cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Force Feedback wheels for VR

AdKiuCM
Expert Protege
As per the topic. Could you recommend some nice wheels with force feedback for VR? Meaning "for VR" we don't need speed/rev displays + 1000 switches etc.

Immersion is most important. I consider buying G29 + pedals + shifter. Price is quite reasonable too. heard some opinions it is too small for good immersion.

I do not mind paying more for good quality products, but I am not a great simrace maniac and it is for occasional weekend playing, sometimes with friends etc. 

I do not have a special chair or space for it. I use my living room armchair for gaming. Would have to clip wheel on a table in the front of mee unfortunately each time and disassemble it at the end of each session.

Also I hope to spark a decent discussion about wheels, their quality, quality of FF etc. I never owned one, but tested a few before in my friends places or shop displays.
56 REPLIES 56

Belgor
Protege
I use the G29 with Oculus rift and it works perfectly. I use it with Project Cars and Assetto Corsa, where Assetto Corsa even though its only a pre-alpha implementation for rift has the best visuals and best VR feeling.

I use Playseat challenge for mounting it. Its pretty cheap considering how good it is, don't let the looks fool you - it got great reviews and its better than many of its competitors, that cost twice as much.

The immersion with G29 plus playseat is for me 100%. I virtually feel i'm there. I prefer playing formula 1 style cars.

One thing to know is that there currently is a bug in Oculus home, that makes it dependent on your xbox controller being turned on.

see http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oculus-home-controller-disconnected-racing-wheel,32245.html

My advice is to NOT buy racing games from oculus home store until they get that fixed.

I bought mine from steam and it works perfectly. You do NOT get interupted everytime the Xbox controller which you are not using turns off. A work arround could be to plug in cable to the xbox controller so it doesnt turn off. Otherwise when the timer for it turns off you will get interupted racing which breaks the immersion.

Ruined
Heroic Explorer
If you buy the Logitech G920 which is an Xbox controller it works fantastic with home and all the VR games. Latest FW update fixed all the bugs and its best wheel for Oculus IMO.

Zandil
Rising Star
Both Logitech wheels the guys above mentioned are good and I will also recommend the Thrustmaster T300RS

Ruined
Heroic Explorer
Thrustmaster nice also, but probably best to get the TX Leather model again for the XBOX controller built into the wheel capability.  Having that XBOX controller support will make it work better with Oculus home & games so you can use the XBOX buttons right on the wheel.

I personally didn't go for thrustmaster because I heard the belts are a bit more fragile/can require periodic maintenance than the Logitech's gears, and also it is essentially double the price for the same functional setup as a Logitech G920 - wheel, 3 pedal board & shifter is $340 altogether.  About $620 for the same setup w/ thrustmaster.  I did hear the force feedback is better though, and shifter clearly nicer.

edmg
Trustee
I'm using a G29 without the shifter (most modern cars use paddle shifters anyway), and a Playseat Alcantara. Mostly because Amazon had good deals on both at the time I went looking.

There are times in Project Cars when it feels just like my arms are really turning the wheel in the game, but it doesn't sync up as well in Dirt Rally.

rotarydude
Explorer
Fanatec!  E.O.S

blanes
Rising Star
I had 4 different fanatec wheels including 2 porsche wheels and CSR,  prone to failure and unless under warranty difficult to fix. Love the pedals and gear shifter but would not recommend the wheels. Go for a Logitech or Thrustmaster if I were you.

rotarydude
Explorer
I had the Thrustmaster T500 setup with the TH8A shifter and pro pedals.  then went to the Fanatec full setup.  Never looked back  built quality is exceptional

Bleppe
Adventurer
I use the G27 myself and it works great. But if I could afford one I'd deffinatly get a Fanatec. Maybe further down line I'll get one :smile: