cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto ASW = worse performance!?

Syndroid
Level 7
So I was messing a bit with ASW, and so far, I'm not so happy with how the automatic ASW performs.
In my understanding it is supposed to fix positional judder and ghosting on low fps (and also allowing lower spec PCs to run VR).
While it is very good in fulfilling that promise, what it also does is reducing the overall performance (at least on my system).
I'm bad in explaining stuff and my english isn't that good, so I've recorded a video.

In the video you can see how I switched between ASW disabled (ctrl+NUM1) and auto ASW (ctrl+NUM4)
As you can see, without ASW I get steady 90 fps most of the time. 
That "performance headroom" chart is scratching along 0 and keeps dipping a bit below 0. However, everything is butterly smooth throughout this time. I only get noticible position judder and ghosting artefacts on more drastic dips(something like 87fps).

Now having auto ASW enabled, it seems to kick in way too early and I can notice the difference immediately.
it is worse than the native 89-90 mode that's for sure (still is damn impressive of what it is doing though).
In an ideal world, auto ASW kicks in at 88fps or respectively when there is true juddering.

That being said, I hope Oculus doesn't plan to force auto ASW in the next update. 
That would be bad since I optimize most graphic-settings in a way that it is scratching along that 90fps mark and it is working just fine with ATW alone. 

Maybe there is something wrong with my hardware!?
Would be interested to hear about your experiences with auto ASW..
0 REPLIES 0