cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions on a PC?

mta
Honored Guest
My PC is a nearly 6 years old Pentium Q6600 quad 4GB memory GT9800 it can still run the latest DX10 games at a playable framerate, last game I played was thief on low-to-medium settings. It won't play DX11.

I've ordered the DK2 kit, and I'm guessing the rift won't be happy with my 2008 set up

So say I've got a $1000 to play with, what should I be looking at? Just the motherboard, memory, processor, graphics, HDD (I assume there's nothing else) the case is good. Any suggestions would be great.
34 REPLIES 34

Flyinpiranha
Honored Guest
i5-3570k or greater (+mobo to match)
GTX 780 or greater
8GB DDR3 1600 or greater
240 GB SSD or greater

Assuming power supply, extra HDD, and all the other stuff is good.

This is a really good start. You can get a better processor, the videocard is where you want to spend a bulk of your money and having an SSD for OS and a few games is key. Not all need to be installed there.

You could go 770 and shave a few dollars. Or wait to see if the 800's come out later this year, but that's a solid machine with a somewhat future proof setup for CV1 too. It's a beast.
i5-3570k | R9 290 Windforce OC | 16GB 1600 RAM | SSD | Windows 8.1 64bit

Leonard_Powers
Explorer
Like Reddit, I think we should have a subsection for this which will eventually have approved/tested list of hardware
DK1 | DK2 | GearVR | CV1 Pre-Ordered "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

Hadwell
Honored Guest
take a look at this video, what hardware this guy runs, and what frame rates he gets with said hardware (with the DK1)

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1szypm/rift_experience_with_new_pc_graphics_settings/

now imagine how well it'll run with the DK2, that is significantly more demanding than the DK1...

this is why VR won't be a big thing for decades, more than a couple of years...

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Hadwell" wrote:
take a look at this video, what hardware this guy runs, and what frame rates he gets with said hardware (with the DK1)

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1szypm/rift_experience_with_new_pc_graphics_settings/

now imagine how well it'll run with the DK2, that is significantly more demanding than the DK1...

this is why VR won't be a big thing for decades, more than a couple of years...

That scene is in UE4 and is meant to showcase high end intensive effects. (it is fairly taxing regardless of stereo being off at higher resolutions)

It sounds like you are looking at things like this:
VR won't be mainstream because we can't play our cutting edge games in max graphics.

When you should see it as:
VR does not require the same fidelity to give an entirely more engaging experience.

Sure to run BF5 or Crysis 4 at the highest settings might be impossible for a year or 2 (remember we have Pascal coming in 2015/2016 which is said to increase GPU power significantly)

But what's wrong with playing with settings down slightly? (that's if those games even natively support VR)

Also this may just be me but I am thinking people may or may not design games specifically for VR and therefore understand limitations of Hardware... kinda like what they have to do for Morpheus on PS4.

zdaniel
Honored Guest
Agreed. I was about to mention Pascal. Nvidia is promising a huge leap by then, and not only the concept and the first release, but also each GPU update should be able to scale way better than today gpus.
But also VR may well push Nvidia and AMD to set higher goals than usual.
PCIe may evolve as well along with Pascal new tech.
So I'm in the optimistic side.

zuccs
Honored Guest
"Flyinpiranha" wrote:
i5-3570k or greater (+mobo to match)
GTX 780 or greater
8GB DDR3 1600 or greater
240 GB SSD or greater

Assuming power supply, extra HDD, and all the other stuff is good.

This is a really good start. You can get a better processor, the videocard is where you want to spend a bulk of your money and having an SSD for OS and a few games is key. Not all need to be installed there.

You could go 770 and shave a few dollars. Or wait to see if the 800's come out later this year, but that's a solid machine with a somewhat future proof setup for CV1 too. It's a beast.

GTX 780 or greater? What is this 'greater' of which you speak? Also, no one is getting that rig for $1000. Also, can someone confirm/deny that Oculus is so graphically taxing? What could a person expect with a GTX 760 (with an i5 4670k to match)?

Gygax
Explorer
oh.. :roll:

i just upgraded to a M5A99FX PRO R2.0
8350 8core 4ghz athlonFX
GTX 750 ti 2gig
16 gig 1330 ddr3

so am i right in thinking that it might only JUST handle dk2? i understand that the graphic detail levels can be scaled down, and im cool with that. does the resolution have to be set native for the rift?

am i going to be swearing in august? there is bugger all definitive data on requirements so far anywhere
I preordered a DK2 in April, from Australia.. ..and Im still completely sane!! ;P

goettel
Explorer
Get a 4K-series Core i5 CPU, not an i7 (mostly a waste for games), don't skimp on RAM (16GB is good, get a 64-bit Windows), get a 256GB or so SSD system drive coupled to a nice, big old-school drive for your games and of course a juicy graphics card like a GTX 770. Don't skimp on your power supply either.

Rob1985
Honored Guest
Euro truck 2 is one game I cannot wait to play with dev kit 2 but my computer can barely run the game above low graphics settings without some lag.

Someone who knows what they're looking at, can you check out my PC specs and tell me what I need to update to use the dk2 without issues?

3.90 gigahertz AMD A8-6600K APU with integrated Radeon HD Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 8570D
1TB Hard Drive
Quad Core
1600MHz RAM
8GB memory