cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An exercise in frustration.....

AnotherAtreyu
Level 4
Just got my DK2 today and was ecstatic to get everything set up (even taking a break off work to enjoy the fun), but my excitement quickly faded to frustration.

I could get the headset detected and running without issue (yay!) but getting the tracking camera to work really
drives home the fact that we are receiving the chance to try this early vr tech, in return for our services as crowd-sourced R&D testers. I had hoped I would be one of the lucky ones who managed to get things working without too much hassle, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards at the moment. So I sincerely appreciate all the help that I can get.

So here are the details:
Windows 8.1 user
FX-8350 CPU
EVGA GTX 780 GPU
Thermaltake 800w psu

I've tried everything I have read on these forums and others in order to get this thing to work.
The camera driver detects and installs fine, showing up in DevMngr as "Oculus Positional Tracker", but it will not show up in the OculusConfigTool no matter what I try. I only get the same quick blue on and off "blip" of the light when I connect the USB, but other than that nada.
I tried plugging the sync cable and the usb, both separately and together, into the DK2 itself; both with and without the power cable plugged in. I've tried every USB port my PC has; 8 2.0 ports in the back, 4 in the front, 2 3.0 ports in the front; Nope, no dice.
I've tried plugging the camera usb into a separate powered hub to no avail; and I've tried switching out the usb cable for some other ones I have lying around the house to no gain either.
I tried deleting all of the old hidden devices on my pc and I've tried deleting and re-installing all usb hub and usb devices as well (also tried deleting and removing all peripheral devices).
I tried following these directions even though I'm not on a laptop (which didn't work because I am running 64bit), and I've tried numerous other fixes and ideas.

I'm nearly at my wits end. This really needs to be much easier for people; and given the number of people with similar issues I am seeing, it's a prevalent concern.

The screen looks great (I'm surprised anybody is complaining about screen door at this point honestly) and regular head tracking works as expected; but this camera thing is really hard to get past.
At this point I'd give my left nut to catch a break and get everything running the way it should.

Anyhow, there's the deal. I'm sorry if I rambled on a bit there, but I am also dealing with a family of croup infected individuals, and sleep hasn't been easy lol.

Halp!
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan
25 REPLIES 25

RedRizla
Level 15
Update: Seems to be working now so this might help someone else if you follow these steps.

The first thing I did was change my mouse from an old Perixx MX -2000, to an upto date Perixx mouse. However, I cannot be certain that it was changing the mouse that fixed this problem for me, because I've done a few other steps aswell. With no mouse connected to my computer at all, I switch my computer on and let it boot to desktop. I then unplugged my USB Positional tracker at the computer and plugged it into another USB port. I then let windows install the drivers for the camera and once this was successful, I plugged in my new mouse. I let windows automatically install the drivers for my mouse and bingo, it worked.

Can someone maybe explain why doing what I did above got this to work? I do know it want just changing the Usb port because I had tried this previously and it didn't work. So, could it have been the mouse that caused this conflict? I'll test it over trhe next week and report back if I have a problem.

Simpanra
Level 2
"lovethis" wrote:
Update: Seems to be working now so this might help someone else if you follow these steps.

The first thing I did was change my mouse from an old Perixx MX -2000, to an upto date Perixx mouse. However, I cannot be certain that it was changing the mouse that fixed this problem for me, because I've done a few other steps aswell. With no mouse connected to my computer at all, I switch my computer on and let it boot to desktop. I then unplugged my USB Positional tracker at the computer and plugged it into another USB port. I then let windows install the drivers for the camera and once this was successful, I plugged in my new mouse. I let windows automatically install the drivers for my mouse and bingo, it worked.

Can someone maybe explain why doing what I did above got this to work? I do know it want just changing the Usb port because I had tried this previously and it didn't work. So, could it have been the mouse that caused this conflict? I'll test it over trhe next week and report back if I have a problem.


I see, that's good to hear, and I might have an explanation for you;

The drivers at the moment are very young an immature, if you don't do everything by the book on installation then you will face weird issues, meaning if you didn't unplug everything apart from a standard mouse and keyboard when installing the drivers, then they can forever act odd with what you did have plugged in at the time, however if you allow the drivers to install in a safer environment, then introduce new elements and of course ensure you don't use the drivers until a proper restart, then you should be good to go 😄

RedRizla
Level 15
I see what you are saying, but in this case it looks like it was the Mouse-drivers. I was lucky I had a newer mouse at hand to try, but other people are going to be left scratching their heads if it turns out to be their mouse. I really didn't expect what I tried to work, but I thought I may aswell give it a go while I had another Mouse at hand.

Simpanra
Level 2
"lovethis" wrote:
I see what you are saying, but in this case it looks like it was the Mouse-drivers. I was lucky I had a newer mouse at hand to try, but other people are going to be left scratching their heads if it turns out to be their mouse. I really didn't expect what I tried to work, but I thought I may aswell give it a go while I had another Mouse at hand.


That is interesting, but surely if it was a problem with one driver, rather than a problem with that drivers presence upon install, then surely my rift wouldn't work xD

I have these plugged in when I use the rift;
2 different webcams,
Cyborg Madcatz keyboard
Razer Naga
Razer Nostromo
Rocket USB Hub and mouse cable manager
Phone and phone charger
Another USB hub
Thrustmaster hotas
External 1TB harddrive

Of all of these, surely one/a combination of them would have an issue with the Rift drivers if that was the case, however, because I unplugged everything apart from mouse and keyboard upon installation the rift is fine with all my USB devices. Without some form of further proof I still believe that it is based on the installation method and devices present during, rather than a random mouse not being compatible.

I am ready to be proven wrong of course, I am not closed minded 😄

AnotherAtreyu
Level 4
Well, I made the mistake of plugging in the Rift and doing everything else before installing the runtime the first go-around. I think that might have caused my initial problem but I can't be sure.
Since then I have wiped every trace of Oculus on both my pc and in the registry, but I cannot get the camera to work.
I've installed about 40 programs/drivers from my pc in an attempt to get things going, but no work.

Currently my uninstall/install method is thus (with nothing plugged into the pc other than my keyboard/sensei mouse): uninstall oculus positional tracker driver in device manager w/ delete files option, uninstall rift monitor display in device driver the same way; uninstall oculus runtime utility w/ using a powerful scan for leftover bits.
Manually delete driver found in system32/drivers/
Manually delete anything found in appdata.
Manually remove anything left with "Oculus" in the registry (other than those entries that reference the runtime installer)
Do a CCleaner registry scan and fix any issues found
Restart PC (everything still unplugged but keyboard/mouse), install oculusruntime, restart pc (as per program request);
once booted up and back in windows, plug in headset (which works and detects fine each time), then plug in camera usb (which installs oculuspositionaltracking driver without issue, viewable in devmngr; no exclamation point or anything else; says it's working fine), and finally plug in sync cable, which does nothing.

Then, I try loading up a demo and checking to see if tracking is working even though it isn't found by the configutility, and it is not. Then I will try unplugging/replugging (nope), in different usb (nope), and finish it all off by deleting more unnecessary programs/drivers and trying the process again...

I really don't want to do a refresh on windows as I have all of my work programs on this pc and getting everything running again will be a very large and uncomfortable process.
😕
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

saviornt
Level 3
Other than upgrading the USB controller drivers / firmware, have you tried disabling the SPDIF devices? This is a very old bug in Windows (XP, Vista, 7).. not sure if there is still an issue with the SPDIF causing conflicts in Windows 8, but I would haphazard a guess and say yes.

I had thought it was fixed since I hadn't had issues with it in forever... until I got my DK1 and had to disable it.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

AnotherAtreyu
Level 4
Yeah, I got rid of the spdif stuff a long time ago.
I'm doing some major spring cleaning on my system now, going through and getting rid of everything I don't need (some 300 programs or more lol).
I'm freeing up quite a bit of ram, so hopefully that will help.
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

Cactusblah
Level 2
My logitech webcam was causing interference for myself. I had to try a different usb slot as well.

RirtualVeality
Level 5
"HappyHimitsu" wrote:
Well, I made the mistake of plugging in the Rift and doing everything else before installing the runtime the first go-around. I think that might have caused my initial problem but I can't be sure.
Since then I have wiped every trace of Oculus on both my pc and in the registry, but I cannot get the camera to work.
I've installed about 40 programs/drivers from my pc in an attempt to get things going, but no work.

Currently my uninstall/install method is thus (with nothing plugged into the pc other than my keyboard/sensei mouse): uninstall oculus positional tracker driver in device manager w/ delete files option, uninstall rift monitor display in device driver the same way; uninstall oculus runtime utility w/ using a powerful scan for leftover bits.
Manually delete driver found in system32/drivers/
Manually delete anything found in appdata.
Manually remove anything left with "Oculus" in the registry (other than those entries that reference the runtime installer)
Do a CCleaner registry scan and fix any issues found
Restart PC (everything still unplugged but keyboard/mouse), install oculusruntime, restart pc (as per program request);
once booted up and back in windows, plug in headset (which works and detects fine each time), then plug in camera usb (which installs oculuspositionaltracking driver without issue, viewable in devmngr; no exclamation point or anything else; says it's working fine), and finally plug in sync cable, which does nothing.

Then, I try loading up a demo and checking to see if tracking is working even though it isn't found by the configutility, and it is not. Then I will try unplugging/replugging (nope), in different usb (nope), and finish it all off by deleting more unnecessary programs/drivers and trying the process again...

I really don't want to do a refresh on windows as I have all of my work programs on this pc and getting everything running again will be a very large and uncomfortable process.
😕

Jesus H Christ....Thank GOD I didn't have these issues when I was hooking up the DK2. I would've whipped the thing at the fucking wall......I'm not kidding......I've done it with other shit.

AnotherAtreyu
Level 4
"cactusblah" wrote:
My logitech webcam was causing interference for myself. I had to try a different usb slot as well.

Yeah, I deleted everything logitech on my system. I had a few old things kicking around from my last keyboard/mouse that I didn't remove back then.
The funny thing is, our smaller pc (the one the camera does work on) has logitech everything and works just fine.

"RirtualVeality" wrote:

Jesus H Christ....Thank GOD I didn't have these issues when I was hooking up the DK2. I would've whipped the thing at the fucking wall......I'm not kidding......I've done it with other shit.

I used to bite my nes controllers as a kid when I couldn't get past a certain part of a game lol,
thankfully I have developed a lot of patience since then. It is wearing thin though, but I'm sure I'll get it working eventually and my pc will probably be better off for it.
That being said, I don't think anybody should have to go through what some people (myself included) are having to go through to get this thing working.
Dk1 was setup and running in 20 minutes, the Dk2 experience should be better imo; and I am far from what I would consider an amateur in the pc world.

If I was just some average joe I think the experience would seriously put a hamper on any plans to buy further models.
Thankfully, I have a good grasp of why things are the way they are; and I expected a little bit of hassle; albeit nothing like this lol.
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan