cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else getting impatient for information on Infinite Office? Specifically, the VR keyboard??

SeriousTimby
Explorer

Infinite Office and the VR logitech keyboard was announced in September 2020 and nothing has been heard since?? It seems like the technology is there with how well VR controllers are mapped in VR.

To me, it seems crazy that no VR company is exploring a keyboard for the amazingly productive and immersive spaces that can be had in VR with Immersed, Spatial, Virtual Desktop and Soft Space. Instead, I see Oculus marketing the Quest 2 as an elaborate fitbit?? I feel like they are on the verge of re-inventing how we use and interact with PCs but can't be bothered...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Oculus' head of AR/VR development (forget his name) was interviewed this month by cnet, and he confirmed he's using it, but how other people and yourself are represented in co-operative meetings is what they want to get right. So I don't think this is vapourware by any means, just optimistically presented... and as you say, the Quest launch probably had a lot to do with that.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

barabba9174
Protege

Me! I’ve already bought the keyboard!

It was touted for a beta release this winter iirc but the latest word is 'on course for a 2021 release' and I don't know if that's beta or release candidate, so very vague. I understand wanting to get things right for something potentially game-changing but I get the feeling they're a bit too optimistic with initial date forecasts which can be frustrating. Same with Horizons.

SeriousTimby
Explorer

Yeah, I have a feeling they announced it to whip up the hype around the Quest 2 release and now they are having some issues - either technical ones or with the partnership with Logitech. Such a shame. The Quest 2 + Virtual Desktop/Immersed + VR keyboard would make VR appeal to so many use cases including programming, 3d modelling, writing etc... 

😞 Oculus better come good on this one... Seems unethical to lead us on, have their customers purchase the hardware and then go quiet on it. 

Oculus' head of AR/VR development (forget his name) was interviewed this month by cnet, and he confirmed he's using it, but how other people and yourself are represented in co-operative meetings is what they want to get right. So I don't think this is vapourware by any means, just optimistically presented... and as you say, the Quest launch probably had a lot to do with that.

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebooks-evolving-plans-for-vr-are-aiming-for-your-virtual-office-with-sm...

I believe this is the article in reference for any onlookers. It's a shame that Oculus isn't allowing it for experimental access.

Yeah, they have limited access beta testing for Horizons but I don't recall any invites for testing Infinite Office (yet). Experimental use would have been great but they seem to reserve that for the small scale headset features. Lots of internal testing can go either way... if the testing team is big enough, then great, extended testing time probably means a good product at launch, if the team is small or are using it in a similar way, similar environment, and with similar opinions on features, then an initial public release could throw up a lot of issues.