Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

kojack
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

Nate Mitchell only has to visit the Oculus forums once in a while to see that people want this included.

Oculus staff going somewhere other than Reddit? Heresy!

dburne said:

I will most likely get the Reverb for my combat flight sims.
Keep the Rift CV1 for some of those Oculus Touch games I enjoy on occasion.
Probably 90% of my VR time is seated flight simming.

I might be leaning in that direction. Reverb for seated games, CV1 for rest.
Hmm, my main sims and their stores:
- Elite Dangerous from Frontier store
- X-Plane from Laminar Research store
- Euro Truck Sim 2 from Steam
- Subnautica from Epic store
- DCS from Eagle Dynamics store.
- Dirt from Steam

I don't actually have any sims from the Oculus store, so changing headsets for them doesn't hurt. The things I have on the oculus store are suited to CV1/touch.
X-Plane and DCS in particular would benefit from the Reverb resolution.

I'm definitely getting a Quest, but Rift-S... I'll think about it when there's an "Add To Cart" button on the oculus home page.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

pyroth309
Visionary

KlodsBrik said:

Ok that's hilarious.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@SkScotchegg - The reason might be because lots of people had problems with audio on the CV1. Didn't the ribbon cable wear out and snap for a fair few people? I also suspect it's due to the more robust design of the Rift -S, which is designed like PS-VR. It would be hard getting the headphones adjusted to your ears with the PSVR design, which btw I find really comfortable.

I quite like the Rift- S for the price, if it's £399 I think it's worth it. You can spend an extra £100 on a good pair of headphones that are better then the current Rift's speakers and that makes it £499, which is still worth it.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

kojack said:

Aekero said:

It's like the vive to vive pro upgrade, but to Oculus' credit they didn't make the rift-s $1200. 

Yeah, that price was rather painful.

But spec wise, the Vive Pro was a bigger jump. It went from 1080x1200 to 1440x1600 and added headphones. The Rift-S went from 1080x1200 to 1280x1440 and removed headphones.

So if the Vive Pro was considered a Vive 1.5, then I guess Rift-S is a Rift 1.25? 🙂
(Well, somewhere between 0.8 and 1.5 for me, depending on the situation in which I'm using it)

It's a sad day for VR lol.

I still love my Rift but I just can't get over removing the hadphones on Rift S. I'm going to have nightmares tonight where I'm talking to myself in my sleep saying "no, no, no, don't remove the headphones! No please! No God please!!! don't take my headphones away!!!!" 😞
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

MowTin
Expert Trustee

Rift S fixes everything for me that I didnt like about the CV1

• Optics (Going from GO to my Rift always feels like I am looking through vaseline covered glass) GO optics are superior to pretyt much anything else out there, and that is a fact, look it up.
  • SDE: Great Resolution (Go panel is not pentile so no more maura, much higher pixel fill,  no blotches of redness, perceived SDE is much lower)  
  • Vibrancy and brightness of the LCD panel in GO (its super bright and colours are soooo punchy, compared to RIFT).
  • Ergonomics, Rift is uncomfortable for me with my large head so this is a big improvement, I found PSVR HMD super comfy and this is a rip of that.
  • No more worrying that sensors are aligned properly or somebody moved them
  • Passthrough!
  • 3 USB ports will be freed up

I don't have a GPU to drive anything higher than that res reliably. Even my 1080 even struggles sometimes.

If you own a GO, 60hz looks perfectly fine. 80hz on the Rift S will make no difference to you from 90, yet you are saving 10fps of horsepower.

One small thing is that LCD's blacks are not pure black.

Everything else ticks the boxes for me.

The baffling thing for most of us is why the resolution is lower than the Quest. I think it will ultimately come down to how it looks. I'm worried about the lack of deep blacks in space games like Elite Dangerous. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

pyroth309 said:

Ok that's hilarious.

Whoever made this that's my future boyfriend/girlfriend :lol:
Be good, die great !

LZoltowski
Champion

MowTin said:

• Optics (Going from GO to my Rift always feels like I am looking through vaseline covered glass) GO optics are superior to pretyt much anything else out there, and that is a fact, look it up.
  • SDE: Great Resolution (Go panel is not pentile so no more maura, much higher pixel fill,  no blotches of redness, perceived SDE is much lower)  
  • Vibrancy and brightness of the LCD panel in GO (its super bright and colours are soooo punchy, compared to RIFT).
  • Ergonomics, Rift is uncomfortable for me with my large head so this is a big improvement, I found PSVR HMD super comfy and this is a rip of that.
  • Passthrough!

I don't have a GPU to drive anything higher than that res reliably. Even my 1080 even struggles sometimes.

If you own a GO, 60hz looks perfectly fine. 80hz on the Rift S will make no difference to you from 90, yet you are saving 10fps of horsepower.

The baffling thing for most of us is why the resolution is lower than the Quest. I think it will ultimately come down to how it looks. I'm worried about the lack of deep blacks in space games like Elite Dangerous. 

Actually, You need to crank up that pixel density on an OLED panel far higher than an LCD to achieve a similar perceived SDE reduction.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

MowTin said:

• Passthrough!

We'll the black levels of the Oculus Go are supposed to be pretty good and the colours are supposed to be more vibrant too, and the SDE is also pretty much gone too apparently. I'm guessing that you'll probably get used to the black levels and won't notice them that much in game.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

MowTin said:

i wonder why they used Go screen and not quest screens?

oculus said they want 3 product lines, i hope in the future they do not
replace the go and the quest takes that slack and they introduce a high
spec rift as well as the rift S.

I don't get that either. I'm thinking they were obsessed with the price. 

Everyone was hoping for simply a wired Quest. 

I'm beginning to think my next headset will be a Vive. The knuckles controllers look awesome. 

I'm also worried about my space games. If the Blacks aren't as deep then that may be a deal breaker. 

I don't get why they focused on the price when Vive and Pimax are the next best thing and they're ridiculously priced, so the Rift S could have been £500 or £600 and kept the earphones and sensors, we'd of all been happy, and they would have still had the cheapest high end HMD in the world...I just don't get their logic. Especially when they already bringing out Quest for new users and mass market, there was no need to make Rift S £400, it should have been the same price as the original Rift which I paid £600 for, and was happy to.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, You need to crank up that pixel density on an OLED panel far higher than an LCD to achieve a similar perceived SDE reduction.

What? That is not true at all - it comes down to pixel pitch and the pixel sub arrangement. The reason they like the fast LCD is because it has full RGB while the OLED they're currently using in CV1 does not. If I remember right, they do make a full RGB for OLED already. There isn't actually a reason other than cost that they could use OLED over LCD in this case. That price point is what is costing the features and quality of the headset. 100$ differences I am sure could've allow quite a few other features.