cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Tethered

The one thing that always got in the way on the Dev Kits was the cabling.

Do any of you have any clever set ups to prevent the cable rubbing against you, hitting you on the neck etc? I know the Rift will primarily be a seated experience but having that seated experience without cables (Gear VR) is just wonderful.

What about the Vive - watching demos at CES, they have someone holding the huge cable and it's still wrapped around the customers - how will that work at home? Anybody planning on buying the Vive - what steps will you be taking?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
13 REPLIES 13

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
"michealv" wrote:
"andyring" wrote:

Just a hook in the ceiling?

That solution isn't going to work for everybody.

:shock:

Yep, some of us don't own our own homes, and putting gigantic holes in the roof is a no no.

well, buy microphone holder (you know, the regolable staff) it cost around 20€
You extend it to the max and make the cable pass over it into the the hook, or some kind of ring, or just with some scotch tape 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP
"nightauditor1981" wrote:
I am wondering about the length of the cable, because sometimes length does matter 😉

I often wanted to get out of my virtual car in pCars for example and look at it in full glory from the outside. The rather short cable mostly prevented that.

If we could get a 5 meter cable, I think this would be great.

Palmer said the included cable was 4m in the AMA on Reddit the other night, but I'm not sure that's right, because somewhere else, someone from Oculus said you could get the Rift to work with "up to" 4m of cable by using cable extenders.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

michealv
Explorer
"kalec84" wrote:
"michealv" wrote:
"andyring" wrote:

Just a hook in the ceiling?

That solution isn't going to work for everybody.

:shock:

Yep, some of us don't own our own homes, and putting gigantic holes in the roof is a no no.

well, buy microphone holder (you know, the regolable staff) it cost around 20€
You extend it to the max and make the cable pass over it into the the hook, or some kind of ring, or just with some scotch tape 🙂

I'm 6'4 so no go for me sadly.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.8ghz (water-cooled) | GPU: G1 980ti 6gb | G.Skill Ripjaw's 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 28" Samsung LED 4k monitor (60hz display port) )

Rifter_I0I
Protege
I had my DK2 cable hanging from a couple of shower hooks wrapped in teflon, attached to the end of fishing twine that is hanging from two small hooks on the ceiling. It creates almost no friction and having two hooks means the cable always stays vertical to the HMD. It is also quite discreet.