cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD GPU's user topic

cristianfx
Explorer
Hi,
im reading a lot of people talking about how bad is AMD with oculus, im an AMD user (7950 Vapor-x) and im a little worry about it. Im still waiting my dk2, its coming... so I would like to have some amd users experiences, information, recomendations about configs.

thank you.
CV1 and Touchs + 3 sensors From: Argentina
30 REPLIES 30

ht88
Honored Guest
Look, brother, I do not know how to say this but if you are seriously into VR, drop AMD right now and go Nvidia without a doubt. AMD is obviously second best as usual, their cards although have good specs just plain suck...now add to that this new VR era and AMD has done NOTHING. Not one announcement about anything VR related. The massive news on the 25th of Sep was about an AMD GPU that was already available to the West, being now available in India..WtF 🙂

Nvidiaat has announcement VR Direct, which means you will be able to play all your games with your DK2. Even ones that are not supported.

Vote with your wallet and ditch AMD. Let them hang themselves. Sell your piece of shit of a card and come Nvidia.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"cristianfx" wrote:
Hi,
im reading a lot of people talking about how bad is AMD with oculus, im an AMD user (7950 Vapor-x) and im a little worry about it. Im still waiting my dk2, its coming... so I would like to have some amd users experiences, information, recomendations about configs.

thank you.

There have been no big issues with my R9 290x and DK2. You will need faster GPU and i can recommend R9 series but you should look also new nVidia GPU's. Personally i would wait a bit more before buy new one...

sc4r
Honored Guest
"ht88" wrote:
Look, brother, I do not know how to say this but if you are seriously into VR, drop AMD right now and go Nvidia without a doubt. AMD is obviously second best as usual, their cards although have good specs just plain suck...now add to that this new VR era and AMD has done NOTHING. Not one announcement about anything VR related. The massive news on the 25th of Sep was about an AMD GPU that was already available to the West, being now available in India..WtF 🙂

Nvidiaat has announcement VR Direct, which means you will be able to play all your games with your DK2. Even ones that are not supported.

Vote with your wallet and ditch AMD. Let them hang themselves. Sell your piece of shit of a card and come Nvidia.

Wow how did you manage to pull such a giant pile of bullcrap out of your ass.
I can go and go about why I preffer amd but thats just an opinion as worthless as yours because PREPARE FOR THE SHOCKING TRUTH... YOU WILL HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME GAME EXPERIENCE ON BOTH BRANDS! And most of the time it's cheaper to go amd.
Ohh, Nvidias "hmd mode". Thats just time warp which palmer promised will work on all cards for cv1. "vr direct"? Oculus are openly agains that and if you really want to just use a 3d driver like tridef (works for amd). You dont need these features to develop. And if you absolutely need low latency just turn vsync off.
OP, you have a killer rig more than capable for developing and for great game experience as well. Save your cash and enjoy what you have, I wish I had 7950.

cristianfx
Explorer
"sc4r" wrote:

OP, you have a killer rig more than capable for developing and for great game experience as well. Save your cash and enjoy what you have, I wish I had 7950.

thank you!

willste
Explorer
Yeah for now don't worry too much about performance. Every card more or less has issues. Unoptimized unity and unreal 4 demos aren't going to run particularly well on any card high end or mid-ranged. There are so many setup variables and issues with tweaking the SDK to consider.

Your card is fine, save your money and work with what you've got. If you drop loads of money to get a card that will just run DK2 well you will be disappointed because you will still find demos that run terribly on your card for no reason.

Im running an R9-290. It melts all released games. DK2 demos are hit or miss. Elite Dangerous works pretty well at almost all settings and that is one of the few games that is real honest to god beta. FPS in that game is similar to what I see from people with 780's...

Nvidia has a history of more solid SLI support than AMDs crossfire. If you are not running one of those setups though they tend to deliver pretty similar performance on all big name games. I'm not even sure if thats true anymore. The 7950 was part of an excellent series of cards and was certainly a better buy than Nvidia when you got it. Right now the card to buy is probably a 970...

cybereality
Grand Champion
Rift demos will work on both AMD and Nvidia GPUs.

Personally I'm more of an Nvidia guy, but AMD should also work OK.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

cristianfx
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
Rift demos will work on both AMD and Nvidia GPUs.

Personally I'm more of an Nvidia guy, but AMD should also work OK.

great, thank you.

as soon as i get my dk2, i will ask you tons of questions! my dk2 should be here soon, currently at the post-office.

ht88
Honored Guest
"sc4r" wrote:
"ht88" wrote:

Wow how did you manage to pull such a giant pile of bullcrap out of your ass.
I can go and go about why I preffer amd but thats just an opinion as worthless as yours because PREPARE FOR THE SHOCKING TRUTH... YOU WILL HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME GAME EXPERIENCE ON BOTH BRANDS! And most of the time it's cheaper to go amd.
Ohh, Nvidias "hmd mode". Thats just time warp which palmer promised will work on all cards for cv1. "vr direct"? Oculus are openly agains that and if you really want to just use a 3d driver like tridef (works for amd). You dont need these features to develop. And if you absolutely need low latency just turn vsync off.

Lol, please do tell me what part I made up?

Nvidia users will enjoy a plethora of games in VR with VR Direct. We won't have any issues with anti-cheat mechanisms within games and will have VR support for most of the games that have 3D vision support. Add to that the recent SLI announcement and it is bye bye AMD.

So what was announced on September 25th? You know, that massive marketing scheme that had red and blue pills as an ad...enlighten us.

Enjoy using your third party injector that doesn't even have DK2 support...rofl mmyess Have fun with the crashes and comp resets.

After all this and NOTHING from AMD in relation to VR technology, it would be stupid to buy an AMD card.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"ht88" wrote:

Lol, please do tell me what part I made up?

Nvidia users will enjoy a plethora of games in VR with VR Direct. We won't have any issues with anti-cheat mechanisms within games and will have VR support for most of the games that have 3D vision support. Add to that the recent SLI announcement and it is bye bye AMD.

So what was announced on September 25th? You know, that massive marketing scheme that had red and blue pills as an ad...enlighten us.

Enjoy using your third party injector that doesn't even have DK2 support...rofl mmyess Have fun with the crashes and comp resets.

After all this and NOTHING from AMD in relation to VR technology, it would be stupid to buy an AMD card.

They are both good and both will have support for VR direct. You are wrong on many fronts and it shows. Consider this your last warning and please stop the flaming.