cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 full days with my rift and I'm really impressed

Traprock
Expert Protege
Got my Rift and set it up a couple of nights ago.  I've been diving into it a bit at a time.  I downloaded whatever free apps I could that seemed relevant.  I got it set up with Steam so I would be able to play Elite and P.Cars.  I was being careful not to have too high expectations but I am literally blown away.  I was worried about 2 things specifically.  God Rays and the "screen door" effect.  God rays for my kit seem non existent while playing any of the games/experiences I've loaded.  As for the screen door effect...It's only been more than slightly noticeable in Project cars but not enough to make the experience anything less than incredible.  I'm so in love with this tech.
My only continuing concern is lack of content.  There isn't a whole lot in the Oculus store I'm interested in.  Same goes for Steam.  I already had P.Cars and Elite installed.  Other than those, I intalled Toy Plane Heroes, Alt Space, Final Approach (doesn't seem to work) and DCS World (Also doesn't seem to work right in CV1)
Also a big plus is a GTX970 does just fine in VR.  I was planning to pick up a 1080 when they drop next week but now may wait for aftermarket OC'd editions or even 1080ti depending on release date.  Also my 2600K doesn't seem to be an issue so Please Oculus, let us remove the Warning about our systems not being up to snuff.
9 REPLIES 9

Wheatabits
Expert Protege
Glad you're having a good time!  Let me echo the ability of the GTX 970.  I was worried at first since it's at the bottom of the "recommended" specs, but man, it rocks VR with no issue.  I have seen no frame drops or anything that would cause me to get motion sick due to performance.  I am actually curious as to how much better a nicer GPU would run...I haven't seen a situation where I thought "man, I can see my 970 straining here."  Even the Unreal Showdown, which is basically some developers showing off, runs smooth as butter!

RadiAr3
Explorer
Try GTA V and play 1 first person. Go jump from a plane with a parachute or speed down a mountain on a dirtbike, go to the stripclub, get arrested, rob some stores i dunno. Guess u can do it all in GTA V 🙂

Traprock
Expert Protege
The 970 does run fine.  I'm looking forward to titles with higher graphical fidelity in which a 1080 or above would be neccessary. I don't mind the N64 graphics of games like Lucky's Tale but that's going to wear off soon.

nrosko
Superstar
Is the resolution as bad as they say? is it comparable to looking at my 1080 monitor an inch away?

nrosko
Superstar
Maybe similar to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMrVazZGTW8

Wheatabits
Expert Protege
@RadiAr3 do you mean standard first person for GTA V or with something like VorpX?

RadiAr3
Explorer
No u need to use something like VorpX as far as i know.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RadiAr3 said:

Try GTA V and play 1 first person. Go jump from a plane with a parachute or speed down a mountain on a dirtbike, go to the stripclub, get arrested, rob some stores i dunno. Guess u can do it all in GTA V 🙂

How does he do that when GTA V doesn't have VR support? Are you talking Vorp X?

jsbaugh
Explorer
The GTX 970 works well but it struggles in DCS at max settings.