cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A true Dungeon Crawler coming to PCVR: Operencia

Zenbane
Level 16

Operencia the Stolen Sun

This is available now for standard pancake gaming, and has gotten good reviews. Excited to play this on my Rift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9IhTStm2lg

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/985950/view/2412188442255783516
11 REPLIES 11

OmegaM4N
Level 11
This game is awesome, played it a while back on gamepass on the xbox, loved it to bits, it's in the form of a old 90s RPG square by square movement, right up there with Dungeon Master, Eye of the beholder or Land of lore...... it held me right to the end, and it is quite a nice looking game also, so i think i might grab it again and play through in VR.

RuneSR2
Level 16

Just to follow up, the game arrived for the Rift September 28 2020:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/3771845452841767/?locale=en_US

- and on Steam with a free demo available:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/985950/Operencia_The_Stolen_Sun/

ss_e1ff7136ca1846b3039a524e7f55ee78b85dca2d.1920x1080.jpg

ss_7a86a610cdf678c1defdd2e8ca9897789433566e.1920x1080.jpg

ss_65ac46b026561ce24300202ff70f733e3ef20d27.1920x1080.jpg

ss_b3ad87bfe9e97194e4e247c8f8f357581bf96b9f.1920x1080.jpg

ss_0b21a16bfd4adfdf6c763e489c980ac6de8fed74.1920x1080.jpg

     

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Level 11

I had no idea this now had VR support yet, so downloading demo now, and i really enjoyed this game in 2d as it scratched all my old Dungeon master, Lands of Lore, Eye of the beholders games itch from back in the day.

I also just tried the demo, turns out the demo has no VR support. So we need to buy the full version, but Steam refunds very quickly...

The Oculus version says it only supports gamepad, but reading the reviews Touch is supported. Not sure if the Steam version supports native Oculus drivers.

Might wait for a sale, there are many 1 star reviews in the Oculus Store. Last Steam sale was 60% off. 

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Level 11

^^Yeap, the demo does not have VR support, so i will also wait as i have quite a few VR games on the backburner until i get that Index HMD.

Ok, I might jump in and test the game - but I've refunded many games lately, hope Steam has a lot of patience, lol.

Oculus' refunds take days or maybe a week, I'm more careful when buying there if I'm not sure the game is great. This game is dark and textures don't seem high-res, might benefit from oled and some CV1 SDE. Having the Index constantly connected, I can only use CV1 in Steam games when native Oculus drivers are supported. Thus if the Steam version only uses Steam drivers, I need the Oculus version to use the CV1. (I know I could just turn off the Index, but I refuse removing cables on the back of the rig - and that would be cumbersome too)

It easily get complicated buying games these days 

RuneSR2_0-1615717560221.png

Concerning my refunds - I finally tried that Hot dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades last night - ok, it's not totally garbage, but I was far from impressed, close to instant refund. Might elaborate on than - in another thread 🙂

I did just buy the game on Steam - it's big, 21GB, but a 15GB download. 

Couldn't get the controllers to work - at first. When the game is started, it wants a gamepad - easily fixed, or so I thought. Might be good to have a keyboard ready too. At first the game didn't react to my Xbox controller - but the keyboard worked. The important thing is to enter options and switch to the Touch controllers - then the Index controllers worked perfectly. 

I think it's best to close SteamVR after changing in-game controllers, and then restart everything (before doing that I had trouble getting the controllers to work - after increasing SteamVR res and wanting to try the game again). After a full SteamVR restart - the game now seems to pick up the Index controller every time - but be prepared to spend some time on getting controllers to work (if you're unlucky like me). 

The Steam version does not support Oculus drivers at all - launching the game from Oculus Home doesn't even start SteamVR, but starts the pancake version. I'd love to use CV1 for this game, but it's not all bad. 

The game was quite blurry using Index res 100% - fortunately and to my great surprise, I got solid 90 fps when forcing Index res 200% - and the game looked so much better. I think even if I could use CV1 ss 2.0, Index res 200% with the fov is very hard to beat. 

I'm so happy for these results, I'm thinking I'm gonna support the devs and pay the full price for this game! 

RuneSR2_0-1615745756070.png

Shadowmask72
Level 16

IS the game any good tho?

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Not sure yet, only played for about 30 minutes. It sure is old school like Eye of the Beholder. Newbies may not have the stomach for the very smooth forward grid movement. Or just try it - you've got 2 hours to test the game. 

I made the error of starting the pancake version - now I need to somehow get access to the game in VR and change back to Touch. 

Searching the Steam reviews - and just searching for VR - I found these reviews - mixed positive and negative reviews (if some complain that Index controllers do not work then that is no longer correct, Touch also works)

Might get back to the game later tonight - but there's also C17YSCAPE Alyx - and I need my WW1 Warplane flying lesson... So little time! 

RuneSR2_0-1615915424473.png

This game is wonderful in VR. The visual are stunning and other than a minor issue with trying to interact with certain items it's an enjoyable experience. Personally I think all old school Dungeon Crawlers should do what Operencia did for VR support.

Utterly wonderful in VR.

After nearly finishing:
Ok so the style never disappointed - made the game totally worth it just for the art and I like the story too. The game is really beautiful!
I got all the way through - except did not yet beat the final boss or Bob. Tried both fights but they are really long dragged out and very luck dependent. I may try em again but not really into hour long battle where I have to repec to get through just to see the end credits. 52 hours over xmas break was pretty good for $11 too.
Note about VR: I have valve index and while game looks awesome in vr, it doesn't support index controllers so cannot be played in VR mode 😞

Gameplay:

Its what can be expected from a grid based dungeon crawler. If your looking for more modern looking take on the old Bard's Tales and TSR D&D titles this is like those. The puzzles and challenges are rather simple and easy to get through. Combat is similarly easy to sort out and will have you breezing through most of the encounters in short order.

Visuals/Art:
The design and art style is well done, everything seems to fit together and works well. It uses a mix of cut-paper style animation (in cut scenes) along with 3d models in 3d dungeons. The "VR" mode is interesting for about 10 minutes. If your trying to show your friends that you didn't waste your money on your shiny VR rig this isn't really the game to show them.

Story/Interaction
Unfortunately, this is where this game takes a big nosedive and ruins the quality work done by the rest of the team. The voice acting can be overlooked as not horrid but not good either. The writing is what really turns this into a turd. Every other line of dialog out of the characters are snarky one-liners. The developers may have thought this was cute or endearing while in actuality it made me want the monsters to win. The characters come off as a collection of annoying ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. Nothing is really done with the story to develop the characters you must suffer with. To say that the story/dialog is lazy and poorly executed is being kind. I really would have liked to finish this game, I've always enjoyed gridders but the writing in this one is so bad that I just can't suffer through it.

Just to say, with no bearing on the quality of the game, the VR implementation makes me ill (I've logged a couple hunderd hours in VR games). The grid based movement follows your controller dpad, not your head, so pressing forward may take you in a different direction than where you're looking. You'll find yourself sliding and stopping as your character observes the grid based movement. Played about 20mins and I got hit by a wave of VR sickness.

I think the devs can allievate this by introducing more comfort and movement options and, which the game currently has none.

Lastly, the VR graphics are locked to one setting, which is quite modest.

I'm a new VR player and love turn based games, so this is a gem in my opinion. Puzzles, hidden chests and strategic combat gives this game a good combination of fun. Movement is a bit clunky as you follow a grid but you easily adapt to it. Levels of difficulty keep you on your feet and rethink strategy when you are defeated. Good amount of loot and levelling up characters gives you a good amount of options on how you want the to support the party.