cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon going big with VR: Jack Ryan training facility

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Ever since Amazon announced their Sumerian platform for building VR/AR experiences, I've been checking in weekly to see what their next move is going to entail. I really love that a giant like Amazon is backing the VR Industry and platform.

I'm also a fan of the actor, John Krasinski. Ever since his epic performance as "Jim" in the office I've followed his career. Now he has an Amazon exclusive series, Jack Ryan, which I will naturally subscribe to watch.

And now it all comes together with this:

I've never been too big a fan of the "physical" implementation of VR (e.g. Room-Scale), however, this is some seriously awesome next-level stuff. You're not just walking around; you're performing some true physical feats.

Here is UFC's Rhonda Rousie on a damn actual Zip Line:

VR Zip Lining FTW:

And in case you're wondering, yes, this setup has been depicted with an Oculus Rift. Although I can imagine that any PCVR headset will suffice. Nonetheless, I must sign up for this!

Someone just two-story zip lined with an Oculus Rift on their face. Challenge Accepted!

Full article:

20 REPLIES 20

cybereality
Grand Champion
That looks amazing.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
You won...ok

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

LZoltowski
Champion

OmegaM4N said:

That has to be the dumbest thing i have ever seen, why have a VR headset on and actually go down a zip line, going down any zip line will be miles better to actually enjoy with your own senses rather than with a headset on. lol

I think because you get the g-forces of the zip line, but set in the environment that is applicable to the content being promoted, in this instance Jack Ryan
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:

That has to be the dumbest thing i have ever seen, why have a VR headset on and actually go down a zip line, going down any zip line will be miles better to actually enjoy with your own senses rather than with a headset on. lol

And running outside is going to be miles better than playing a video game where you use a peripheral to make an avatar run. Are you against gaming overall?
😛

If you read the article, the zip line aspect is just one part of an overall experience.

Digikid1
Consultant
Looks fun. 

jason_goatcher
Honored Guest
High places are scary enough in VR.  If I was ACTUALLY high up, I wouldn't want to get into VR.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

OmegaM4N said:

And running outside is going to be miles better than playing a video game where you use a peripheral to make an avatar run. Are you against gaming overall?
😛

If you read the article, the zip line aspect is just one part of an overall experience.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:
This is a actual physical event your taking part in, i think they just shoe horned VR into it because, well because it's there, i mean no matter how high your taking a zip lin from, you will want to enjoy that first hand with your own eyes and senses. lol

You didn't answer my question, are you against all gaming? Because all physical activities are best experienced first-hand with your own senses. So I will presume that you avoid any games that simulate and/or shoe-horn physical activities. If not, then you're arguing just for arguments sake here.

You seem overly focused on the Zip Line part. Do you think that a zip line is all that is happening with this attraction? I will again recommend that you read the entire article. Or at least look at the map provided.

Have you ever zip lined in real life? Have you zip lined in VR? I zip lined in The Climb, and it was amazing. I actually believe that the experience would in fact be much better if I could zip line in The Climb while simultaneously doing so in real-life. And unless you tried this event yourself, I can't see how you can assess that they just "shoe-horned" VR in to it.

Besides, there are things VR can help our minds achieve that we can't do in real life. What if you are zip lining (in VR) between two satellites in space? Our between to towering skyscrapers who peak above the clouds? Simulating that with real zip lining in a studio setup may very well be quite fascinating; and it is an experience that currently cannot be duplicated.

Also, you speak as if somehow the moment you zip line in VR, you magically sign all rights away to zip line for real lol. You do realize that you can do both, right? In the same day, even.

Your replies here remind me of some of the stuff I've seen in response to the Oculus GO advertisements. GO's tagline is, "Open Your Eyes." And the official video shows outdoors events like jumping out of airplanes. Every so often someone replies with something like, "Just go outside instead."

I don't get why people think that if you do something one way, that you can't do it another way too.

Besides, I really doubt that Amazon just "shoe horns" something in half-heartedly. They are known for the exact opposite, hence their global dominance. Although in related news, you can buy a shoe-horn from Amazon, fyi:

Amazon created a very specific experience to synchronize VR with the physical setup. That's not what "shoe horning" entails.

przecinek
Rising Star
I liked the idea but without positional tracking this experience might be missing something. Yes you're going down a straight zip line but every zip descend is minimally different. Unless it is automatic (you just hold on and wait for zip line to be realesed).