cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else actually LIKE the godrays?

AnotherCrazyCan
Adventurer
Day 2 with the oculus (first real time getting to play it) and I noticed what people say about the godrays. I was expecting really sharp and obvious rays, but I didn't even really notice them. Actually, to be honest, I like em! I've only really seen them in menu's and I find it looks extra cool like it's even more sci-fi! They're nice and soft and when you're waiting for something to load, it looks to me like it gives this sort of "title dramatic flair" (when you see a title in a movie then it adds that cool embossing effect). Plus it's not just a loading screen, but with the right mindset like an interactive loading screen if you move around with it.
Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?
15 REPLIES 15

edmg
Trustee
I like not having Fresnel rings like the Vive, but the god rays are distracting at times. I don't think the tradeoff is a clear win, though it depends a lot on the kind of game I'm playing.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
They give me something to toy with during loading screens; and they're non-existent during actual gameplay and app usage.

Also, is it just my fanboydom eyes, or did God Rays get reduced some 50% with the 1.5 update?

xi11ix
Adventurer
I normally don't notice them much but they do appear more prominent in some games than others.

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
They do not bother me whatsoever,  I notice them but am not distracted by them.

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
Try watching a movie in a virtual cinema.  It's like looking through binoculars with a flashlight shining at the other end.   

Iblysi
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

They give me something to toy with during loading screens; and they're non-existent during actual gameplay and app usage.

Also, is it just my fanboydom eyes, or did God Rays get reduced some 50% with the 1.5 update?

It might not just be you, i also noticed it far less during loading screens after 1.5. But then again i never really noticed them untill i visited the forums and i was told about them.

Bloodlet
Rising Star
Not a major issue, but would be a better experience without them.

Bleppe
Adventurer
Hardly notice them. Only in menus and alittle in the cockpit in E.D but other than that I haven't really seen them at all.

CrashFu
Consultant
I think they make white / bright colored logos on black backgrounds look a bit silly, but once I'm actually in a game and they appear glaring off a virtual light-source?  They actually become a pretty cool effect at that point, and in some cases just make the light sources seem more real.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.