cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

120Hz Quest 2 Refresh Rates with Link/Air Link vs PC Monitor Refresh Rates

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

With updates after v29 I've noticed my Q2 120Hz option with either Link or Air Link has suffered.  Some games get a lot of stuttering using 120Hz, even with low graphics settings.  I did not think my monitor refresh rate should have any effect and I normally have set my monitor to 100Hz since I have not see a lot of improvement going higher.

Today (with v33) I tried increasing it from 100Hz to 120Hz and got an immediate improvement, including no stuttering.  This was obvious using the performance monitoring graphs with OTT or ODT.  No improvements going higher to 144Hz (my monitor limits), maybe slightly worse.  Also, lower 72-90Hz Q2 Link/Air Link do not seem to show any differences between 100 and 120Hz monitor refresh rate so I'll just keep my monitor at 120Hz for now.

I'm not sure why this happened but I thought I'd pass this on.  Also, while 120Hz is fun/smooth to use with fast action games, I still prefer lower 80-90Hz refresh rates with more complex games/sims since I can bump up the graphics setting more.  Probably depends a lot on your PC specs and personal preferences imho.

Aside;

With my rtx3090 the sweet spot for me is currently 80Hz and max encoding slider (so, full Q2 native res).  Then I use OTT to set global AWS = off and game profiles to set Super sampling (1.0 to 1.5x, depending on the game/sim).  With v33 link sharpening the results are great with both Link and Air Link.  With Link I can bump up the ODT bit rates and this is a bit better (distant objects are even clearer) but I still prefer the freedom of wireless with Air Link and am using its dashboard bitrate settings = 200mbps dynamic.  Now that this is working sooo well my poor old Vive Pro (w/lens mod and Index controllers) is starting to collect a bit of dust, lol!

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro
4 REPLIES 4

TomCgcmfc
Level 15

Pretty well useless to try to post anything that may be useful on this forum now imho.  It currently seems to be all about one-post-wonders and complainers.  Oculus and Quest threads on Reddit are not much better.  Probably time for another Forum(s) break, lol!

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Thank you for details on refresh rates and v33 sharpening 🙂

> Today (with v33) I tried increasing it from 100Hz to 120Hz and got an immediate improvement, including no stuttering.

It is interesting. It may be there is some connection with Vsync. Or may be it depends on displaying same image both on screen and in hmd?

> Probably time for another Forum(s) break, lol!

I think it will not help much 😞  But you could call people in to discussion 🙂

@RuneSR2, @kojack ....

Thanks, but I can't help with the Q2, my CV1 is still working flawlessly though. 

I do agree that the forum has changed - it's more or less about one user having one specific problem. This is originally a support forum though, but was once a great place for discussions. 

I guess we have to be extremely polite and courteous to each other in here - persons constantly trying to win discussions, or to pick arguments, or needing to have the last word, easily scare users away. Right now it feels like we're 10 hardcore old timers and a bunch of problem-ridden new Q2 users in here. 

I was quite surprised with the 60 comments I got on Reddit in my last post - all behaved nicely, made several fun comments - or gave issues some thoughts. I saw none trying to ignite fires or just to be in opposition for the sheer sake of being in opposition. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

@Nekto2 wrote:

I think it will not help much 😞  But you could call people in to discussion 🙂

@RuneSR2, @kojack ....

Not really much I can add. My Quest 2 (and Quest 1 and Rift-S) are at my work for another 4 weeks, if I used Link with them it would be with a laptop running a 980m, so I'm not pushing refresh rate. 🙂

I'm just here on my CV1 at stock rates.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2