cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$600 - Quick Poll

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Oculus released the Rift price point about $100-200 higher than many people expected.

Do you feel that
a) They have released a $400 product with $100-200 profit built-in.
b) They end product is better, but unfortunately the price reflects this

I guess what I'm asking is "Do you feel Palmer Luckey is lying about releasing for cost?"
Since this site won't let me do a poll, I'll just look through the answers and try to keep a running tally.
I don't want to bias this survey, so I won't reply until page 3 (if it ever gets that far)

RESULTS
a) 2
b) 11
c) 2 (other)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke
35 REPLIES 35

LKostyra
Protege
My answer:

c) I cannot say, because I did not receive the Rift yet, nor have I played with it. When I will get it, I will be able to choose my option. 🙂

If I had to choose now, I would give them a benefit of the doubt and chose a b) option. However, as I said, this can change when I will get my CV1 and after I will try it out.
DK1: Received DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received CV1: (Jan 6) Pending Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM

GJMOH
Protege
I think they are losing money @ $600

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
Even if, Why do you feel they deserve no profit for working years to bring VR to the public? People are so self entitled to think the company should just pour years of hard work and sell it to possibly not get some kind of return for the work?

Fk. I had sticker shock for about 20 seconds before saying "I think the dk2 was worth every penny, so here goes"

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
b) They end product is better, but fortunately the price reflects this

Honestly, the higher price makes me feel more comfortable with my purchase. I feel confident that it will be a quality product.

Maxxgold
Rising Star
b) The consumer Oculus Rift is worth more than 600 dollars so I'm fine with the price tag.

Ironlemons
Protege
I'm just scared that many but not enough people will buy CV1 leaving the amount of user too low for big game and software companies to bother wasting their money and time by developing stuff for VR platform, which in turn will keep the potential customers away even if they were to drop price later... which in turn will make companies think VR is dead and we have to wait 10-15 more years until some company tries their luck with VR

smilertoo
Protege
If the price bump was needed to remove the screen door effect i suspect most people will be happy with it once it arrives. I suspect it also means VR wont take off until 2017 when they can drop the price.

wan5
Explorer
I know CEO's never lie, or make mistakes. so I fully believe every rift is sold at cost. However, im looking for the rebate option for us UK buyers.

You see, $599 is £412 at the minute, according to Xe.com. (£410 on day of launch).

We take the £410 and add our VAT, bringing our total to £492. (£7 difference)

Shipping at £30. I shipped xbox one consoles and ps4 consoles with collect plus for £9.59 insured. (difference of £20.41).

So, £27.41 ($39.70) discrepancy.

I might have missed something

I can tell you for a fact, there is not that much of a profit margin on brand new consoles. So for something sold at cost, I wouldn't mind that extra $40 per unit sold in the UK alone.

That's before you start looking at others EU prices and charges. 😕

Anonymous
Not applicable
B) I definitely think it's worth the price just like any product on the bleeding edge. I like many of my friend think that Oculus made the correct decision to go all out with CV1 rather than releasing what would essentially be DK3. As much as it pained me to see that $672 checkout price, I knew it will be worth it in the long run. The only problem is this, I don't want to wait 4 months 😛