cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actions that you simply couldn't do in VR using only front facing inside-out cameras.

Dan1018
Adventurer
Probably the best game to take in consideration if we wish to discover which actions can't be archived with only the front facing cameras is Echo Arena. This game is perfect for esports. Today Microsoft will start to sell inside out tracked HMDs and in my opinion it's better to start considering what we could lose if that system become a standard the way it is now.

External sensors allow us to do very intuitive actions that couldn't be possible in VR using only inside-out tracking, those actions are natual, useful, funny and dynamic. I feel myself cool like cesar form planet of the apes when I play with a 360° freedom of movements!

I draw this to explain one of those actions

here I was clinging with my right arm.... making circle movements.... and with that arm I was moving holding the corner of a giant airbone polygon, this means that my right arm was reaching close to my back and with my left arm I was holding the disk ready to launch it.

And here there is another example.

here I grab to the airbone polygon and push all my body in one direction by releasing the
arms energy from the back. that is awesome.... and very natual as
action... but castrated by the inside out-only tracking concept design because all of this could not be possible without external sensors.

the last example, here I grab the aribone polygon than I push all my body to the ground, it's like a dip! and it's so awesome!

....so with this topic I beg Oculus with CV2, Microsoft with current gen, and Valve with CV2 to do not abandon the external sensor tech for the future, or to evolve the inside out tech to reach those results, because it's simply freedom of choice in movements.
p.s. Oculus please if possible let us use our old sensors with CV2 other then new ones if you are in plan to make a v.2.0 sensor.

23 REPLIES 23

PatimPatam
Protege
I agree, but i want Oculus to keep external sensors in Rift CV2 not to simply maintain the functionality that we already have, but to push the limits of what's possible, like enabling full-body tracking.

Obviously they should still try to reduce friction as much as possible for the end user, like getting rid of all usb problems, maybe by having custom chips on the sensors themselves that take care of the computer vision and just send the skeletal pose and geometrical data to the PC.

VRLAX
Protege

like enabling full-body tracking.

That was the deciding reason why I went with Oculus (that and the price reduction)
Sure, go for the inside out tracking for the headset, which would free up the sensors for body tracking.

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
I agree CV2 must have motion controller tracking that is at least as good as what we have now. I don't think they would dare make it a downgrade in that respect. Inside-out tracking is achievable for the headset. But for the controller tracking it is difficult to make it work. Even with extra camera sensors on the back strap of the headset there is severe occlusion whenever the controllers are close to the body.

Maybe Oculus could buy or license the tracking technology from Sixense as seen with the Razer Hydra. The base station could be integrated into the headset. No line of sight to the controller is needed. But the precision is currently inferior, only down to 1mm and 1 degree.

Siilk
Adventurer
While I agree with OP in the sense that current inside-out tracking is limiting the motion controllers' capabilities, I don't think we should focus on external sensor-based tracking as an only answer to this issue. I do agree that full range of hand/arm movement tracking must be supported but other options(inside-out tracking cameras on controllers, additional cameras on headset etc) should be explored as well. But until a suitable alternative will be developed, sensor-based tracking is a necessity for hi-end HMDs.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Archery. When you pull the string back it will go below/beside the headset.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Dan1018
Adventurer

Luciferous
Consultant
Is it possible for the controllers to have inside out tracking?

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer

VRLAX said:

like enabling full-body tracking.

That was the deciding reason why I went with Oculus (that and the price reduction)
Sure, go for the inside out tracking for the headset, which would free up the sensors for body tracking.

You made the decision to buy an Oculus Rift now, based on the assumption that a future product of this company may offer a feature which clearly seems out of scope for the current product you just bought?

Why?

bigmike20vt
Visionary

dan108 said:

....so with this topic I beg Oculus with CV2, Microsoft with current gen, and Valve with CV2 to do not abandon the external sensor tech for the future, or to evolve the inside out tech to reach those results, because it's simply freedom of choice in movements.
p.s. Oculus please if possible let us use our old sensors with CV2 other then new ones if you are in plan to make a v.2.0 sensor.

or oculus could just put a camera on the back of the HMD?

ideally i could imagine it would be nice to have 6 cameras 4 on the front each angled slightly on the corners of the hmd, and then 2 on the back, both central one angled up a little and one angled down. 

(8 would of course be perfect but i guess at some point there will be diminishing returns... maybe one on the back would be enough)

occulusion would potentially still be an issue, but then it can be now...

maybe they could still support constellation sensors as an option? at least it would probably only need 2, on top of inside out tracking
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂