Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 years later

OculusAbsolute
Protege
So my original three year old rift, thus far

has a broken left controller £100 to replace
already replaced face sponge thingy @ £30
Microphone is broken (no repair possible)
now the left earphone is completey broken

and my only option it appears is to buy a rift S which apart from not liking at all, and i consider barely a upgrade in any fashion to be frank has abundance of customer complaints from tracking to piss poor controller design when playing first person shooters.

either that or kiss VR gaming goodbye,what a joke TBH
18 REPLIES 18

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Here are a list of options in no particular order, can you come back with a simple reason why you would not consider @OculusAbsolute :  

- PS5 running PSVR
- PC running HP Reverb G2
- PC running Valve Index
- PC running Samsung Odyssey Plus
- PC running Pimax
- PC running StarVR
- PC running HTC Cosmos Elite
- PC running Varjo

And you already gave your feelings about PC running Rift-S.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OculusAbsolute
Protege
yes im not a fan nor excited about getting a rift S but... what can i do ?

i went to buy a rift S since im kinda software locked beyond belief into the oculus store and i cant get one every outlet is out of stock, save amazon who for some reason wants to charge an extra £150 for it, so they can swivel...

i just wait until i get one i guess, certainly not changing over with the software in mind nor console options.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i went to buy a rift S since im kinda software locked beyond belief into the oculus store and i cant get one every outlet is out of stock, save amazon who for some reason wants to charge an extra £150 for it, so they can swivel...

i just wait until i get one i guess, certainly not changing over with the software in mind nor console options.

When they were first announced I was not a fan of the specs and direction they took with the Rift S.
However when released I did order one just to see for myself, and turned out I liked it. Even better than my CV1.
I used earbuds rather than the crappy audio strap, and a USB desktop mic rather than the iffy built in mic.
The headset has performed quite well for me and use it on about a daily basis.

OculusAbsolute
Protege
yes im going to have to stick with the rift S anyway, changing to another headset will mean more cost than that to switch over the software i have for them. i forget the audio as well thats another HUGE complaint about the rift S i dont like either...

the build quailty is what makes me most angry combined with a multi million dollar owner like facebook and cant even offer a proper repair service for most issues, they only response is why don tyou buy a refurb headset from us for almost as much as it cost me in the first place.

its just a joke really

Anonymous
Not applicable
Get yourself a Rift S. Most people complaining about it haven't even tried it.

With regards to the sound, just change the settings in Windows. There's a thread on Reddit somewhere, I'll see if I can find it, it makes a HUGE difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't find it now.

When you get your Rift S go to your Windows Settings (Windows button and the Settings icon on the left), select System.

Then from the System screen select Sound on the left.

Then choose Sound Control Panel on the far right.

When the control panel appears click on Headphoes Rift S from the list of devices and press the Properties button. Click on the Enhancements tab and check the Bass Boost and Loudness Equalization boxes. Makes a big difference with the sound quality from the sound tubes.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Understood - the Rift-S is a compromise in development, but it is a better alternative than may would agree with. It was built to attract a certain audience, and sadly the high-end PC VR community was not the core focus, but it is not as bad as painted. 

There was a rumor of a Lenovo update but that information was based on Asian translation and may have been miss interpretation - and as you know I try and avoid recommending people to wait on very speculative design promises. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OculusAbsolute
Protege
okay problem has been resolved, a friend of mine who i just went to visit today sold me his CV1 which has hardly ever been out of the box so fingers crossed theres another 3years worth of VR gaming in this one at the least. by which time i might be able to totally skip the rift S version altogether...

and as a bonus this means ive now got replacement facia, replacement right controller, and two additional sensors

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

okay problem has been resolved, a friend of mine who i just went to visit today sold me his CV1 which has hardly ever been out of the box so fingers crossed theres another 3years worth of VR gaming in this one at the least. by which time i might be able to totally skip the rift S version altogether...

and as a bonus this means ive now got replacement facia, replacement right controller, and two additional sensors

What if Oculus stop support for their external sensors? I've been looking to get an Oculus Cv1 as a backup for the Oculus exclusives, but I worry that the sensors will just stop working one day with an update. I had the chance to get just the Oculus Cv1 headset for £100 once, but now they all come with sensors and stuff and sell for much more.
I just find Oculus as a company to be a bit frustrating tbh. Because they can't even say how long they are going to continue to support Oculus Cv1.I'd like to think I could pickup a cheap Oculus Cv1, but what's the point if I don't know how long it's going to be supported? They've already stopped selling something as simple as a replacement cable for it.