cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abrash says, “When the next generation of VR shows up, it will be because we did it.”

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Bold, but likely true, words coming from Abrash during a recent interview.
No company has invested at anywhere near the level we have. When the next generation of VR shows up, it will be because we did it. I see no other way it’ll happen.

I actually am remarkably impressed with [Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg] and Facebook’s strong commitment to and belief in VR. Everybody sees that AR will replace the phone someday. That seems like a given. But I think that VR will be as important as AR. AR can replace the phone, but VR can replace the personal computer.

"Publicly available data indicates that Facebook currently controls around 50% of the PC VR market and the company currently faces no serious competition in the standalone VR space."
https://uploadvr.com/michael-abrash-the-information-interview-2020/

Coming out of 2019, I very strongly felt that while there were some decent headsets released (e.g. Valve Index, HP Reverb), we have not yet seen a true Next Gen device. Abrash seems to feel the same, and based on the amount of investment Facebook/Oculus is putting forth in to VR compared to all competitors, it would make sense that the next true Next Gen device will come from Facebook.

Unless a new player joins, like Apple?
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
He also said during that interview that he was looking forward to Nakamura's Fall being released, probably around the same time as the Rift4 in 2028 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
And Apple joining the VR race will be a disaster. It'll end up costing three times as much as every other headset and won't be compatible with ANYTHING.

We'll see the Rift 2 being released in 2022 I think. 4K displays, proper IPD adjustment, eye tracking and foveated rendering and the varifocal feature for $399. And in the same year (or maybe the year before?) we'll see the Quest S being released for $299, basically the Quest version of the Rift S.

inovator
Consultant

snowdog said:

And Apple joining the VR race will be a disaster. It'll end up costing three times as much as every other headset and won't be compatible with ANYTHING.

We'll see the Rift 2 being released in 2022 I think. 4K displays, proper IPD adjustment, eye tracking and foveated rendering and the varifocal feature for $399. And in the same year (or maybe the year before?) we'll see the Quest S being released for $299, basically the Quest version of the Rift S.

You may be underestimating apple. I personally like my samsung note 8 and would never by another apple phone. But the apple followers will pay through the nose for overpriced apple products. Apple has a history of improving on existing products. If they come up with an innovative lightweight ar or vr headset it could work for them. They have quite a few ar and vr patents and a team working on the tech. Let's hope they join in. It would contribute in pushing vr and ar forward

kojack
MVP
MVP
Next gen would be cool, I just wish Oculus did better with THIS gen and partnered with HP instead of Lenovo to make a Rift Reverb.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

I just wish Oculus did better with THIS gen and partnered with HP instead of Lenovo

Anonymous
Not applicable
This year will be about Oculus GO. So far, it's shaping up to be getting more mobile VR into the hands of users in terms of "on the go" use and removing the high cost PC in between. With that said - software wise - looks like we're on for more bigger titles for the PC and with Link being the bridge to allow PC to see a increase growth of users that will be also on mobile.

Apple will have something - but it wont have the environment really design and focus on it for another year or two - thus as far as use case will go - Oculus will still be in the lead and bigger as they might seek a way to use the Apple API to bring over their product to the MAC. As for price - I think it will be irrelevant as it will be available for customer purchase - but wont be seen as really a purchase to make unless you have a need for it for design reasons/real work as we see most MAC computers out there are use for (aka, not game driven - even though yes, there have been strives to get more games for it - just not its main use case because of the higher cost machines already and their limited choice for GPUs/graphical hardware).

Hmm, I think what Oculus really does have is the environment eco-system to push forward with, but keep in mind - it wouldn't take too much to over top them on hardware if someone also "got it right" on release as well. Thus, what will make the difference will be the stores, software, and over all "just does it work" will be on Oculus side. Software will pop in and out from other locations outside of Oculus funding/supporting and functions/features/hardware will also do the same - but to have all that in place in one shot will be near impossible to do as time continues. 

KarstenS80
Adventurer

Mradr said:

Hmm, I think what Oculus really does have is the environment eco-system to push forward with

Don't forget Sony. Yes, they currently focus the PS5 release this year. But it will be fully compatible to PSVR and I'm pretty sure, they are already working on a PSVR2, which will fit better to the PS5.

inovator
Consultant

Mradr said:

Hmm, I think what Oculus really does have is the environment eco-system to push forward with

Don't forget Sony. Yes, they currently focus the PS5 release this year. But it will be fully compatible to PSVR and I'm pretty sure, they are already working on a PSVR2, which will fit better to the PS5.

Sonys psvr2 will be completely different in a good way. The ps5 will be out next holiday. Most likely psvr wont be out until 2021. 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^I doubt we will see PSVR2 until 2022 as the PS5 launch and establishing console sales will be their priority through 2021.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.