cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD FSR and VR, just wow

ohgrant
Level 9

As I'm sure most know that AMD has made their version of DLSS open source and even works on NVidia cards.  There are many youtube videos about how to mod individual games and who would benefit most.

There is also a Steam app that you can run in the background called Lossless scaling, that I confirmed does work in VR. Only two games I had a chance to try it out on were. Fallout 4 VR, my PC usually handles this game very nicely but the fans would certainly rev up. With FSR the GPU fans stay close to idle on that one. The other was Doom FSR. Just wow on that one, seemed to have a 100% increase in performance and looked wonderful.  AMD FSR and Lossless scaling app has postponed any immediate GPU upgrade plans here     

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
13 REPLIES 13

ohgrant
Level 9

No other steps I can think of. One thing that comes to mind is my WMR software changes the default VR runtime.  Right now I'm getting "Oculus is not set to default openXR runtime, this might prevent some apps from working, click here to set default..." I'll change it back to openXR to see if I can reproduce your white screen error and get back to you.

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  

ohgrant
Level 9

Just tried it with "Aircar" and working in openXR also, right now at a loss to explain what's going on with beat sabre . Possibly an anti-cheat software blocking it for multi-player apps? 

Edit: OK it's failing every time set to openXR now, game launching but not affected. To early to come to conclusions on that one but seems when working in Aircar, it's not the game that is displayed on the monitor just a black screen with the lossless scaling app in the center, but larger with no title bar. 

Edit 2: Yeah for some reason, changing it back by clicking on WMR's "fix it" button for openXL seems to do the trick for me.  When it's working in Aircar, and a few other games, this is what I see on my monitor/TV. when invoked 

LS fs.png

Interesting, thanks for you tests, do you choose a specific window when you scale, or do you just ctrl+ alt+s after you lunched the game? Or do you do it before lunching the game? Before lunching steam VR maybe?

I have a 1080ti as well by the way, with an Oculus Quest 1 and I use virtual dekstop. ^^

ohgrant
Level 9

I've done it both ways with Steam Games. The times I've used Oculus with aircar, I've been launching the game, then hitting the 5 second button. 

Just tried it with Virtual Desktop and sure seems to be working in that too.