to compare diffs to work out these errors again and again and again.  Why not putting public files in a GIT were others can fix these errors, if you are not capable of distributing clean code?

Get your job done, Oculus VR!
4 REPLIES 4

thewhiteambit
Adventurer
BTW, here is a corrected "LibOVR.vcxproj" for VS2010

thewhiteambit
Adventurer
files

thewhiteambit
Adventurer
I just stumbled upon a not really present Include\OVR_CAPI_Metrics.h in VS2015 project, forcing an unessesary rebuild each time

paul_pedriana
Explorer
We looked into the history of these files and a break was introduced with our 1.20 SDK release in early November. We have a fix internally which will be published in an upcoming SDK.