cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are You Playing Multiplayer?

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I am curious about how many of you play multiplayer games. I have several headsets and really enjoy multiplayer experiences. 

However, it feels like VR is still very much behind pancake, despite Oculus being owned by a social media company.

So, are you playing multiplayer?
Do you have multiple headsets to play within your family/home?
Do you have friends that you play remotely with?
What games are you playing?
What is your experience playing with strangers, or finding friends online that you don't know?
Where do you think multiplayer games and experiences will and should go. 

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
No.

sford52
Heroic Explorer
No.
ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I am curious about how many of you play multiplayer games. I have several headsets and really enjoy multiplayer experiences. 

However, it feels like VR is still very much behind pancake, despite Oculus being owned by a social media company.

What is your experience playing with strangers, or finding friends online that you don't know?

I definitely play lots of multiplayer in VR. I've always preferred multiplayer, considering I came from a background of competing in arcades against other local gamers with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. With PC gaming, I was all about WarCraft 2, StarCraft, and MMORPG's like Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online.

Multiplayer is fantastic, and requires so much more gaming skill development than sticking to the ruleset of a pancake game. When it comes to pancake games, I typically prefer Puzzle Games since that's the only time I truly feel challenged in a single player experience. Everything else is just more of an entertaining time sink.

This forum community doesn't seem to have a lot of multiplayer enthusiasts though. It's been that way since I joined in 2016. I often tried to host multiplayer events in VR and watch parties. But few, if any, would show up. The closest I got was with the two Dead & Buried Tournaments that I hosted. And I was able to spend some time with a few members in games like BattleZone and From Other Suns

I've been curious to see if the new influx of Quest users would change that. Maybe when we move to the new forum?

So far in the past few months, I've spent time in Rec Room with family members. And I have a Facebook Friend who was playing Synth Riders while I was playing Myst, and we were both in a VR Party so we could talk to each other while playing our separate games.

My current VR multiplayer experiences range from real life family/friends to total strangers that I added on Facebook. I haven't gamed with anyone in this community in a very long time. 

If you're interested in setting up some multiplayer sessions, then let me know!

The last thing I'll mention is that... the Facebook VR Groups are full of gamers who love multiplayer experiences. I see people asking to join sessions all the time. People post when they are playing, and send open invites to join in. The Facebook VR Groups are a much more accurate representation of the current state of mainstream Oculus VR. This forum is more for troubleshooting and tech support. I don't feel that Oculus is really behind with multiplayer anymore; we just don't see the activity on this particular forum. You gotta join the Facebook VR Groups to see where the party is at lol

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

Zenbane said:

I definitely play lots of multiplayer in VR. I've always preferred multiplayer, considering I came from a background of competing in arcades against other local gamers with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. With PC gaming, I was all about WarCraft 2, StarCraft, and MMORPG's like Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online.

Multiplayer is fantastic, and requires so much more gaming skill development than sticking to the ruleset of a pancake game. When it comes to pancake games, I typically prefer Puzzle Games since that's the only time I truly feel challenged in a single player experience. Everything else is just more of an entertaining time sink.

This forum community doesn't seem to have a lot of multiplayer enthusiasts though. It's been that way since I joined in 2016. I often tried to host multiplayer events in VR and watch parties. But few, if any, would show up. The closest I got was with the two Dead & Buried Tournaments that I hosted. And I was able to spend some time with a few members in games like BattleZone and From Other Suns

I've been curious to see if the new influx of Quest users would change that. Maybe when we move to the new forum?

So far in the past few months, I've spent time in Rec Room with family members. And I have a Facebook Friend who was playing Synth Riders while I was playing Myst, and we were both in a VR Party so we could talk to each other while playing our separate games.

My current VR multiplayer experiences range from real life family/friends to total strangers that I added on Facebook. I haven't gamed with anyone in this community in a very long time. 

If you're interested in setting up some multiplayer sessions, then let me know!

The last thing I'll mention is that... the Facebook VR Groups are full of gamers who love multiplayer experiences. I see people asking to join sessions all the time. People post when they are playing, and send open invites to join in. The Facebook VR Groups are a much more accurate representation of the current state of mainstream Oculus VR. This forum is more for troubleshooting and tech support. I don't feel that Oculus is really behind with multiplayer anymore; we just don't see the activity on this particular forum. You gotta join the Facebook VR Groups to see where the party is at lol

That would be great to have a multiplayer category in the new forum. I am just getting back into Elite Dangerous and I play No Man's Sky and those might be really fun with others.

I have a friend from work that occasionally plays Elven Assassin with me.

I bought extra headsets hoping to play with my adult son, but people with young families have a hard time carving out time. I even had him take one of my CV1s to his house so we could play, but it still isn't very frequent.

I have a weird thing where I love multiplayer, but I have a small bit of social anxiety with strangers. Once I get to know someone it completely goes away.

I will get on the Facebook VR group and force myself to get new friends. Thanks for the suggestion.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Did consider Squadrons, but we all know how that goes  :#

bcp0qo5l21de.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

saami81
Rising Star
I like to play with other people around, but i dont like to talk to them or them to me. Similar to real life.