cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Judderer - I must have tried everything

Gimmel
Honored Guest
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone could help.

The TLDR version of the story is - the desk demo and the version of Tuscany (worlddemo) that comes with the sdk 0.4.4 work flawlessly with 75fps rock solid no matter how much I move. Absolutely everything else, including the unity 0.4.4 Tuscany demo provided by Oculus, has terrible judder.

Here is my spec: AMD Phenom II x4 955, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung EVO 840 SSD, AMD Radeon R9 280x, running Windows 7, DK2, Catalyst Version 14.12 / 14.501 , DK2 firmware 2.11, SDK and runtime 0.4.4, 650w Antec TruPowerPSU.

Here are the games I am trying: Desk Demo, Tuscany (from the 0.4.4 SDK), Tuscany from the Oculus downloads Unity 0.4.4 version, Birdy King Land, Ocean Rift, UE4 Rollercoaster, Euro Truck Simulator 2, Alien Isolation, Welcome to Ocuolus, Sightline the Chair, Buildville, DreadHalls, Experience Japan, Fun House Ride, Le Muse Imaginaire, NewRetroArcade, Eiffel Tower, VR Cinema.

Here are the fixes I have tried:
Using Direct Mode
Using Extended Mode
Using Extended with with the Direct to Rift files
Setting Rift to Primary display
Booting up the PC with only the Rift plugged in as a display
Bilago's VR Game launcher
Aero enabled/ disabled
Forcing V-Sync on and off with catalyst, and radeonpro
Forcing Triple buffering with catalyst, and radeonpro
SDK 0.4.2 and 0.4.4
Catalyst driver rollbacks
Disabling and stopping OVR Service
And every combination of these.

Most of the time the framerate shows under 75, but even when it is over 75, its is still juddering.
Is it my actual computer not being fast enough.
The fact the SDK version of Tuscany runs perfectly and the Unity download one doesnt i find strange.

Can anybody help?
I've spent over 35 hours trying all this
19 REPLIES 19

Joltz
Honored Guest
May be a long shot but these were two unsuspecting programs that messed with my rift and worth a try.

If you are by chance running F.lux, try putting it in safe mode or closing it altogether.
Same goes for Logitech gaming software. If you are using their little utility, close it.

Funkman
Explorer
Oh no! But my Keybaord and mouse is a wireless Logitech one!

Maybe this is why I am getting judder also...Some things are fine, but I just tried Dont Let Go, was 100FPS the whole time...but juddery as anything.

Gimmel
Honored Guest
Hi Joltz, thanks for the reply.
Wasn't using F.lux but was using the logitech game profiler. I closed it and made sure there were no other logitech programs running in task manager. But no change unfortunately. Thanks for coming up with something I haven't tried before.

I've been experimenting with Desk World.
(for anybody unfamiliar - deskworld allows you to add things to the scenery 1 by 1 by pressing the number keys)
It starts for me at 75 fps stable, but after adding everything in it can drop to as low as 60. OCCT is saying my CPU load is 28% at max and I know my graphics card should walk all over this stuff.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Have you tried setting your monitor to 75Hz? You should only have the Rift and one single monitor plugged in, and that monitor should also be at 75Hz. You probably have to drop to a lower resolution on the monitor (like 1280x1024).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Gimmel
Honored Guest
Thanks for the reply cybereality,

I use my tv as my monitor which only goes to 60hz. I did try it with a monitor that, as you suggested, would only do 75hz on 1280 x 1024, and got the same results. I even booted up my computer with just the rift plugged in, with no monitors to avoid any kind of resolution or hz mismatch, but it was the same result.

Does anyone think my machine is just not up to the job? Or is it a software issue making it underperform?

e1zorro
Explorer
Have you tried looking whether your CPU cores are staying parked whilst using the rift?

I see you have Bilago's launcher - did you try the disable parking option?

I've not ever had a Phenom machine, but I do recall issues with Windows 7 and an issue related to tlb which would cause frame rate issues, regardless of the gpu.

Try googling for TLB patch bug. - there's a utility for checking and fixing the issue.

I'm afraid this is all just a long shot, since you've been pretty thorough by the look of things.

The only other things I can't see listed are:
- Using supplied power adapter, instead of relying on usb power and try using different usb ports if you have them ( especially if you have a mix of USB2 or USB3
- Swap out as many cables as you can, and try plugging directly into the headset, bypassing the sync box ( incase it's faulty )

Best of luck.

Funkman
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
Have you tried setting your monitor to 75Hz? You should only have the Rift and one single monitor plugged in, and that monitor should also be at 75Hz. You probably have to drop to a lower resolution on the monitor (like 1280x1024).

Oh really?

So Extended Desktop makes the Rift use the same refresh as the monitor?

I did not know this.

This may explain some judder and tearing when watching movies using Virtual Desktop.

EDIT: I cant see any way to get the Rift to run at 75hz in VIrtual Desktop.

Whenever I try to change my monitor to 75hz, it goes squishy and out of proportion, tried many different resolutions, same result. guess I will just have to put up with tearing in my movies.

Gimmel
Honored Guest
Thanks e1zorro,

TLDR is down the bottom,

I tried different USB slots for everything. I've only got a USB2 motherboard too.
I tried direct cabling the headset and that didn't seem to work.
I used the power supply as well and that didn't make any difference.
I tried the parking settings on Bilago's launcher and it didn't seem to make a difference. On my system monitor I have never seen any of my cpu's parked though.
I checked the TLB bug you suggested and tried it out. I don't think it made any difference to my x955, but whether or not I have it enabled or disabled I now BSOD when trying to run a directtorift file.

I decided to go back to basics and installed another copy of windows to my HDD. After installing literally just vanilla Windows 7 x64 Home (pre Service Pack 1) and the latest catalyst drivers (which I was using anyway), I actually managed to get few games working, namely: Tuscany Unity Demo, UE4 Rollercoaster, and NewRetroArcade which were all juddery and terrible before. They actually worked how they're supposed to!!! 😄 Most things didn't work however due to missing DLLs, distributables, etc. as expected on a blank version of windows.

This is where things get slightly strange.
As soon as I tried to update the windows update tool (and by that I mean that when I press on windows update it asks me to actually update the windows update software, not install an update) it then resets as requested, and when windows comes back and I try to run a directtorift file it goes back to how it was in terms of judder and fps issues. Did a system restore to before I'd pressed that update and it then works 'perfectly' again. Some, like Dreadhalls, judder even when Tuscany, NewRetroArcade, etc. are working perfectly so it is not completely solved.
I don't know how far I can really get without ever installing any windows updates, but at least I can use my rift for more than 2 demos now 😛 Extended desktop is still not functioning, and just blackscreening with the health warning on it.

Seeing it work properly highlighted something which would be considered normal rift fps but nothing like what i had before.
Previous Windows version - FPS fluctuating violently between 50 - 100 but mostly staying under 70 fps on movement.
Vanilla Windows (and what I assume is normal working order) - FPS staying around 75fps +/- 3fps regardless of movement

TLDR: I abandoned my original copy of windows, reinstalled vanilla windows 7 Home x64 (w/o SP1), and the Rift worked at perfect FPS stability on some direct_to_rift programs, but the OS missing too many files to try most others. Installing the update to make Windows Update function destroys the framerate back to 50-70fps if I install it. I know how weird that sounds.. Any ideas anyone?

Everyone replying has been so helpful and so quick to answer so far. I'm really impressed and grateful.

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
Are we correct that extended mode locks it to the monitors frame rate? Im using my samsung 3d LED HDTV thats 240 hz but on PC it will only use 60 hrz, Im usually just fine in extended mode