cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these specs compatible for running DK2?

nightbane30
Honored Guest
So after reading some horror stories about the Rift and laptops, I'm anxious to see if my laptop will be compatible with the device. My Rift has yet to arrive, but is there anyone who can ease my anxiety while I wait?

Will the Rift run on this system? (Note: I know it will not be a powerhouse getting 100fps, but I can run some demos at 60fps w/out the Rift which seems good enough.)

Brand: HP ENVY 15t-j100
CPU: i7-4700MQ Quad core and can hyperthread to 8, 2.4GHz.
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT740M with 2048MB of memory (Not the best for Rift, but the most I could afford).
RAM: 16GB DDR3

Those are the main specs I think matter in running the Rift. I've downloaded several demos and they work fine, but is anyone able to tell me whether or not they think that looks good for using the hardware?

I'm also sorry if questions like these appear a lot of times. I understand how annoying it can be to see hundreds of threads like these across the span of a few months 😕
Thanks in advance!
Ordered: December 26, 2014 Ready: December 29, 2014 Processed:December 29, 2014 SHIPPED:December 31, 2014 ARRIVED: January 6, 2015
6 REPLIES 6

GoldenRetroGames
Heroic Explorer
Sorry, but that system is not sufficient for the majority of Rift software.

Running demos on a single screen at 60fps definitely won't cut it. You want to be able to feed the Rift 2 images (one per eye) at a constant 75fps.

DirtBoxDen
Honored Guest
sorry but have to agree with goldenegg with this one,

the lesser demanding demo's you will be able to run at a lesser fps and get away with it without much problems but the more demanding demo's you will struggle with, thats not saying you cant run them just that the fps will drop leaving you more then just a headache :lol:

still experimenter with what you have,
i only have a i5 runing a R9-270x gpu and still do ok but really looking at GTX970 now

nightbane30
Honored Guest
When I run the Rift demos though (EG Titans of Space), it runs on my monitor as it would appear on the Rift (with the two screens side by side) and the display is 60fps. Does this mean that my display with the Rift would still be 60fps because I'm running it in the way that it will appear on the Rift or that my fps will be 30 for both eyes (almost like a simulation for the real thing)?

Now I'm really anxious 😕

EDIT: It also might be worth noting that I am in no way planning to run demos like Technolust or anything like that. I understand that my hardware is in no position to do so. I was thinking more simple demos with less things actually going on.

EDIT 2: I would upgrade but as my machine is a laptop, I'm not really in a position to do that 😕 As a developer though, I'm not planning to game on it too much so hopefully it's not a huge issue.
Ordered: December 26, 2014 Ready: December 29, 2014 Processed:December 29, 2014 SHIPPED:December 31, 2014 ARRIVED: January 6, 2015

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
"nightbane30" wrote:

Now I'm really anxious 😕

Has OVR published a minimal spec for PC's to run DK2?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Electryic
Protege
if your only going to be developing I'd say you should be ok. Its a 700 series which is good but the 40 means that its not even considered an entry level gaming card (50 is entry level, 60 is enthusiast, 70-80 is considered great).

In my experience I'd say a 740M will display what you need to display at lower settings for development purposes... The fact that its current generation tells me that you should be able to work in the unity and unreal development engines.... But the 40M says you would only be able to run said programs at the lowest settings and then at very low FPS

If you plan to get a DK2 I would definitely also plan to upgrade that system. Check out the passmark score for that video card
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+740M

The beastly cards that people are talking about (i.e. 970 score like 7000+ points whereas the 740M only scored 840.
In the end I'd say you can get it for development and can probably run the less demanding demos and things at the lowest settings... anything that is demanding (alot of them) might not even run. You might grab the rift but start looking around for a desktop.. maybe some kind of 0 interest financing for a year type thing at Amazon. If you want a suggestion for components you can PM me.

nightbane30
Honored Guest
OK, so I've begun putting a list of computer components together for when I do have the money to afford all of them.
Unfortunately, that probably won't be until next year 😛

CPU: i5-4690K
GPU: Undecided between GTX 770 and GTX 970. Which one has better performance with the Rift?
Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Red LED Mid-Tower Gaming Case
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Series Standard 750W

Does that seem good to everyone? I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I can't go massive all-out spending mode.

Thanks for all of your replies by the way! I really appreciate all the help that's been given to me during my time on these forums 😄