cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blogged on my dev kit

ProfessorK
Honored Guest
Arrived yesterday, tried it out last night, blogged this am.

http://unseenu.quora.com/Its-an-Oculus-Morning
16 REPLIES 16

jaimi
Expert Protege
Interesting article, now I'm all jealous. What sort of Mac are you running? I'm hesitant to try in Vmware Fusion, will probably just boot straight to windows (I'm on an early 2011 mbp). If you don't mind sharing, What was your order number? I'm at 2456, and stuck on "processing" forever. 🙂

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
I really need to stop reading these first impressions that people post. I've become quite a patient sort of person as I've grown older, but the anticipation of getting my Rift has me acting like I'm an 8 year old 2 days before Christmas, and given that my birthday is on Christmas eve, that's pretty bad..

Thanks for sharing though 🙂 </jealousy>
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

ProfessorK
Honored Guest
Hey guys, as I posted elsewhere I was pledge number 1346.

I ran the demo on my Macbook Pro, because my desktop Imac has a dead hard drive that I need to get replaced, here are specs:

2.3 ghz Intel Core i7 (4 cpus)
8GB 1600mhz DDR3
Nvidia GeforceGT 650M 512MB
OSX Lion 10.7.5

I run 7 Home Premium under VMWare with 2 cores and 4GB memory.

Nedo
Explorer
"Fluke" wrote:
...the anticipation of getting my Rift has me acting like I'm an 8 year old 2 days before Christmas, and given that my birthday is on Christmas eve, that's pretty bad..

LOL Fluke, i feel the same and that at the age of 44 ;-D
I think we will remember this crazy times. the days when the future started 😉
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016

MrGeddings
Explorer
Very great article. nice to see more positive feedback instead of "oh noes the pixels i see them!" 😛 (someone should make a this looks 'shopped" oculus rift image. "i can tell by some of the pixels and seeing a lot of 'shops in my day" ) lol.

Cant wait for mine!

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
"nedo" wrote:

It is a bit bonkers. I recall the few times when I had a genuine feeling of experiencing something amazing. The first time I powered up my Spectrum, the massive shift of going from a C64 to an Atari ST, seeing mode 7 on a Snes, and seeing Mario on the N64 stand out for me.

I've not experienced that feeling of witnessing such a gut wrenching shift in technology since. Things have obviously got better over the years, but it's all been in small increments. I hope the Rift can give me that sense of actually experiencing something utterly new in gaming.
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Nice.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

brantlew
Adventurer
"Fluke" wrote:
"nedo" wrote:

It is a bit bonkers. I recall the few times when I had a genuine feeling of experiencing something amazing. The first time I powered up my Spectrum, the massive shift of going from a C64 to an Atari ST, seeing mode 7 on a Snes, and seeing Mario on the N64 stand out for me.

I've not experienced that feeling of witnessing such a gut wrenching shift in technology since. Things have obviously got better over the years, but it's all been in small increments. I hope the Rift can give me that sense of actually experiencing something utterly new in gaming.

Ha ha, your comments expose your age. I cut my teeth on an Atari 800XL - still have the box that's plastered with the advertisement of 64KB OF RAM - WOW! Also, you forgot to mention the wonderfully amazing Amiga with 4096 colors!! way back in the days of crappy PC 16 color EGA mode. Also, moving from 2D platformers or isometrics to Wolf/Doom was mind-melting back then!!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yep, my first computer was a Commodore64, and I still remember typing in all sorts of BASIC code just to get a game to load up. Fun times.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV