cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boosting PC performance?

Nij
Heroic Explorer
I've generally stayed away from all these programs that promise to boost your pc by 50% and optimize it for gaming, but have of course used Oculus tray tool

I'm curious though do they actually work, does anybody actually use software to boost their pc to say increase processor speed or free up GPU memory for VR gaming and can they deliver on giving you a much better gaming experience

I've downloaded the free version of smart game booster and was debating whether to purchase a license, not tired it yet  :):smile: but just wanted people's opinions on whether they make a difference
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
5 REPLIES 5

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
My advice is to stay well clear of these so-called optimizers.  For the most part they are nothing but snake oil and in my experience cause more problems than they purport to fix.  Same goes with registry cleaners. I would avoid installing trial versions of any of these because you may find it difficult to fully uninstall them later (probably then need revo uninstaller to do this, lol!). 

I think that current versions of win10 do a very good job of managing your resources.  Learn how to properly use win10 features like power and performance (system adv settings) management if you feel you need to fine tune things a bit better. 

If you want to overclock your cpu you should learn how to properly do this, usually through your bios.  I do a mild OC with my i9 9900k to 5Ghz on all cores (and disable hyperthreading btw).  This works fine but to be honest there is not a lot in it compared to leaving it stock (w/turbo).  Also, very important to have good cooling (mine is water cooled) if you want to OC.

OC'ing your gpu can be easily done with software like msi Afterburner.  I have used this in the past with my gtx1080ti but I've always found it best to uninstall this bloatware and go back to stock clocks.  Much more stable and cooler. 

Also, if you are using a nvidia gpu learn how to properly use Nvidia control panel (and DDU).  If you cannot be bothered to do this then you are best to stick with defaults.  Relying on a black-box program to do this for you is a very bad idea imho. 
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Everything that Tom said.

Best optimisation you can do is make sure that you close Chrome or any other browser (but ESPECIALLY Chrome!!!) before you start your VR game because browsers are notorious resource hogs.

Nij
Heroic Explorer
awesome advice, thanks, was pretty sure this was the case but was a bit curious, got my system running on high performance mode anyway and i'll just stick to tweaking settings manually
Headsets: DK1 Kickstarter edition, DK2, Rift CV!, Oculus Go, Rift S, HP Reverb G2 System: i7-8086K, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz, 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
As Tom said, you can overclock and that's about it. I use the MSI Afterburner too, it works perfectly and has resulted in solid 10% more fps with my rig - compared to the standard speed of my already factory oc'ed video card.
So far I haven't felt any need to oc the cpu, maybe next year, lol. But I need all the gpu speed I can get, I've oc'ed to a few Mhz below first signs of instability, but it has worked flawlessly for 3 years now. 
For the last 3 year OTT and MSI Afterburner have auto-launched everytime I've started the rig, I don't recall using any other programs (than what Win10 wants me to use as the bare minimum). 
In fact I only have Steam, Oculus software and games on the rig - nothing else. No Office etc., I have other PCs for non-gaming/VR - that may also help keeping the VR rig free from junk and as fast as possible.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, if I had a crappy gpu instead of my 1080ti I'd probably OC the heck out of it and use ASW/motion smoothing as well, lol!  Just kidding mate.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers