cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know why Rift S has Lenovo design and not Quest/Rift design?

markhollis
Expert Protege

My
perplexity is the fact that rift s is "newer" in the production than
quest but they use the lenovo/halo system (that on samsung odyssey+ was
causing me a big red mark on the front)

So why this choice?

halo
system is less comfortable, and more heavy. Another thing not so
important is that with halo system it's not possible for example watch a
video or a movie in the bed with the head on the pillow, or watch/play
with the head resting on the chair due to the plastic of the halo system

21 REPLIES 21

Digikid1
Consultant
Agreed. The older strap system is far better. 

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I guess this is one of those "can't please everyone" scenarios. Many people trying the rift s claim it is more comfortable than CV1
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

ShocksVR
Superstar
It's the PSVR design.
Go lookup why Oculus partnered specifically with Lenovo and you'll have your answer.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Digikid1
Consultant

It's the PSVR design.
Go lookup why Oculus partnered specifically with Lenovo and you'll have your answer.

That’s pretty obvious but it doesn’t mean that it’s better. The strap design is best. It allows for more ventilation and is far more secure. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I guess this is one of those "can't please everyone" scenarios. Many people trying the rift s claim it is more comfortable than CV1

This is the reason and I much prefer the halo myself rather then having something grabbing my face like a facehugger from the Alien movies. I had to purchase VR PV cover from VR Cover before I could even stand to wear the current CV1 for more then 15 mins. I tried a friends PS -VR and it's super comfy, I used it for a couple of hours and had no problems with comfort.

The Vive is also going to go with the Halo on their next headset.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Samsung did GearVR (and supplied note3 screens for the DK20 and other stuff), Xiaomi did the Go and Lenovo did the Rift-S. But who helped Oculus with Quest? Was it another Xiaomi?

RedRizla said:
The Vive is also going to go with the Halo on their next headset.
Vive with halo? All I can imagine for that is someone wearing the ring of a giant vive wand. 🙂
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I am skeptical of the Halo design, but I will wait until people on this forum whom I trust try it and report their findings.
I will ask this though,
Did we potentially replace Rift-Face:

With Halo-Head?

??

/jokes

I've finished many Rift sessions with an inverse Mohican

u1r30tgh9vt6.jpg

that's not me by the way but illustrates a problem that's been ignored for far too long

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Nice DnD! Ah yes, I remember the first time I wore the Rift for longer than an hour...

What it did to my head reminded me of a story I once read,