cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 DK2 sets side by side

bdeschryver
Explorer
Hey guys,

I would like to build a demo using 2 PCs for which 2 persons site side by side and enjoy the demo.
I wanted to make sure that I would no get interference from one rift-camera set to the other.
I know they are calibrated and linked together (using the sync cable and software id I guess), but I want to make sure that in no case I will have both (independent) systems interfere with each other.

can someone confirm this ? (Cyberreality?)
Anyone has done demos in this way without issues ?

Thank you
9 REPLIES 9

Semicidal
Honored Guest
They would absolutely interfere with one another side by side, if both rifts are in the cameras range. The headsets are throwing out IR light and the camera's are just working to grab the light and translate it into locational data. There is no way AFIAK to differentiate between IR emitter on setA and on setB.
You could always position people like the avatars in couch knights. 90 degree angles to one another.

LKostyra
Protege
From a logical point of view, Semicidal is absolutely right. IMO if you want to use both rifts, you should make sure that each DK2 will see only its own rift.
DK1: Received DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received CV1: (Jan 6) Pending Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM

bdeschryver
Explorer
Well that seems very strange !
Why are they then connected via the sync cable and why is each camera and Rift identified with a unique ID on the PC ?

VizionVR
Rising Star
I posted this concern a couple weeks ago and didn't get a response.
Surely, someone here has tried dual Rifts side by side.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

PyroSteel
Protege
The unique ID on the pc is for the Rifts drivers to run the video and gyro info as well as the camera to push data from its feed. The IR led's on the DK2 have no physical input to the pc directly and are in no way unique to individual rifts. The IR leds on the Rift are there simply for pattern recognition for the camera to track 3d space movement.

If you have ever used your Rift with an window behind you, you would have probably noticed an occasional shift or jump while playing. Sometimes i completely lose all positional tracking if my blinds are open. This is because the IR light coming in from the window is interfering with the cameras pattern recognition for the DK2. So i would imagine, if you had 2 Rifts in view of the camera, 1 of 2 things will probably happen.

1) the players views will bounce left and right as the camera recognizes the two patterns and tries to track both
2) positional tracking will be lost as the rifts specific IR pattern can't be found.

This is at least how my AR development has led me. If the camera can't find my designated patter, it simply doesn't track. So i would imagine option 2 being the most likely scenario.
But Oh, how bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man's eyes.

Semicidal
Honored Guest
This also means you can probably induce judder with a wii mote if you dont like the person for whom you are giving a demo :twisted:

RedCell
Honored Guest
It should certainly be possible, when Crystal Cove/DK2 was first demoed one of the biggest demos was Couch Knights which involved two people sitting next to each other and sharing an experience.

If you give it a google there are plenty of articles talking about the demos and showing pictures of people sitting side by side, for example:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5955&d=1403896618

and

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxGzuaJCMAEVA9i.jpg:large

Semicidal
Honored Guest
In the first picture, once of the cameras is pointed off to the side. In the second picture, both HMD's are very close to the camera, and there's a fair distance between the players. I guess I conceptualized the original question as putting both players on the same couch, which is not advisable (you could turn of positional tracking/disable the cameras.

PyroSteel
Protege
As long as the camera only sees 1 headset then you will be fine. If the camera were to see two headsets there would probably be issues. In both of those images though the players are sitting pretty close to the cameras, so the camera is only seeing the one headset. I guess what i imagined the OP asking was something like, stick two cameras out and have the players sitting in close proximity to each other (like on a couch), where the possibility of each of the cameras being able to see 2 headsets was a thing.
So yes, you can be next to someone with another headset, so long as their headset stays away from your camera. And even then, i just tried doubling my AR pattern in my app and it seems (at least with my program) the tracking will stick to the first pattern found. If an identical second pattern comes into view, the camera continues to track to the first recognized pattern. The problem with this though is if my camera recognizes the headset next to me fist, I would control my rotation, but the headset next to me would be controlling my position. Which would be nauseating. So i suggest just setting up your cameras so they will only be able to see 1 headset, just to prevent any positional tracking issues.

"Semicidal" wrote:
This also means you can probably induce judder with a wii mote if you dont like the person for whom you are giving a demo :twisted:

The wii mote actually has the camera in it. The wii bar has the ir leds, BUT YES you totally could. :lol:
But Oh, how bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man's eyes.