cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace Yourselves: OC5 Topics are coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Some topics have been revealed for OC5 (September 26). Here are the items I'm most intrigued by so far:

Advances in the Oculus Rift PC SDK
Volga Aksoy, Oculus Software Engineer + Dean Beeler, Oculus Software Engineer
The PC SDK is the foundation of performance apps and games. This session will cover our latest features and new runtime advances designed to help you boost visual fidelity and performance.

How To: Driving Discovery and Engagement Across the Rift Platform
Lucy Chen, Oculus Product Manager
The Rift platform extends well beyond the headset to surfaces online, on mobile, and on desktop. Learn how to put these tools to work to help you distribute and market apps—and engage with your players, fans, and followers in new ways. We’ll share insights on our roadmap and developer needs we’re working to address. Bring your ideas and feedback to this interactive session.

Evolving Stormland: How Insomniac Draws from the Past to Create an Open-World Structure in VR
Mike Daly, Insomniac Games Lead Designer + Duncan Moore, Insomniac Games Principal Designer
Insomniac Games has a long history of making games with smooth gameplay, player empowerment, and open-world freedom. The creators of Ratchet & Clank, Sunset Overdrive, and The Unspoken will share some of the VR-specific gameplay tips and tricks discovered over the course of developing four VR titles that culminate in Stormland’s free-roaming exploration and combat gameplay, as well as how these aspects enrich the player experience in VR.

Using Deep Learning to Create Interactive Actors for VR
Kevin He, DeepMotion CEO
Physical character interaction is hard to fake—whether it’s between two in-world characters, between users and characters, or between a character or avatar and its environmental surroundings. Nevertheless, interaction is central to user-driven storytelling and building immersive VR and AR experiences that suspend disbelief. DeepMotion will discuss the challenges of, and science behind, building an interactive character authoring tool, as well as how developers can integrate intelligent character simulation into their own experiences.

I'm a huge fan of Insomniac games, and their Stormland title is high on my "must buy" list. It's scheduled for a 2019 release. I'm looking forward to hearing their presentation. And of course, it's always great to see Rift news!

Here's the current list of 'revealed' topics, with more to come:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oc5-preview-first-18-talks-revealed-registration-now-open-to-attend-sept...

And it's always nice to see a Tweet from Carmack:

18 REPLIES 18

Digikid1
Consultant
m841ir7ul5gr.jpg

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I see John C likes me my tweeting me oh my oh me........learn to type John  :#
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111 said:

I see John C likes me my tweeting me oh my oh me........learn to type John  :#

Me my didn't even notice that.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It's like the the second "the" in a sentence. Hard to notice!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well they need to give some good concrete info on their plans for a true next generation Rift. 
I am excited by what they have shared with us so far with the Half Dome info, but at the same time they made clear not all of that would be in a next generation device.

If OC5 comes and goes without that, I will be disappointed. I don't care about Santa Cruz dangit, I care about my next Rift for my PC!

Edit: reading the full info on that link, sounds like it will be mostly talking about the Go and "Project" Santa Cruz. At least from what they have shared so far.
I can tell you from what I am seeing many in the flight and racing sims are moving to WMR devices for the higher resolution , and with them being seated games tracking not an issue. Odyssey seems to be their preferred choice to move to at this time. 

I love my Rift and love what all I can do with my Rift, but as a hard core simmer at heart I am getting anxious to see something from Oculus for us too. Still hanging my hat with them though for now.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
We should definitely see more Rift CV2 news. In fact, a recent report shows that the Rift (finally) surpassed the Vive in terms of "developer target platform interest." I've actually followed this trend for over a year. I knew full well that the Vive was ahead of the Rift in 2016 and 2017. But the Rift finally pulled ahead:

I have actually become a fan of some of HTC's agenda's of late, so I'm only presenting this information in regards to "Rift" interest and developments. The fact that 1 out of 3 developers are leaning more towards the Rift and the Oculus exclusive platforms is good news for us CV1 owners who are wanting a CV2 in the very near future.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Some Tournament news,

Fun games and big cash prizes headed to OC5:

Oculus Confirms Four VR eSports Tournament Finals Coming to Oculus Connect 5

Competing for a total cash prize pool of $120,000, tournament hopefuls will descend upon San Jose’s McEnery Convention Center on September 26th – 27th.

Day One of the conference will include Onward and The Unspoken finals, while Day Two will feature Echo Arena and Sprint Vector finals.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-confirms-four-vr-esports-tournament-finals-coming-oculus-connect-5/

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Whilst I am mildly interested in SC from an academic perspective CV2 is where it is at for me. I really hope we get to see a CV 2 prototype and maybe a launch window teaser of it. The latter may be asking a bit much but one can hope.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I think we are getting to the "window" where we will hear something soon for a CV2 because I believe we are close to a tech recycle with oculus imo
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.