cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti FB - Oculus had already part sold to VP.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just want to throw out there that none of you anti-FB lot said a single thing when 2 viper like venture cap. companies got their claws into Oculus. Where was you vitriol then?

And oh look they've just multiplied their investment 20 fold.

The point is oculus needs money to deliver a good product, they can
Take that from a money hungry short turnaround VC or a multi billion dollar company that may just left them get on with it

They've already said in the med term nothing Changes. Still called oculus. Still multi platform.

Facebook want to become the oasis ( ready player one ) and they gave the power to do it. Oculus alone could get swallowed by ms or google or apple or whoever decides to throw their billions into VR.

This is a good thing for oculus and Devs.
5 REPLIES 5

Evenios
Honored Guest
I think i too was too early to jump the gun. I just really hate facebook but its just the platform. Not really the company honestly the company has done nothing to me to warrent any real hate. I just dislike facebook in general but if its true that they will let Oculus run things on their own then maybe its not a bad thing and maybe since Facebook has no experence in VR or hardware sales they will be less likely to dictate to Oculus what they want and how they want it.

So lets just see where the next few months take us.

what i would like to see would be more annoucements like at E3 of more bigger games supporting the RIft ...that is the key for main stream success because now its not just for indies now in order for Oculus to return their huge investment they are going to have to make good on bringing VR to the masses. and right now the software options for the Rift is pretty limited to mostly indy demos and a few 3rd party mods to get games to play in the Rift with a few actual game support but we will see.

heres hoping for the best........

jojon
Honored Guest
"prowl" wrote:
Just want to throw out there that none of you anti-FB lot said a single thing when 2 viper like venture cap. companies got their claws into Oculus. Where was you vitriol then?

I saw plenty of concerns aired, right here.

Herolord
Protege
Does it mean now that when you use the rift, you are agreeing to having facebook share your data? Will we have to use our real names to game online in the oh so great attempt to enforce PC dogma and curb free speech? Will the rift be very cheap, if not free, but will include ads that appear mid game? Exciting times!

Calanar
Honored Guest
"Herolord" wrote:
Does it mean now that when you use the rift, you are agreeing to having facebook share your data? Will we have to use our real names to game online in the oh so great attempt to enforce PC dogma and curb free speech? Will the rift be very cheap, if not free, but will include ads that appear mid game? Exciting times!

In a word, "NO"

Someday, maybe, but not now and not soon. And if it happens most of us will just move on to whatever company has the best offer then.
Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer. Imagine Role Playing: http://www.role-playing.com

jltate
Honored Guest
"prowl" wrote:

You're right, because frankly at the time I read about it I hadn't even thought about the implications of that. I thought it was "just what startups do." I realize now that in fact it's possible (or even probable) that regardless of what Palmer thought about this deal, it would have gone through as a direct result of the fact that it had already ceased being his company.

I loath Facebook and even though I swore up and down to myself last night that I would stand on principle over this, ultimately after sleeping on it... right now I'm far more interested in working on my project without getting motion sickness than holding a grudge.