cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Possible Reason Why The Quest 2 is So Cheap ?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I am not sure if this has been discussed on this forum before - but I have been watching a couple of videos and was struck by a point raised and wanted to discuss this here.

The key premise is that:

>The Quest 2 is so cheap not only because of cost saving in the manufacturing process from the Quest-1 - but fundamentally Facebook are "loaning" this to users, with only the carriage and minimal costs being paid for. With this undertaking and acceptance of the terms and Facebook login the user is agreeing to using a Facebook subsidized device, rather than buying a product they wholly own. That would explain the various control issues of banning improper use, and the removal of access to what Facebook feels is their hardware.

[Facebook has subsidies the Quest-2 and ecosystem, and retain ownership of it]

I wonder how people feel about this, do they think the premise is incorrect and no matter what they wholly own their purchase? 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
70 REPLIES 70

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Yeah, it's almost as if Facebook took over ownership of Oculus in 2014 or something, and then put Facebook logo's all over their products and this forum. Crazy!
 😛 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I've read the TOS of life. FOS is an illusion.  In the UK at least, if you even fart someone will be offended or triggered, so you just have to hold it in. 

Anyhow, on topic Quest 2 is most likely heavily subsidized where FB gets some returns from peripheral sales and software. Plus, their vision of more headsets in homes for the greater good.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I've read the TOS of life. FOS is an illusion.  In the UK at least, if you even fart someone will be offended or triggered, so you just have to hold it in. 

Hmm, but respectfully, your views on FOS and being offended didn't seem to apply when VR YouTubers would show up here and share their videos. They were good, constructive, on-topic videos of VR hardware and game playthroughs. On more than one occasion you would respond with hostility and make them feel unwanted.

And many left to other mediums. So how can you now suddenly advocate for freedom of speech? Or even chastise others for being easily offended?

And then after insulting all those VR Youtubers, you started your own VR YouTube channel and shared your vids here! You even have your YouTube channel linked in your sig right now.

FOS of speech is far from an illusion. People just confuse "freedom of speech" with "freedom of consequence."

As for the TOS of Life, it has a huge chapter on double-standards, contradictions, and hypocrisy that I think people tend skip.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Anyhow, on topic Quest 2 is most likely heavily subsidized where FB gets some returns from peripheral sales and software. Plus, their vision of more headsets in homes for the greater good.

As a thought experiment,  Given most folk accept the reason that the Q2 is as cheap as it is is down to facebook data harvesting, and lots of people complaining about forced facebook integration (I admit i dont love it myself either)
I wonder if FD countered with a put up or shut up option then - like Amazon do with the advertising on the kindle.
you could buy your Quest device as is now for £300 (insert local price here)
and then you have an option on activation to sync with facebook OR pay  a £200 service access fee, which then allows that device to access all content without sharing details with facebook.
In theory all the naysayers  should be happy as we all have an option.... Me.... I would grumble and my tight Northerner would definitely take over and i would take the cheap option.
What I *think* would happen would be some of the people who really complain about facebook now, would still complain and demand the facebook access tax be dropped.... but at that point it would be very clear (imo) who was being unreasonable, and it wouldnt be Facebook.
Facebook would still make some money in such a system over and above the fee, due to software sales, and presumably there would still be advertising, it just would not be as targeted.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
@zenbane people are allowed to change their stance y'know. So in the case of people posting their YT videos I simply figured not to be an ass about it because it's no big deal in the grand scheme. 

My beef initially until I settled down, was people spamming their channel content WITHOUT proper forum participation. I have always been an active poster first, youtube spammer second. 

😉 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@zenbane people are allowed to change their stance y'know. So in the case of people posting their YT videos I simply figured not to be an ass about it because it's no big deal in the grand scheme. 

My beef initially until I settled down, was people spamming their channel content WITHOUT proper forum participation. I have always been an active poster first, youtube spammer second. 

Okay but that still skirts the main issue. What you are describing even in this comment is your own criteria for "allowing FOS." In this case, you literally just said that people should only be allowed to express their FOS under the condition that they engage in "proper forum participation."

What is proper forum participation, exactly? lol

And that's not the only time you've expressed this sort of "anti-FOS" either, my friend. There is also the time you heatedly chastised Devs for daring to come here and rate/review their own games. Because apparently, someone who builds games can't express their FOS to talk positively about their work. I won't link to that convo, but I'm sure you recall. I disagreed so strongly with your anti-FOS stance in that situation that I stopped posting my game reviews in your Megathread.

So again, with respect, FOS is not really something you've advocated for historically on this forum. Kinda the opposite, bro.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Oh jeeze, that game voting by devs is another issue entirely. Pretty divisive if I recall. Let's not go there again. I wouldn't class that as FOS though, so we'll have to differ on that.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oh jeeze, that game voting by devs is another issue entirely. Pretty divisive if I recall. Let's not go there again. I wouldn't class that as FOS though, so we'll have to differ on that.

It's funny how quickly society can draw lines around what classifies as both "freedom" and "speech," huh?

But you proved my point both times. In this thread you said that YouTubers need to first prove themselves on this forum before being allowed to show their content (express their FOS), and you don't even qualify a developer praising their work as "freedom of speech."

Well there it is: happily limiting freedom of speech. Glad we understand each other.  😉

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Regardless.

Remember this, I don't make the rules here. I am insignificant in this regard. So, I figured it's better to just roll with the status quo. Na mean? Maybe I spend too much time on reddit where they have a 9/1 self-promo policy. But c'mon man, that's water under the bridge. Totally moved on from that now. What is pertinent is how your nemesis is perma-banned. That's a little harsh don't cha think?

Regarding the ban.

Two forum members were given final warnings and that meant final, we even had to create a thread just for the purpose.

The forum was constantly disrupted by feuding and in my opinion both members were somewhat obsessed with each other. On the public side that was bad enough because of the effect it had on other people who just wanted to discuss various topics but added to that was the responses to requests to modify behaviours via pms with moderators.

I'm not going to go into detail but when moderators ask for a change in behaviour, arguing a case to the point that the repeated conversations resemble something akin to War and Pease doesn't help, particularly when becoming aggressive.

The moderators are patient up to a point.

Now my personal opinion is to give some leeway whenever possible but probably more so to people who are consumers of Oculus hardware and software as those are the people this forum was created for. But as I say, both members were given final warnings and one warning still applies.