cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question on depth perception in the rift.

hellary
Protege
Hey all,

Once I got my DK2, my graphics card proved to be too limiting (590) and so I had to put any serious rift play (and hopefully work too once I get to grips with VR) on hold until I got a new card. I got a 980 a while ago but work has meant that I haven't been able to spend any time with my rift. With the holidays coming up and some down time potentially ahead, I'm ready to delve back into the rift.

I've tried a few demos so far and while everything is very cool, I feel like I'm not getting the sense of depth that others rave about. For example, I watched a film in MaxVR last night (the longest I've spent in the Rift so far) and I used the cinema setting. I flew myself up though so that I was floating parallel to the centre of the screen. Looking down, I didn't get a sense of height though. Another example is Titans of Space. I really enjoyed this (especially as I'm a planetary astrophysicist by training) but I think I was missing out on the scale of things. This was most obvious to me in the 'scale shrinking' parts. I think it says something like 'we're shrinking space now so X should be about the size of a beachball' or something and I didn't really notice any change before the 'shrinking' and after. It looked about the same to me.

My question is, might this be caused by my high IPD? I'm 69.5mm. From what I've been able to tell, this does mean that my area of focus is small but I haven't seen anything in regards to depth of field.
2 REPLIES 2

drash
Heroic Explorer
"hellary" wrote:
Another example is Titans of Space. I really enjoyed this (especially as I'm a planetary astrophysicist by training) but I think I was missing out on the scale of things. This was most obvious to me in the 'scale shrinking' parts. I think it says something like 'we're shrinking space now so X should be about the size of a beachball' or something and I didn't really notice any change before the 'shrinking' and after. It looked about the same to me.

To be fair, the Sun and planets are fairly distant at the point when "space is shrinking", which is why I recently added a couple of random asteroids next to your cockpit (in 1.70) so that you can visually see the scale change before/during/after that particular step. Once you make the trip around the large stars and come back to looking at the Solar System planets close-up (before expansion), it should be *incredibly* obvious at this point that all the planets and the Sun are now 50x smaller than they were at the start.

If you're not feeling the sense of scale from that, then yes I'd definitely say there's something wrong with your setup. One thing you could try is clearing out your Oculus Config Util's profiles and creating a new one. I have heard that some of these profiles get corrupted and thus your IPD is off even if you think you set it correctly.

Hope you get it figured out!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

morenosuba
Explorer
space games like Titans of Space are hard for sense of scale because it's really tough to get a sense of scale from planets. they are either dots of light or big balls of color. even games like Elite/Star Citizen you can only get a real sense of scale when you have a space station you can fly around, or an asteroid belt where you can fly right up to thousands of asteroids, and you can see other ships flying around too.

however, if you play games like Skyrim you should find out pretty quickly if there is something wrong with your sense of scale. Everything feels pretty big in Skyrim. even just going up to horses feels like going up to a Clydesdale.