Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
... just logged back in to get caught up on "you have 64 notifications"

need more coffee

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

And now tonight I am going to have to eat a lot of chocolate, I'm going to start with a Toblerone and see where the night takes me...

Probably a visit to chocoholics anonymous.

You have to remember this is all about keeping prices low and getting numbers into VR. Adding £100 here an there for things like added speakers isn't going to get numbers into VR. VR will die a death eventually if it doesn't get lots of people on-board, it's as simple as that really. 

Keeping costs down is the only way to get lots of people into VR, unless you can think of another way?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The Rift S - Rift second generation. We need the Rift X.

vannagirl said:
back to kill off this sausagefest!!!

LZoltowski said:
I could obviously be talking out of my butthole

Techy111
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

... just logged back in to get caught up on "you have 64 notifications"

need more coffee

Can we keep it to coffee Mr Zen....... 😄
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

I own a GO as well as my Rift and yeah I agree with yourself and others, the GO sound is amazing, BUT for me, it's amazing as a media center for watching Netflix, YouTube and Live events. I don't want that same technology on my Rift and I don't want to have to plug in headphones either.

The Rift CV1 headphones for me, sound amazing, super comfy, and I've never had any issues with them. Also I've never had any issues with tracking either. So there are some people who would say "lets get rid of the headphones and tracking because we have problems with them" but i'm sure that's the minority, for everyone else the tracking and headphones were flawless. So that's what's makes this announcement so sad for me.

And now tonight I am going to have to eat a lot of chocolate, I'm going to start with a Toblerone and see where the night takes me...

Plugging in some headphones is not a big deal. And maybe it's nice to have the option of not using headphone when the wife is around talking to you (or just for being aware of your surroundings) 🙂

And if we can press a button and see the wife using passthrough, that would be good too. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Techy111
MVP
MVP
The Go is great, has good sound but when the wife is next to you in bed and you are watching po......a Netflix movie, one cannot have it too loud as ones wife gets annoyed.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
See! I told ya she'd miss me!!!  ❤️

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

See! I told ya she'd miss me!!!

Bro, please don't scare her away again. We need her!

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:
But not everybody was happy were they? There were countless posts about the ribbon cable snapping and of people losing audio on the current Rift. Like I said in an earlier post the Rift-S has an audio jack and adding £100 to £200 to the cost of Rift -S £399, this will get you a much better pair of headphones then the current Rift's speakers. 

The sensors might still be used to track the controllers if Oculus decide to keep this in their software. I think people's feedback will make them decide to do this, so I have a feeling it will stay in for now. 

True, but now that they have a more static strap, your argument about ribbon cables breaking should now be fix, would it not? That was more of a design flaw than it was a unfix-able problem honestly. I understand GO open air speakers are good - but I love the headphones that the OG CV1 came with too. For me it's not that much of a deal breaker - but it was nice to have something over the ear that was usually only heard by you than something everyone going to be hearing along the fact that you couldn't hear anything else outside of the game too.

Granted I like the earphone jack as an option - but to be force to have to use it instead seems 100% backwards.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Well, here's a really good read on Rift-S with a talk from Mr. Rubin.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-20-oculus-its-no-longer-a-burden-to-get-into-virtual-...

I copied the two points that caught my attention the most:
a good laptop can run it

Rubin is referring to the combination of
cross-play and cross-buy that will be another pillar to Oculus'
messaging going forward. Quest users will be able to play multiplayer
titles against Rift and Rift S owners, and the company will be
encouraging developers to put titles on both stores if possible -- even
enabling them to allow players to buy one version and automatically own
the other.