cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AR/VR in museums

ilya_stasevich
Level 2

Hi everybody!

What do you think about using AR or VR in museums? Do you suppose it has a great future? What's your opinion?

I think that's very useful nowadays cause it has great prospects. Recently my company has written a short article about it:

https://vironit.com/the-benefits-of-augmented-and-virtual-reality-ar-vr-in-museums/

8 REPLIES 8

kevinw729
Level 15
Hi @"ilya.stasevich"
There are a number of examples of VR in museum and gallery installations - one of the funniest being back in 2017 with the NT art installation (picture). For many installations the issue of large audience throughput and the requirements of wearing a headset, compared to other applications of other immersive digital installations plays a factor in their deployment. Regarding AR - a few installations and promotional applications have been attempted - but we will have to wait and see the reaction to the Meow Mow / Magic Leap instillation in Washington this year, before we know if this is a new phase of development.

zvnq6oqoo2zk.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

snowdog
Level 15
Rather than VR headsets being used inside museums and galleries I think it's MUCH better for museum exhibits and pictures and sculptures to be recreated in VR so that people around the world can see these things without hopping on a plane.

There's already a few good examples of this on the Oculus Store - The Kremer Collection, The Night Cafe, Hold The World and Nefertari Journey To Infinity.

But the best example of this is Rekrei (formally known as Project Mosul) which has used tourist photos of exhibits in the Mosul Museum which were destroyed by Islamic fundamentalist nutjobs to recreate the exhibits in VR.

I reckon we're only 10 years or so away from every big museum and art gallery in the world being recreated in VR.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

ilya_stasevich
Level 2

amelitas
Level 2
I think that the use of VR in museams and recreation industy in a whole is a must have for 2020

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

amelitas said:

I think that the use of VR in museams and recreation industy in a whole is a must have for 2020

I think it's generally great to see VR being used for public education and recreation, but in 2020 specifically, publicly shared devices that you put on your face are probably not the best idea.

Snowdog's suggestion of using VR to virtually visit museums from the safety of home is better suited to the current global situation.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

snowdog
Level 15
That's cos the snowgog ALWAYS talks sense. B)
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

amelitas
Level 2

nalex66 said:

amelitas said:

I think it's generally great to see VR being used for public education and recreation, but in 2020 specifically, publicly shared devices that you put on your face are probably not the best idea.

Snowdog's suggestion of using VR to virtually visit museums from the safety of home is better suited to the current global situation.

I read that after this lockdown each 8th museum in the world will be closed for ever, maybe they will move to VR 😞 So VR is cool, but it's sad to see how it replace our cultural inheritance in some way

Palm3
Level 2

The most straightforward way is to use it to add explanations of pieces. This means visitors will get more information when they view exhibitions using AR. Museums could even use it to display digital versions of artists next to their work. It is also used here