cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Res,FOV,Touch. What's the next big problem?

shadowfrogger
Heroic Explorer
After the big three factors are finally at a non complaining state for the majority(if that’s possible). What’s the next big step? Omni treadmills are kinda cool but I can’t really see it catching on or even necessary yet anytime soon. I'm leaning towards advance haptic feedback for it’s controllers like the tactical haptics.

http://tacticalhaptics.com/

The ability to fake weight and collisions would take VR to the next step, Once sword games come out for the touch. They’ll be great but a little stupid if you can swing a sledgehammer like a chopstick. Developers are going to have to find new ways to balance games for the touch, the fidelity/skill of control will break a lot of traditional game mechanics. You could even make gloves that lock up when you pick up a virtual object. That would be pretty fascinating if at all possible.

I’m also leaning towards eye tracking, while it seems like a small thing I think it could have a big impact. The metaverse(altspace or whatever) would seem so much more real and connected.
Rise of the planet of the apes already proves that a good performance does translate well to a virtual avatar. You could even have AI monitor your eyes and react more realistically. Again, this is after resolution isn’t an issue.
Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website! http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
13 REPLIES 13

Fredrum
Expert Protege
Accurate facial expressions.
On the fly environment/room mesh generation.
Player skeleton tracking.
Small form factor.
Wireless.

Mike1
Protege
I think you will see a lot of advancements into the realm of commercialized VR experiences where you drive to a place and pay to be in a room for an hour.

But at the house... I think the next big thing is realistic hands.. maybe and better haptic feedback. Also more efficient use of processing power. Like you said eye tracking and only rendering more detail in the area you are looking.

Next 5-10 years will be:
- 8-16k displays and the processing power to drive them
- Smaller displays that might fit you like a pair of glasses
- Wireless
- encouragement of more peripherals

Personally I dont see any realistic walking in the house

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
As a lover of live theater and haunted houses, I'm so excited for the potential of realtime body and facial animation capture along with room scale tracking. You could have actors playing characters in an empty room on one side of the world leading people on the other side of the world through a live cinematic experience. I imagine it would also be great for VR arcade experiences like The Void.

shadowfrogger
Heroic Explorer
Yeah, arcade VR will be a thing. Arcades might actually be popular again haha.

On the fly mesh generation does open up a lot of possibilities, perfect hand tracking for one but also you could release a game and 3d printer models just for that game. The triggers could be activated by monitoring the moving parts. e.g A gun trigger will raise a box on top of the 3d model which in turn activates the button. 2 outside depth cameras with 1 on the headset should give you enough information.

"Twitchmonkey" wrote:
As a lover of live theater and haunted houses, I'm so excited for the potential of realtime body and facial animation capture along with room scale tracking. You could have actors playing characters in an empty room on one side of the world leading people on the other side of the world through a live cinematic experience. I imagine it would also be great for VR arcade experiences like The Void.

Murder mysteries would be bloody awesome too, geez is there anything VR can't do! (Besides bringing a community together*)
Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website! http://www.gaming-disorder.com/

USMCGrunt0307
Explorer
I like the idea of a suit with hydraulics on every joint allowing you to "touch" the VR world. You put your virtual hands up to a virtual wall and the hydraulic system locks, stopping your physical arm from stretching further and subtle pulling on the fingers as your hand flattens against the virtual wall. Obviously there are safety concerns with excessive range of motion snapping body parts off or the system locking up and you're unable to freely move, lol. Sense of touch could be integrated with gloves that can compress slightly so you feel like touching a wall. Racing games would allow you to drive with the ingame steering wheel and flight simulators allow you to manipulate the actual controls.

HiThere_
Superstar
I'd say the next critical problem in line is a small one : Getting rid of Thumbstick controlled body rotation.

The solutions include using a wireless headset (or more realistically some smart cable management) so you can use the rotation of an ordinary swivel chair to rotate your body, or standing up and using your own body rotation (which requires a VR room instead of an ordinary swivel chair, and again runs into cable management issues), or the many other ones that are already being made available, including treadmills and advanced swivel chairs, but with no solution standing out as the single perfect one, and a thumbstick standing out as the worst available one.

Not saying there aren't years of untackled problems to solve out there, but when you start using the CV1 with a gamepad in a seated experience, the clumsy and immersion breaking thumbstick control issue might be the first one you notice.

Although fortunately you shouldn't notice it one bit with titles like Eve Valkyrie, in which you are not directly moving your own body in virtual space. Because that's how Oculus VR provided a practical solution to the body rotation problem so far : By avoiding it 🙂

obzen
Expert Protege
wireless, fovated rendering.
DK1 FREAK...

TheAsimovInitia
Honored Guest
* Hands and joints with feedback on fingertips and inside in hand, small vibrations might do it (to sense a grip or a wall).
* Eyes and face expression tracking for more immersive multiplayer (I think this is a big one)
* Portability and big room experiences. Laptop might be enough.
* Innovating games, large multiplayer titles aimed at VR and all the new social interaction it might provide. Think of WoW, at gathering point. People at best spin around or throw things at the ground, maybe do a dance once in a while. What if you can sit down and discuss the last fight, or make plans on a billboard in a bar. What if you actually have to crawl next to a boss, or speak really low or he can hear you. Interaction could take new proportions but it needs the titles and the content.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
I think the next big thing is software. The so-called killer app. I await its arrival, whatever it is.