cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An exercise in frustration.....

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Just got my DK2 today and was ecstatic to get everything set up (even taking a break off work to enjoy the fun), but my excitement quickly faded to frustration.

I could get the headset detected and running without issue (yay!) but getting the tracking camera to work really
drives home the fact that we are receiving the chance to try this early vr tech, in return for our services as crowd-sourced R&D testers. I had hoped I would be one of the lucky ones who managed to get things working without too much hassle, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards at the moment. So I sincerely appreciate all the help that I can get.

So here are the details:
Windows 8.1 user
FX-8350 CPU
EVGA GTX 780 GPU
Thermaltake 800w psu

I've tried everything I have read on these forums and others in order to get this thing to work.
The camera driver detects and installs fine, showing up in DevMngr as "Oculus Positional Tracker", but it will not show up in the OculusConfigTool no matter what I try. I only get the same quick blue on and off "blip" of the light when I connect the USB, but other than that nada.
I tried plugging the sync cable and the usb, both separately and together, into the DK2 itself; both with and without the power cable plugged in. I've tried every USB port my PC has; 8 2.0 ports in the back, 4 in the front, 2 3.0 ports in the front; Nope, no dice.
I've tried plugging the camera usb into a separate powered hub to no avail; and I've tried switching out the usb cable for some other ones I have lying around the house to no gain either.
I tried deleting all of the old hidden devices on my pc and I've tried deleting and re-installing all usb hub and usb devices as well (also tried deleting and removing all peripheral devices).
I tried following these directions even though I'm not on a laptop (which didn't work because I am running 64bit), and I've tried numerous other fixes and ideas.

I'm nearly at my wits end. This really needs to be much easier for people; and given the number of people with similar issues I am seeing, it's a prevalent concern.

The screen looks great (I'm surprised anybody is complaining about screen door at this point honestly) and regular head tracking works as expected; but this camera thing is really hard to get past.
At this point I'd give my left nut to catch a break and get everything running the way it should.

Anyhow, there's the deal. I'm sorry if I rambled on a bit there, but I am also dealing with a family of croup infected individuals, and sleep hasn't been easy lol.

Halp!
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan
25 REPLIES 25

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Ok, add disabling all startup programs and upgrading video drivers to the list.
This is ridiculous lol
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

aero
Honored Guest
Have you seen this reddit post? http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2cn3ve/how_i_fixed_my_2_hardware_related_dk2_issues_a/

Specifically the part with the foam and the sync cable, it could be related.

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"aero" wrote:
Have you seen this reddit post? http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2cn3ve/how_i_fixed_my_2_hardware_related_dk2_issues_a/

Specifically the part with the foam and the sync cable, it could be related.

Thanks for trying to help, unfortunately the camera works just fine on another pc so I can confirm it is not a hardware error.

I just tried manually deleting all driver store entries, as well as doing another registry clean. Uninstalling all razer software. Disabling all of my mouse software. Wiping and reinstalling all usb drivers.

I am just going to have to bite the bullet and do a refresh I think; I was really hoping to avoid that. A person should not have to wipe their computer in order to get their DK2 working.
I sure hope it keeps the files I need...

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Ok, a refresh got things working.
I had to take a convoluted approach because I am on windows 8.1 digital download, so I had to get the old windows 8.1 installer and use the trick found on this page to get the refresh to work.
Hopefully that helps somebody else.

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
For you guys with 'well-loaded' PCs have you considered a separate PC purchase?
You know you are going to buy a gtx780 or a gtx880. The rest of the PC are just minor costs.

Simpanra
Honored Guest
"Cgpnz" wrote:
For you guys with 'well-loaded' PCs have you considered a separate PC purchase?
You know you are going to buy a gtx780 or a gtx880. The rest of the PC are just minor costs.

PCs aren't that cheap, I made my computer and payed about £318 for the graphics card, but it still cost me £800+ for the whole computer... 😄