Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

pyroth309
Visionary

Wildt said:

pyroth309 said:

I just posted in the Audica thread about something changing with my Odyssey+ since the last time I tried beat saber so I can attest to what this developer is talking about. I was playing a bunch of single player games and stuff like Gorn and then I went away to flat screen land for a couple of months. Somewhere along the way it learned how to predict. It is really good now something definitely got improved. Beat Saber is flawless for me now with just two cameras. Having 5 will be close to perfect and a lot more convenient. 

My takeaway here is that "close to perfect" is actually better than "flawless" :lol:

Lol I meant close to perfect tracking in everything. Beat Saber is mostly in front of you. If you recall from the Beat Saber thread, in 5 minutes with the O+ I gave up as It was getting occlusion from my wide swings.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

I'm quoting this post from a different thread. I wanted to be sure people in this thread didn't miss it:

Woody3D said:

When I used my Samsung Odyssey in the first weeks, it was hard
to get used to.  then they started to increase the 'intelligence' of the
software, giving it predictive, and reactive algorithms.  Now, when I
am in Lone Echo, The Climb, Time Transit, or JET ISLAND,  I no longer
notice any problems at all with the tracking,  as a VR Developer,  I am
highly adaptive yes, but they ALSO,  made it much better, If you
reach behind you to grab something, then pull your arm back the rock or
Arrow or Flashlight is indeed in your hand. It is perfectly
able (check out your shadows!) to track your hand behind you, and then
even though it is completely out of sight, TRACK YOUR HAND BACK with
smart algorithms they evolved using our own game play styles.

I know your intentions with this post were different, but it actually makes me more positive about the Reverb - if HP uses similar algorithms. 
I do believe newcomers to VR will love the Rift-S, but considering the cons and pros I don't think Rift-S is enough to make me abandon the Rift (and I'd never sell the Rift for Reverb, I'd only consider the Reverb as a supplement for the Rift). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

I know your intentions with this post were different, but it actually makes me more positive about the Reverb - if HP uses similar algorithms. 
I do believe newcomers to VR will love the Rift-S, but considering the cons and pros I don't think Rift-S is enough to make me abandon the Rift (and I'd never sell the Rift for Reverb, I'd only consider the Reverb as a supplement for the Rift). 

Yea the only thing holding me back from either is how good the black levels are. Anxious to get some footage.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Yea the only thing holding me back from either is how good the black levels are.

Agreed, although I'd be willing to endure some grey for 4K res  😄

The SPUD/MURA has been very annoying on the Rift for long, and I don't take it lightly that many RIFT-S reviewers found it more greyish than the Rift. I love space apps and games the most - the universe really needs true blacks. The SPUD nearly killed Spheres for me. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Yea the only thing holding me back from either is how good the black levels are.

Yea true enough, as long as they aren't washed out gray like the Pimax, I'll probably spring for it.

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

The SPUD/MURA has been very annoying on the Rift for long, and I don't take it lightly that many RIFT-S reviewers found it more greyish than the Rift. I love space apps and games the most - the universe really needs true blacks. The SPUD nearly killed Spheres for me. 

Ditto, it was mind blowing the first time I used the O+ in darker games and even colorful games. I find the Rift colors very dull despite being an OLED. My main gripe about Rift S was always the price, the loss of audio and the concern about black levels after multiple people commented on gray blacks. If I didn't have an O+ already, i'd probably be more interested. The tracking is the biggest advantage I'd want out of it, but Right now I'm pretty content with the O+.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Yea true enough, as long as they aren't washed out gray like the Pimax, I'll probably spring for it.

My wife really dislikes the Rift - she thinks the image quality is way too pixelated. And my arguments like "but this isn't normal Rift res - you're getting ss 2.0 at perfect 90 fps in First Contact" - she just doesn't care - still too pixelated. 
Now I was born with one hand on a Commodore 64 - I know the true meaning of "pixelated" - still we couldn't really see it back then  😄
Maybe my wife's reaction is quite true for some ordinary persons not used to computer games - but used to high res image quality on a monitor. Somehow I think HP wanted to target these persons with the pro version of the Reverb, maybe the Reverb wasn't really designed for gaming but to provide the best image quality for more serious apps (containing text documents and the like). And maybe HP then thought: why not sell units to the few hardcore gamers with beefy systems who want a great jump in visual clarity... Still we need proper reviews of the final and available HMDs - not just from persons having used a new HDM for 30 to 60 minutes. 

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

My wife really dislikes the Rift - she thinks the image quality is way too pixelated. And my arguments like "but this isn't normal Rift res - you're getting ss 2.0 at perfect 90 fps in First Contact" - she just doesn't care - still too pixelated. 
Now I was born with one hand on a Commodore 64 - I know the true meaning of "pixelated" - still we couldn't really see it back then  😄
Maybe my wife's reaction is quite true for some ordinary persons not used to computer games - but used to high res image quality on a monitor. Somehow I think HP wanted to target these persons with the pro version of the Reverb, maybe the Reverb wasn't really designed for gaming but to provide the best image quality for more serious apps (containing text documents and the like). And maybe HP then thought: why not sell units to the few hardcore gamers with beefy systems who want a great jump in visual clarity... Still we need proper reviews of the final and available HMDs - not just from persons having used a new HDM for 30 to 60 minutes. 

Yea SDE bugs me still to this day. I'll share a story on that. I actually bought my Rift on an impulse buy. I was loosely following VR and everyone was hyping the Vive and such at the time. I felt the Rift looked more appealing to me, looked more like a luxury item and the Touch Controllers were just out for a couple of months and were so nice looking unlike the Vive Dildos. I found a video on youtube of a girl drawing in tilt brush with roomscale. Didn't know Roomscale was even a thing for Oculus yet (it was still experimental) so I went to Oculus.com and ordered one. The first game I loaded up was the first encounter tutorial and I couldn't get over the SDE. I was like this is it? This is what I spent my money on? It was upwards of 800+ at the time for the rift and 3rd sensor and cabling. I restarted my computer, Then I put in Robo Recall.... and that first scene where the robots turn on me.... scared me half to death. I was in a room alone lol..but that made me realize the power of VR. Even through the SDE and the Native resolution (I hadn't figured out hwo to supersample yet), there was enough there to scare the crap out of me.

I found this forum trying to find a way to reduce SDE after I had already bought the Rift. There's been several games I've spent more time trying to get the SDE minimized through supersampling and graphic settings than actually playing the games. It has remained the number 1 complaint for me so I do share that issue with your wife and why the HP Reverb is going to get serious consideration lol. 

I dug this up from that Rift S wish list thread awhile back and you can see where I had SDE lol. I nailed the price even though I was expecting an OLED/Improved Quest for that price. But they did deliver on 1 and 2 and 6.

pyroth309

Guess I'm in the minority but I feel like 300 bucks for an improved rift
seems unlikely. I'm guessing it'll be around 399. Anyways most of my
list has been stated but here's the priority for me.

1. SDE reduction
2. Higher Resolution
3. FoV 
4. Option to use Constellation
5. Better Colors
6. Less God Rays.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I keep seeing comments throughout this thread and others talking about the Rift S and a true 2nd Gen Rift yet to come, even to suggest Oculus will in the future provide 2 PC-VR devices, the S model and then the upper end model in addition ( with Half Dome technology).

But really at least from what I have seen, there is no information out there to confirm this will be the case. That would mean Oculus plans on having 4 different product lines for VR, rather than the 3 they have been focused on. It is entirely possible (and this is just speculation as well) the top end they were initially targeting has been cancelled. It could be the bulk of their focus for the foreseeable future will be in mobile and stand alone, with a small offering for PC-VR enthusiasts. The new Rift - the Rift S - may just be the future for Oculus in the PC-VR realm, leaving the top tier PC-VR development for others.

And maybe they might re-visit this at some point way down the road. For me though, I am holding out no more hope for what I once hoped to see from Oculus in the high end PC-VR market. I sure as heck am not going to continue with the CV1 and wait for a possible true 2nd gen Rift. At this point I am fairly sure I will be going with the HP Reverb for my flight sims, will probably pick up a Quest for some simpler games I can play anywhere. Hell if Oculus had of just released the Rift S  which was more like the Reverb but with the 5 cameras and OLED displays I would have been all over it. I will miss having the Touch Controllers, but hopefully the games I will be able to play with Quest will satisfy that part for me as most of what I do anyway is flight sims. And hopefully race sims here soon.

Oculus once was the leader in PC-VR tech, but I fear they have elected to let someone else take lead in that department while the bulk of their focus being on lower end higher sales volume devices.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@dburne while nothing about a true CV2 is confirmed, Nate was asked about it in the Tested video, and his response was a very strongly indicated "yes." I get what you are saying about how it makes it seem as if 4 product lines would be made, but that is just part of the confusion Oculus is currently creating. Also, there was a strong rumor leak about the CV2 that comes from a similar source that leaked the Rift-S rumor leading up to GDC.