cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benchmarks in 11 VR Games with Rift CV1: RTX 2070 vs. GTX 1080 vs. Vega 64 - you might be surprised!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just stumbled upon some of the most interesting benchmark results I've seen in a long time - some reviewers actually tested real-world performance with RTX 2070, GTX 1080 and Vega 64 in many classic VR games using Rift CV1.

One problem when let's say evaluating RTX 3080 performance is that we assume that results from pancake gaming will translate into VR performance. But that might not be true - as we'll check later. First let's see some VR results. 

System setup:

• Intel Core i7-8700K (HyperThreading and Turbo boost is on to 4.8 GHz for all cores; Coffee Lake DX11 CPU graphics).
  • EVGA Z370 FTW motherboard (Intel Z370 chipset, latest BIOS, PCIe 3.0/3.1 specification, CrossFire/SLI 8x+8x), supplied by EVGA
  • T-Force XTREEM 16GB DDR4 (2×8 GB, dual channel at 3866MHz), supplied by Team Group
  • RTX 2070 8 GB Founders Edition, stock FE clocks, on loan from NVIDIA
  • GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition, stock FE clocks, on loan from NVIDIA
  • Liquid-Cooled RX Vega 64, 8GB at liquid-cooled clocks
  • 2 x 480GB Team Group SSDs – 1 for Radeon and 1 for GeForce
  • 1.92 TB San Disk enterprise class SSD
  • 2 TB Micron 1100 enterprise class SSD
  • Seasonic 850W Gold Focus power supply unit
  • EVGA CLC 280mm CPU water cooler, supplied by EVGA
  • EVGA Nu Audio stereo PCIe sound card, supplied by EVGA
  • Edifier R1280T active desktop speakers
  • EVGA DG-77, mid-tower case supplied by EVGA
  • Monoprice Crystal Pro 4K
  • Oculus Rift

More info here about the software used etc.:

https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-the-rtx-2070-vs-the-gtx-1080-vs-the-vega-64/

- and the results in short:

xcmeu14lz9uz.jpg

In average RTX 2070 is only 7 % faster than GTX 1080. And 7 % - how many would notice that in a blind test!? (Especially with vsync on) Sure some games are up to nearly 20 % faster using RTX 2070 than GTX 1080, but one game was even 5 % slower! (Ethan Carter). 

Has the old Series 10 been more optimized for VR than Series 20? And how about Series 30? (Huang did not mention VR with one word when introducing 3080, clearly VR has low priority) 

Now, what if we compare 2070 FE vs. 1080 FE in 23 pancake games - then we can see - average results:

Relative Performance 1920x1080

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-founders-edition/

Using 1920x1080 res, 2070 FE is 12 % faster than 1080 FE. That's nearly twice the difference we saw when combining 11 VR games. Thus using pancake games to assume VR performance difference may lead to overestimating performance differences - and it's much worse for 4K pancakes:

Relative Performance 3840x2160

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-founders-edition/

In 4K res, the 2070 is average 19 % faster than GTX 1080. 

Now, the VR results were obtained using CV1 - might be different with Index or G2, we don't know that. What the above results do suggest is that VR performance differences may be much more subtle than performance differences in pancake games. For now using pancake games to estimate performance gains in VR games and apps when upgrading a video card may not be easy and may lead to wrong estimation, so beware. 

The reviewers behind the testing of 11 VR games also have a RTX 3080 - I'll contact them and hear if they would consider some RTX 3080 VR testing - we need to know the real numbers! 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

24 REPLIES 24

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just got a reply from Mark Poppin, who made the above review - I'm convinced he will not mind that I share it here:

Hi Rune,

Thank-you.  I am currently buried in benching for another review that has to take priority, but I expect my VR benching featuring the RTX 3080 will begin before this weekend.  

My target ETA is next Monday (September 29).  

Best regards,

Mark

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 -Which VR headsets is he going to benchmark with the 3080? 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

I don't know - he/they have different hmds - I doubt it will be CV1 😉

They used Vive Pro for some of their latest reviews. Might be a nice choice with Index res. 

And maybe I should get a Vive Pro - already have base stations and Knuckles, and my love for oled is growing these days... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

They used Vive Pro for some of their latest reviews. Might be a nice choice with Index res. 

Hard to imagine why one would want to use a CV1 when one has an Index.
Heck I never fired up my CV1 again after getting the Rift S.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Couldn't help asking Mark Poppin if he could include GTX 1080 when testing RTX 3080 in VR - he just wrote back:

Thank-you for your suggestions, Rune.

I'll do the best I can in the limited time I have.  I will follow-up with a second VR review if I can't include Pascal results in the RTX 3080 VR review.  

I also just hired a new reviewer who specializes in flight/racing sims and VR.  He has a GTX 1080 Ti and I also expect his first BTR review to be posted next week!

Regards,

Mark

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

And maybe I should get a Vive Pro - already have base stations and Knuckles, and my love for oled is growing these days... 

MRTV did a benchmark using different headsets before the 3080 was announced, and they all had different FPS using the same computer setup. This might be a bit pointless if he doesn't benchmark a variety of VR headsets and the VR software they use.

Digikid1
Consultant
2D games....

Was actually considering a 2070.

pyroth309
Visionary
Has the old Series 10 been more optimized for VR than Series 20? And how
about Series 30? (Huang did not mention VR with one word when
introducing 3080, clearly VR has low priority)

I'd say that's hard to say from this test because you're comparing a 1080, the high end line against a lower tier in the 2070. 1080 vs 2080 would be a more apples to apples comparison. I'm sure the 2070 was chosen because the cost is closer to what the 1080 was but the 2000 line was just overpriced due to the RTX chip. Since ray tracing hasn't hit VR at this point, the RTX portion is irrelevant.

PITTCANNA
Visionary
so ray tracing isn't currently used in any vr games so an rtx card vs gtx card would be closer.

its most vr games are coded in dx11, unless dx12 is used rtx wont make a whole lot of difference.