cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
Level 16

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

snowdog
Level 16

jayhawk said:

Sharpfish said:

There is almost NOTHING more vital to the in-view aethestics of VR than superb BLACK LEVELS.

Without pure or near pure blacks the entire sense of 'reality' / presence /immersion is ruined.

Seems a bit over dramatic to me lol. The way I see it is if it were that bad, then why is Pimax or Reverb using LCD? I'm not going to knock it till I try it.....well buy it more like.

Yup, particularly when you consider that the black levels aren't that great with the Rift anyway. Going by feedback from people that have been using LCD headsets for a while it seems like you get used to the black levels anyway.

Unless the Index is something REALLY special I'm pretty much convinced on getting a Rift S as an upgrade.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

inovator
Level 12
I guess it's just me but kind of black very black, deep dark black, whatever doesn't effect me. Black seems black to me even when other people say it's more like gray. Most people just aren't that fussy.

CrashFu
Level 12
I seem to recall someone explaining OLED screens and black levels on the forum not too long ago..

Something about how OLEDs only get "darker blacks" by literally turning pixels off?

And most software doesn't even use that feature because of some side-effect that looks bad?   Does that sound about right?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Wildt
Level 12
I had to reinstall Win10 the other day, and had forgotten just how awful the blacks are until you disable Spud.
If you havent tried it, do it! Use the background in the IPD calibration screen for comparison. 
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

KlodsBrik
Level 11
Rift-S Safety video:
https://youtu.be/Xn6BR4X--fY

Be good, die great !

bigmike20vt
Level 14

inovator said:

I guess it's just me but kind of black very black, deep dark black, whatever doesn't effect me. Black seems black to me even when other people say it's more like gray. Most people just aren't that fussy.

Surely it depends on the games you play? Lucky's tale of robo recall or DCS (in the day) won't have an issue, elite dangerous and Affected and stuff like doom3 will be a bigger test imo
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

SkScotchegg
Level 11

inovator said:

KlodsBrik said:

Somewhat interesting:

Based on the previews I’ve been reading from GDC, I was
expecting more of a lateral quality move, with added inside-out
tracking.

However, compared to the Rift, I’m seeing a significantly higher
resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as
well as spotting units outside the cockpit. Looking around the Hornet
cockpit, I can read EVERYTHING. I’m very impressed with the DCS World
experience in the Rift S.

Inside-out tracking has been flawless for me, and Rift S setup could not be easier.

If you are a Rift owner, I’d certainly suggest taking a very hard look at the Rift S; I find the experience considerably better.

I have know doubt that when hands on reviews come out in droves after release, a high percentage of current rift owners will buy the rift s. While it not being a cv2 upgrade I believe in comparison to the current rift it is a large enough improvement to do the trick.

I would 100% buy the Rift S too, and maybe I still will later down the line when it's on discount at £300 or something but because Valve Index is coming out so soon and that has increased FOV then I have to buy that first as Valve Index for me is a massive upgrade over anything on the current market right now (at an affordable price for me if the full bundle comes in at around £600).

But I'm still a big Oculus supporter and I believe Oculus make great quality HMD's and software, so nobody is going to be disappointed by Rift S. I think everyone was disappointed after the big reveal because they were expecting CV2 but now time has passed and everyone is starting to realise that Rift S is still a great choice none the less.

The best thing about Rift S for me is that it has improved optics, higher resolution, inside/out tracking and Touch 2.0 with the sensor rings placed in a different area which is better for me as the original Touch controllers were too small for my hands.

The best thing about Valve Index is the increased FOV,  higher resolution and Knuckles. I guess others would also say IPD adjustment is a bonus but tbh that doesn't bother me as I only have one eye!  😛
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

dburne
Level 16

inovator said:

KlodsBrik said:

Somewhat interesting:

tracking.

Inside-out tracking has been flawless for me, and Rift S setup could not be easier.

If you are a Rift owner, I’d certainly suggest taking a very hard look at the Rift S; I find the experience considerably better.

I have know doubt that when hands on reviews come out in droves after release, a high percentage of current rift owners will buy the rift s. While it not being a cv2 upgrade I believe in comparison to the current rift it is a large enough improvement to do the trick.

I would 100% buy the Rift S too, and maybe I still will later down the line when it's on discount at £300 or something but because Valve Index is coming out so soon and that has increased FOV then I have to buy that first as Valve Index for me is a massive upgrade over anything on the current market right now (at an affordable price for me if the full bundle comes in at around £600).

But I'm still a big Oculus supporter and I believe Oculus make great quality HMD's and software, so nobody is going to be disappointed by Rift S. I think everyone was disappointed after the big reveal because they were expecting CV2 but now time has passed and everyone is starting to realise that Rift S is still a great choice none the less.

The best thing about Rift S for me is that it has improved optics, higher resolution, inside/out tracking and Touch 2.0 with the sensor rings placed in a different area which is better for me as the original Touch controllers were too small for my hands.

The best thing about Valve Index is the increased FOV,  higher resolution and Knuckles. I guess others would also say IPD adjustment is a bonus but tbh that doesn't bother me as I only have one eye!  😛

I would also add for the Valve Index what appears to be probably a very good audio setup. Oculus did very good on the audio setup for the Rift CV1 ( with exception of the failure issues in right earphone which I never had). It was disappointing to see them punt on the audio for the Rift S, I would have much preferred to have seen even better audio with the Rift S.

Increased resolution, larger FOV, decent controllers, no WMR fluffing about.
This is what has me all excited and most likely will be ordering a Valve Index as soon as orders open up for them.
Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

inovator
Level 12

inovator said:

KlodsBrik said:

Somewhat interesting:

tracking.

The best thing about Valve Index is the increased FOV,  higher resolution and Knuckles. I guess others would also say IPD adjustment is a bonus but tbh that doesn't bother me as I only have one eye!  

If index had inside out tracking I would consider that 1st same as u. But alas the idea of external sensor set up now makes me sick.

kevinw729
Level 15

KlodsBrik said:

Rift-S Safety video:
[VIDEO]

Yeah, I see the mainstream focus clearly now - and a little bit of hype in the format, but have to agree it gets the message across.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959