cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best laptops for VR

Sinstalker21
Heroic Explorer
I am looking into having a laptop built but I deff want it able to do VR for when I travel and sometimes for work.  So, my question is is there anyone that regularly plays their Oculus on a VR laptop and if so how well is it compared to desktop PCs?  Also, if you can add your laptop's specs so I can get a clear idea of what to look for.  

Also, I am not looking for a prebuilt one and yes, I know I will be spending a lot of money.  I paid out the butt for my Origin desktop last aug. and I was messing around w/ pricing earlier and was already over the cost I spent on that PC..   😕

Thanks guys and girls for the help in advanced 🙂
24 REPLIES 24

vannagirl
Consultant
I will say this for custom high end laptops 

Spend 2.3k on a sli 780 first card went to cost 520 in replacement now the other has gone and all within 3 years

It seemed a great idea but i never do this again. Was a lovely laptop though
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

ShocksVR
Superstar
Get a laptop that will have the new Thunderbolt 3 standard.  This will allow you to use eGPUs (external GPU) as a future upgrade down the road.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3019297/hardware/asus-rog-xg-station-2-dock-wants-to-up-your-laptops-...

Or, get an Alienware, which has eGPU capability now.

Lastly, for the first time in laptop history, the latest generation GPUs (1000 series for nvidia) for desktop and laptops use the SAME hardware (although the laptop may feature a downclocked version); performance is usually within 10%.  Thus, a 1070 laptop is similar to a 1070 desktop.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Laptop.169549.0.html

In fact, the GTX 1070 laptop is faster than my AMD RX 480 desktop.

If I were you, since most laptops are not user firendly to repairs, I would get something w/ a great warranty and support (Dell has awesome next day Onsite support (extra fee)); thus an Alienware r17 (or 18).  I would aim for at least a GTX 1070 for VR use.

If you want Boutique, then Origin can probably conjure something amazing.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Sinstalker21
Heroic Explorer

Get a laptop that will have the new Thunderbolt 3 standard.  This will allow you to use eGPUs (external GPU) as a future upgrade down the road.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3019297/hardware/asus-rog-xg-station-2-dock-wants-to-up-your-laptops-...

Or, get an Alienware, which has eGPU capability now.

Lastly, for the first time in laptop history, the latest generation GPUs (1000 series for nvidia) for desktop and laptops use the SAME hardware (although the laptop may feature a downclocked version); performance is usually within 10%.  Thus, a 1070 laptop is similar to a 1070 desktop.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Laptop.169549.0.html

In fact, the GTX 1070 laptop is faster than my AMD RX 480 desktop.

If I were you, since most laptops are not user firendly to repairs, I would get something w/ a great warranty and support (Dell has awesome next day Onsite support (extra fee)); thus an Alienware r17 (or 18).  I would aim for at least a GTX 1070 for VR use.

If you want Boutique, then Origin can probably conjure something amazing.

Yeah I just saw a video about the GPUs being like that.  I am actually looking into Origin w/ a 1080 atm.  The only thing is ppl in the reviews saying that the 10 series X and SLX have a loud fans if your gaming hard….idk I know reviews are usually not friendly on everything.  I know they ALL say they are powerhouses and can do anything IF you can just get over the fan noise… it sort of has me worried. lol

Sinstalker21
Heroic Explorer
and FYI I have an origin desktop lol but I like how the Origin laptops are upgradable.

ShocksVR
Superstar

and FYI I have an origin desktop lol but I like how the Origin laptops are upgradable.

That's awesome!  I would definitely go w/ something that is upgradable.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Choronzon
Adventurer
Mine is Asus ROG G752VS. As far as VR is concerned I can't praise it high enough. Supersampling at 2.0 is a breeze.

Anyone in 2017 (specifically PC lovers) who rubbishes laptops for VR is talking out the back of his head.

Sinstalker21
Heroic Explorer
Well i did it…I bought one its like a mini-desktop. lol. I hope its enough...
Display Type: EON17-X QHD 2540 x 1440 17.3" IPS 120Hz G-SYNC Matte Display 
 Screen Calibration: ORIGIN PC LCD Screen Calibration 
 Keyboard and Touchpad: Customizable Backlit Keyboard w/ Three Lighting Zones and Multiple Color options and Multi-gesture Touchpad 
 Graphic Cards: Single NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB [VR Ready] 
 ORIGIN Professional Graphics Card Overclocking: ORIGIN PC Professional Graphics Card Overclocking 
 Processors: Intel Core i7 7700K Quad-Core 4.2GHz (4.5GHz TurboBoost) 
 Thermal Compound: GELID GC-Extreme CPU Application 
 Thermal Compound: GELID GC-Extreme Graphics Card Application 
 Memory: 16GB ORIGIN PC Approved DDR4 2400MHz (2 X 8GB) 
 Operating System: MS Windows 10 Home 
 External Optical Drive: 6X External Blu-Ray Writer 
 Playback Software: CyberLink PowerDVD 16 Ultra (MSRP $99) 
 M.2 SSD Option: m.2 SSD OS Drive 
 M.2 RAID Configuration: RAID 0: For better speed and performance (2 or more identical drives needed) 
 M.2 SSD Drive: 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2 
 M.2 SSD Drive Two: 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2 
 Hard Drive RAID Configuration: RAID 0: For better speed and performance (2 or more identical drives needed) LT 
 Hard Drive: 1TB Samsung 850 Evo Series 
 Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Sound Card powered by THX TruStudio Pro 
 Onboard LAN: Killer™ E2400 
 Networking: Killer™ Wireless AC 1535 Dual Band +BT (*Killer Doubleshot Pro enabled) 
 SuperSpeed USB 3.0: SuperSpeed USB 3.0 
 SuperSpeed+ USB 3.1 Type-C: USB 3.1 Type-C 
 Media Card Reader: Media Card Reader 
 Finger Print Reader: Integrated Biometric Area Fingerprint Reader 
 Integrated Camera: Built-in 2.0M FHD Video Camera

I am worried about how loud the fans are though, I have read they are sort of loud.  Guess I will find out O.o

vannagirl
Consultant
Wow that is alot of laptop

Grats sinstalker
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Sinstalker21
Heroic Explorer

vannagirl said:

Wow that is alot of laptop

Grats sinstalker

ty :smiley:  I am a happy girl hehe.  Now the long wait for it lol.