cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with getting serial numbers after update to v39

timhereijgers
Explorer

Ever since our Quest 2s have started updating to v39, our applications are no longer able to find their device's serial numbers. This is breaking a lot of our work by preventing us to properly communicate with our backend. We previously used the following code in Unity to get the serial number, but this code now returns "unknown".

AndroidJavaObject jo = new AndroidJavaObject("android.os.Build");
string serialNumber = jo.GetStatic<string>("SERIAL");

Is there anyone else experiencing this problem that might know a solution? It would be very helpful if Oculus Support could provide us with information if they know what might be causing this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately it seems you are right. Meta have responded to us (and another user who we spoke to on Reddit), that they cannot do anything for us.

For everyone else with this problem, to summarize:
You will have to come up with your own identification system, as using serial numbers is no longer supported as of Android 10. There is nothing you, or Meta/Oculus can do to change this. For a more detailed description, you can read ratmat2000's comments.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ratmat2000
Explorer

+1 Same problem! This is very bad. We rely on access to the serial number to communicate with our backend as well.

PiroKun
Protege

Is there any news on this topic?

Unfortunately, no one at Oculus has replied or acknowledged this issue. Our best guess is they will no longer allow serial number access so we have implemented our own identification system for our needs.

i will add that I believe Meta and it’s view of the future will die on the vine if they don’t improve their developer support.

Derek9nine
Honored Guest

We just had this issue pop up on an application that we've been using for over a year. We used that s/n to index into our back end.

Short of rolling our own identifier system out is there any other solution?

timhereijgers
Explorer

As of right now, Oculus has told us that they are aware of the issue and are looking into this. We are, however, worried that Oculus will just say they can't help us and we will have to figure something out on our own.

I think it is a good time for everyone to start thinking about our own identifier system just in case, but still hold out a little hope that Oculus might find a fix.

I find it highly doubtful that Meta will try to “fix” this issue. This is a constraint imposed by Google and Android 10 as they seek to match Apple’s privacy sandbox. Both Apple and Google have pushed for years to remove all available unique device identifiers including the serial number. Oculus is now being treated like any other consumer browsing device (smart phone, tablet, etc).

Moving forward, I expect everyone will be required to force their users through clunky username/password login systems.

Unfortunately it seems you are right. Meta have responded to us (and another user who we spoke to on Reddit), that they cannot do anything for us.

For everyone else with this problem, to summarize:
You will have to come up with your own identification system, as using serial numbers is no longer supported as of Android 10. There is nothing you, or Meta/Oculus can do to change this. For a more detailed description, you can read ratmat2000's comments.

asdiop153246
Honored Guest

Do you got any new solution to fix up this issue ? or any otherway to identification the Headset to share ?