Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

LZoltowski
Champion

Mradr said:

Actually, You need to crank up that pixel density on an OLED panel far higher than an LCD to achieve a similar perceived SDE reduction.

What? That is not true at all - it comes down to pixel pitch and the pixel sub arrangement. The reason they like the fast LCD is because it has full RGB while the OLED they're currently using does not. If I remember right, they do make a full RGB for OLED already. There isn't actually a reason other than cost that they could use OLED over LCD in this case. That price point is what is costing the features and quality of the headset. 100$ differences I am sure could've allow quite a few other features.

Pentile vs Grid + Pixel Fill
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mradr said:

Actually, You need to crank up that pixel density on an OLED panel far higher than an LCD to achieve a similar perceived SDE reduction.

What? That is not true at all - it comes down to pixel pitch and the pixel sub arrangement. The reason they like the fast LCD is because it has full RGB while the OLED they're currently using does not. If I remember right, they do make a full RGB for OLED already. There isn't actually a reason other than cost that they could use OLED over LCD in this case. That price point is what is costing the features and quality of the headset. 100$ differences I am sure could've allow quite a few other features.

That isn't a limitation of OLED though. That just how pixels are lay out.

LZoltowski
Champion

Mradr said:

Mradr said:

That isn't a limitation of OLED though. That just how pixels are lay out.

Oh for sure, but those are the panels they are using .. I could obviously be talking out of my butthole ... but AFAIK that could be a reason. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

MowTin
Expert Trustee

I don't get why they focused on the price when Vive and Pimax are the next best thing and they're ridiculously priced, so the Rift S could have been £500 or £600 and kept the earphones and sensors, we'd of all been happy, and they would have still had the cheapest high end HMD in the world...I just don't get their logic. Especially when they already bringing out Quest for new users and mass market, there was no need to make Rift S £400, it should have been the same price as the original Rift which I paid £600 for, and was happy to 

My guess is they feel they've been winning the HMD wars with their low prices. They didn't want to raise the price or the minimum specs for PC VR because they feel these are the biggest barriers to entry. 

The problem with higher resolutions is very few people have to power to push those pixels. And the render target resolution is usually a lot higher. (correct me if I'm wrong) than the display resolution. 

I have a 2080 ti and I find that with a high super sampling (1.7 to 2.0) things look really good. So just raw resolution may not be the biggest issue in terms of image clarity. 

I think they see the Rift S as an update to the Rift not an upgrade. They needed the update to compete with the WMR headsets and retain their market share while they (hopefully) work on a Rift 2.0. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
All I wanted was increased FOV but what I actually got instead was...they took my earphones away. 😞
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

ShocksVR
Superstar

I don't understand why they would take the built in earphones away from the Rift? I mean come on? Why would you do that?

I was excited for the Rift S but that I'm just puzzled by, I really can't understand it. I really don't want to have to plug headphones in every time I put on the Rift S.

When I saw Quest, I thought wow, that looked awesome, and it has updated touch controllers and it's wireless so imagine playing Beat Saber with Quest, that will be wicked, I will buy Quest just for Beat Saber alone. And that was before Beat Saber was even confirmed for quest.

Rift-S and Quest feature the same sound tube system. So if you're gonna use headphones with Rift-S, you'll be doing the same with Quest.  BTW, the sound tubes are pretty good on GO.

And to echo other comments, Screen Door Effect and Clarity.
Ben Lang from RoadToVR was on Reddit answering questions.  He said the Rift-S screen looks a lot better than what the specs state; mainly because it's an RBG screen (I believe Pimax also uses RBG).  The screen door effect is greatly reduce with RBG, thus greatly increasing clarity.  In his answer, he put the Rift-S just a notch below Vive Pro; so it sounds like the Rift-S could be "similar" to a 1600p OLED.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

MowTin said:

i wonder why they used Go screen and not quest screens?

oculus said they want 3 product lines, i hope in the future they do not
replace the go and the quest takes that slack and they introduce a high
spec rift as well as the rift S.

I don't get that either. I'm thinking they were obsessed with the price. 

Everyone was hoping for simply a wired Quest. 

I'm beginning to think my next headset will be a Vive. The knuckles controllers look awesome. 

I'm also worried about my space games. If the Blacks aren't as deep then that may be a deal breaker. 

I don't get why they focused on the price when Vive and Pimax are the next best thing and they're ridiculously priced, so the Rift S could have been £500 or £600 and kept the earphones and sensors, we'd of all been happy, and they would have still had the cheapest high end HMD in the world...I just don't get their logic. Especially when they already bringing out Quest for new users and mass market, there was no need to make Rift S £400, it should have been the same price as the original Rift which I paid £600 for, and was happy to 

But not everybody was happy were they? There were countless posts about the ribbon cable snapping and of people losing audio on the current Rift. Like I said in an earlier post the Rift-S has an audio jack and adding £100 to £200 to the cost of Rift -S £399, this will get you a much better pair of headphones then the current Rift's speakers. 

The sensors might still be used to track the controllers if Oculus decide to keep this in their software. I think people's feedback will make them decide to do this, so I have a feeling it will stay in for now. 

Digikid1
Consultant

vannagirl said:

vannagirl said:

This seems a great gap fit if it uses touch. I trust oculus to deliver great tracking also i feel it will be a worthwhile upgrade until something much more techy comes from oculus.

hopefully it also cuts down godrays and i have psvr the design is rediculously comfy

Flippin heck, where did you pop up from?

As for upgrade, i don't think it's much of one.  This is great for new PC VR users, might be worthwhile if you have the money (and already have a Rift).

Haha

back to kill off this sausagefest!!!

Oh so you ARE still alive. Was beginning to wonder if Snowdog had chased you down and you were in hiding. LOL

That said I am extremely disappointed in this so-called new replacement for the oculus rift. So unless there is a massive price cut I will not be getting one.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Rift-S and Quest feature the same sound tube system. So if you're gonna use headphones with Rift-S, you'll be doing the same with Quest.  BTW, the sound tubes are pretty good on GO.

I own a GO as well as my Rift and yeah I agree with yourself and others, the GO sound is amazing, BUT for me, it's amazing as a media center for watching Netflix, YouTube and Live events. I don't want that same technology on my Rift and I don't want to have to plug in headphones either.

The Rift CV1 headphones for me, sound amazing, super comfy, and I've never had any issues with them. Also I've never had any issues with tracking either. So there are some people who would say "lets get rid of the headphones and tracking because we have problems with them" but i'm sure that's the minority, for everyone else the tracking and headphones were flawless. So that's what's makes this announcement so sad for me.

And now tonight I am going to have to eat a lot of chocolate, I'm going to start with a Toblerone and see where the night takes me...
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

But not everybody was happy were they? There were countless posts about the ribbon cable snapping and of people losing audio on the current Rift. Like I said in an earlier post the Rift-S has an audio jack and adding £100 to £200 to the cost of Rift -S £399, this will get you a much better pair of headphones then the current Rift's speakers. 

I don't agree mate, like I said in my previous post, the tracking and headphones was flawless for most Rift users and din't need to be changed. Don't forget people don't post on the forums every time their Rift works and says "Hey guys, my Rift is working 100% perfectly, just wanted to let you know". Instead people post when their Rift isn't working and complain about their individual issue which is in the minority of Rift users.