cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adventure VR (Dev Updates) SDK v0.4.1

rubixcube6
Explorer
Adventure, a game for the Atari 2600 video game console, was the very first action-adventure video game. I'm a big fan of the classics! I wanted to remake an old game for VR and what better place to start than a game that sparked a genre.

This is a Beta version of level one only. Please let me know if you run into any issues or glitches.
Download here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=8333

In case your still wondering what Adventure is, heres a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqZ5eFEdDU&t=0m19s

Suggestions and criticism welcome.

-
106 REPLIES 106

Darcanis
Adventurer
lol Now there's a game I haven't thought of in years! Classic 2600 type gaming.. Your character is a square block of solid color. No fancy body scans, face-mapping or lifelike textures back then! I'd definitely play this!! It's as Retro meets future as you can get. 😄

I'd like to see a few old Atari games remade in VR actually.

Secret Quest
Moon Patrol
Haunted House (Remade few years ago but not for VR of course)
Dandy
Crossbow

Wonder how long before someone remakes "Custer's Revenge". lol

As for non-atari imagine "Maniac Mansion VR"!

Anyway.. Keep it up I'll definitely play it!!! Looks just like I would imagine it looking if I was sucked Tron style into the game back when I use to play it on the old Atari!
Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave! Facebook buying the Oculus Rift! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Nukemarine
Rising Star
Don't forget the Easter Egg or the Gunters will never let you hear the end of it.

You just reminded me of what Cymatic Bruce attempted during last year's VR Jam where he was developing a "VRsion" of Atari Combat. When I saw that, I started wondering what classic Atari and arcade games could be re-imagined as a VR game while still keeping their flavor. Glad to see others attempting this with a preference for pure translations like you're doing. Odd thing about VR even blocky NPCs and environments still feel real so this can work.

kojack
MVP
MVP
It wasn't on the 2600 (it was on the the C64, Spectrum, Atari ST, Amstrad, pc and Amiga) but a great remake would be the Freescape engine games. Driller, Total Eclipse, Castle Master, etc.
First person 3d exploration games from 1987-1991.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

rubixcube6
Explorer
@nukemarine Oh yea, I'm definitely adding the Easter Egg! Gunters everywhere will be "ritchly" surprised 😉

All of these games mentioned would be cool in VR. I wish I could make games faster! lol Another one I had in mind was Wolfenstein 3D. I bet Carmack would like to see that one. 🙂

cubytes
Protege
this is awesome 🙂 i will have to keep this in mind. i can definitely see this as a technolust virtual arcade game

rubixcube6
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words! Its good to know there is interest in these kind of retro VR experiences.

Ive made some really good progress today on it, but I need some brainstorming help. What do you recommend is the best way to handle crossing the purple bridge thru walls?

jasonatokc
Honored Guest
I remember playing this game for hours when I was a little kid Awsome!!!!

Calanar
Honored Guest
Good deal. I remember this so well. It was my favorite game for a while. I played the hell out of it. I remember the "THING" and what you had to do with the "THING" to have the "THING" happen and then you found out who did the "THING". That was one of my first huge geekout moments. So thanks for taking this on. Adventure lives! 🙂 :arrow: 😄
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

cubytes
Protege
"rubixcube6" wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words! Its good to know there is interest in these kind of retro VR experiences.

Ive made some really good progress today on it, but I need some brainstorming help. What do you recommend is the best way to handle crossing the purple bridge thru walls?

im all about brainstorming 🙂 sorry i missed this earlier....

hmmm not sure exactly what you mean. i haven't really played the old atari games. honestly i didn't really get into to gaming until FF7 came out...

first thing i thought of when i saw this was "where are the tiles?"

perhaps a tile switch could be used? when you dispatch a box shaped enemy they stop animating and fall to the ground and from there you could just push them around like they are a box and the goal would be to push them on a tile switch so you could make it pass to the next area...