Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Wildt said:

Currently bidding on CV1's on ebay - it's not gonna be as cheap as I hoped :disappointed:

Look at the bright side - no matter what you end up paying, it'll be much less compared to the price you'd have to pay for my CV1!  😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wildt said:

Currently bidding on CV1's on ebay - it's not gonna be as cheap as I hoped :disappointed:

Yeah I have a feeling there will be a lot of folks trying to get their hands on a CV1.
I imagine one still new in the box would be worth something. Dang knew I should have bought that "spare" when I was considering it LOL.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dburne said:

Wildt said:

Yeah I have a feeling there will be a lot of folks trying to get their hands on a CV1.
I imagine one still new in the box would be worth something. Dang knew I should have bought that "spare" when I was considering it LOL.

Guess it had to end  😞 - just kind of a sad thing  😞 - especially when we all know:

https://youtu.be/c5NRH_DxWJE

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

xw3izstotp8d.jpg

While I knew it had to be a joke, I sincerly hoped for it to be true. 😞

Love your pricetag 😄
Be good, die great !

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

I'm one of like a dozen people on Earth who actually loves the third film in the Halloween series. It's titled, "Season of the Witch." Most people hate it because it doesn't have Michael Myers in it, but I love it.

It was a decent film in its own right however would have been better distancing itsself from the Myers franchise imo to save confusion.  still, some quality cheesy horror moments and who would not love a mask which turns peoples brains into cockroaches, worms and snakes.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXFjYMDOVJ0&feature=youtu.be&t=51
While the video mostly have footage of Rift. The title suggest otherwise.
 Does this mean that we might be able to purchase Rift-s and Quest before F8?
Be good, die great !

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Somewhat interesting:

Based on the previews I’ve been reading from GDC, I was
expecting more of a lateral quality move, with added inside-out
tracking.

However, compared to the Rift, I’m seeing a significantly higher
resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as
well as spotting units outside the cockpit. Looking around the Hornet
cockpit, I can read EVERYTHING. I’m very impressed with the DCS World
experience in the Rift S.

Inside-out tracking has been flawless for me, and Rift S setup could not be easier.

If you are a Rift owner, I’d certainly suggest taking a very hard look at the Rift S; I find the experience considerably better.

Be good, die great !

inovator
Consultant

KlodsBrik said:

Somewhat interesting:

Based on the previews I’ve been reading from GDC, I was
expecting more of a lateral quality move, with added inside-out
tracking.

However, compared to the Rift, I’m seeing a significantly higher
resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as
well as spotting units outside the cockpit. Looking around the Hornet
cockpit, I can read EVERYTHING. I’m very impressed with the DCS World
experience in the Rift S.

Inside-out tracking has been flawless for me, and Rift S setup could not be easier.

If you are a Rift owner, I’d certainly suggest taking a very hard look at the Rift S; I find the experience considerably better.

I have know doubt that when hands on reviews come out in droves after release, a high percentage of current rift owners will buy the rift s. While it not being a cv2 upgrade I believe in comparison to the current rift it is a large enough improvement to do the trick.

jayhawk
Superstar

Sharpfish said:

There is almost NOTHING more vital to the in-view aethestics of VR than superb BLACK LEVELS.

Without pure or near pure blacks the entire sense of 'reality' / presence /immersion is ruined.

Seems a bit over dramatic to me lol. The way I see it is if it were that bad, then why is Pimax or Reverb using LCD? I'm not going to knock it till I try it.....well buy it more like.

jayhawk
Superstar

RedRizla said:

I've seen just about every review about the Rift -S and they all say the same thing. That Rift -S should have had the Oculus Quest screens and the same resolution. I have to say given the price of Oculus Rift -S that I have to agree with these reviews now. Rift -S should be priced at £299 given it doesn't use anything like the Oculus Quests much better hardware. What is it about Rift -S that gives it the same price tag as an Oculus Quest, if it's hardware is not as good as the Oculus Quest? 

I don't think the reviewers are saying 'Rift-S SHOULD have had the Oculus Quest screens'. I've seen them all too, and most at best are only questioning why they are the same in price, but some actually do point out that because of the Samsung partnership, it's going to drive up cost some. Most likely the S will drop in price much sooner than Quest. Maybe they're taking a hit on the Quest. Pure speculation at this point.