cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUY - Steam Controller, Steam Link, Steam Boxes!

VizionVR
Rising Star
Steam store has it all up for pre-order for an October release.
Just pre-ordered a Steam Controller. 😄
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
9 REPLIES 9

obzen
Expert Protege
October, hey. No Steam VR?
DK1 FREAK...

VizionVR
Rising Star
Controller, Link, and Steam Machines are available for pre-order and October release. Vive is still slated for November release.

tamonte
Honored Guest
I'm not convinced of the efficency of the Steam controller.

it's supposed to help in First Person Shooter games with the right stick replaced with a touch pad to give you more precision/quickness.

The thing is, I can't play FPS games on a laptop touchpad to save my live...I don't know if this will be much different, maybe it's a bit better, but certainly not on par with mouse+keyboard.

But if it proves to be an improvement over a regular controller it is already positive.

danknugz
Superstar
So that's what supposed to be so special about the steam controller? That it has a touchpad instead of a right analog stick?

Please excuse me while I go vomit
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

tamonte
Honored Guest
pretty much so 😛

VizionVR
Rising Star
"danknugz" wrote:
So that's what supposed to be so special about the steam controller? That it has a touchpad instead of a right analog stick?

Among other things, yes. It emulates kb/m games better than a gamepad. Ideal for PC gaming on the couch and I plan to use it with the Rift until Touch is available.

Not trying to be a shill here, but I know a few other members who were waiting for this to release.

RiftXdev
Explorer
I rely on spring tension on analogue thumbsticks, using a touchpad instead of a stick will feel like typing on a keyboard compared to typing on a tablet screen.

Not as satisfying.
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"

KydDynoMyte
Honored Guest
"tamonte" wrote:
I'm not convinced of the efficency of the Steam controller.

it's supposed to help in First Person Shooter games with the right stick replaced with a touch pad to give you more precision/quickness.

The thing is, I can't play FPS games on a laptop touchpad to save my live...I don't know if this will be much different, maybe it's a bit better, but certainly not on par with mouse+keyboard.

But if it proves to be an improvement over a regular controller it is already positive.

Funny, I buy those little Kontrol Freak stick extenders to lengthen the stick to increase precision. They work for me. Seems like this is similar to shortening the stick as much as possible.

VizionVR
Rising Star
Again, not trying to sell anyone on these items. Use what you wish. Peace.