cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D reversal!?

TastyNacho
Honored Guest
A bit of an odd question but say you took the regular left and right images displayed in the Oculus and switched them, so the left eye is seeing the right eye's image and vice-versa.

What kind of visual effect would this create?
More of curiosity than application, really.
11 REPLIES 11

dbuck
Honored Guest
mainly headaches, i think a negative IPD will do that in the unity plugin

Thomixioso
Honored Guest
You will see inverted picture. Example. You are watching 3d sphere in front of the plane. If you flip left/right image, you get hole in the plane. It is same as you are watching stereograms. You can use cross-eye viewing or focusing eyes to infinte. Accoding that you get normal or inverted picture.

Indigo
Honored Guest
A https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscope !

At least I think that's it. Remember reading about an old school optical illusion like this. Turns everything concave into convex right?

Apparently people used to build helmets with multiple mirrors that would switch your eye positions.

It's on my list of weird experiments to try out. I'm even thinking of trying to do this with individual items in game worlds. Or "windows" into other rooms.

PS: Also "spinning objects appear to be spinning in the opposite direction" according to the internets.

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
Close things look far and far things look close. Except your other depth perception senses are still telling you the opposite. So it's just really weird and uncomfortable.

Surprisingly, some stupid people don't seem to be able to tell the difference though. I can't work out why. Even after you explain it to them. Really strange.

Yam
Honored Guest
You would just see in normal 3d again but it might take a while.
Your brain tries to make sense of anything you give it eventually it would work out the depth information from what is provided and continue as normal.
It would take longer without any tactile feedback (i.e in vr).

There have been some strange experiments that back up my thoughts on this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perceptual_adaptation

Anonymous
Not applicable
"2EyeGuy" wrote:
Surprisingly, some stupid people don't seem to be able to tell the difference though. I can't work out why. Even after you explain it to them. Really strange.

It's nothing to do with being stupid, and you're a little bit stupid yourself for thinking that. It is because about 10% (reportedly) of the population are stereo-blind and don't have stereoscopic 3D vision (called stereopsis). Most people who are stereo-blind don't know it. Of course most of the time it makes no difference since that is only one of the many visual cues you use to interpret 3D structure (the main one is parallax, which is why those "wiggle stereograms" work so well).

IVI4tt
Honored Guest
Honestly, not much. There's still a 3D effect -- it's just very weak. In addition, you get awful binocular rivalry at close objects/far objects and sharp transitions of depth (for instance, window edges).

There'll be some cases where the depth is "wrong" but your brain filters most of them out.

I made this a little while ago to demonstrate the difference.

Peejle
Explorer
"Thomixioso" wrote:
You will see inverted picture. Example. You are watching 3d sphere in front of the plane. If you flip left/right image, you get hole in the plane. It is same as you are watching stereograms. You can use cross-eye viewing or focusing eyes to infinte. Accoding that you get normal or inverted picture.

This worries me a bit because I always see cross eye stereograms as inverted or 'hollowed out'. Have no problem viewing 3d movies. Also, in certain rare text / color combinations on web pages I can see a subtle 3d effect where the text pops out or inverts relative to the background with no eye crossing or 3d hardware.

jwilkins
Explorer
Stereo disparity can be both positive and negative due to convergence of your eyes on a single point, so your brain is already has the ability interpret "reversed" images as both closer and farther away.

As for using the word "stupid" in this context my only response is: Are people who are color blind stupid for not being able to see certain colors?
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻