Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus Rift S PC VR Headset Set For GDC 2019 Reveal

An email sent to Oculus developers by Facebook suggests ‘Rift S’ will be formally revealed at GDC 2019.

UploadVR confirmed with multiple people the email mentions ‘Rift S’ alongside ‘Oculus Go’ and ‘Oculus Quest’. This suggests we should expect a formal announcement in the near future of the PC-based VR headset succeeding Oculus Rift.

And this all begins THIS MONDAY. Hopefully the rumor-mill will prove true this time.

Also note that Oculus is scheduled to be involved in at least 9 different sessions; you can get the full list of GDC here:

https://schedule.gdconf.com/

Down the Rabbit Hole with Oculus Quest (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/down-the-rabbit-hole-with-oculus-quest-presented-by-oculus/86560...

Creating Realistic Acoustics with Oculus Audio Propagation (Presented by Oculus)
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/creating-realistic-acoustics-with-oculus-audio-propagation-prese...

1,078 REPLIES 1,078

HiThere_
Superstar
That thing is not the PC VR headset I would recommend buying in 2019, and even less the one I would continue recommending next year after a price cut...

Seems Facebook didn't learn anything from Windows Mixed Reality.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess them not selling the CV1 any longer once depleted explains why inventory was running out at the big retailers.
RIP Rift CV1.

LZoltowski
Champion
Rift S fixes everything for me that I didnt like about the CV1

• Optics (Going from GO to my Rift always feels like I am looking through vaseline covered glass) GO optics are superior to pretyt much anything else out there, and that is a fact, look it up.
  • SDE: Great Resolution (Go panel is not pentile so no more maura, much higher pixel fill,  no blotches of redness, perceived SDE is much lower)  
  • Vibrancy and brightness of the LCD panel in GO (its super bright and colours are soooo punchy, compared to RIFT).
  • Ergonomics, Rift is uncomfortable for me with my large head so this is a big improvement, I found PSVR HMD super comfy and this is a rip of that.
  • No more worrying that sensors are aligned properly or somebody moved them
  • Passthrough!
  • 3 USB ports will be freed up

I don't have a GPU to drive anything higher than that res reliably. Even my 1080 even struggles sometimes.

If you own a GO, 60hz looks perfectly fine. 80hz on the Rift S will make no difference to you from 90, yet you are saving 10fps of horsepower.

One small thing is that LCD's blacks are not pure black.

Everything else ticks the boxes for me.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:

I wonder if the S have the pass through ability for actual WMR, that would be a nice little added feature seeing as they stuck 5 camera's around it, would seem like a no brainer to be honest with that many.

They said that the new Guardian configuration is done in headset with passthrough, but I haven't seen any other official talk about it. The front cameras are positioned right for it though,

RuneSR2 said:

As I've posted before - according to HP the Reverb should have improved tracking even though it's still using 2 cameras - but we need proper reviews to really find out:

According to RoadToVR:
"HP says that Reverb’s inside-out tracking system is virtually unchanged
from the original, with the same placement and resolution of tracking
cameras. For that reason, we expect that tracking performance will be
mostly unchanged from other Windows VR headsets."

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Seems like a few people might be jumping to HP’s New Reverb VR Headset that has only 2 camera's, which I suspect has inferior tracking to that of the Rift -S. HP's Reverb might have a better resolution screen then Rift -S, but that's about it if I'm not mistaken?

There's also the chance that Oculus might just decide to give up on PC-VR altogether, if it isn't reaching it's sales numbers with people jumping ship etc. We will all then have to hope that one PC- VR company can succeed with their VR headset, in-order for PC-VR to still be around in 5 years times. I think one company has to succeed for PC-VR to continue because no company is going to carry on flogging a dead horse if it doesn't make sales. Also, dev houses aren't going to show much interest in PC-VR, if sales numbers aren't that high. Remember Oculus are wanting to get millions of people into VR not thousands.

I will be buying the Rift-S, because to me it's affordable and will look a lot better then CV1. The future is inside out tracking and Rift -S, currently beats all the other headsets that use this type of tracking. I do hope that the Oculus software will allow the Rift S controllers to use Outside in tracking. Nate Mitchell only has to visit the Oculus forums once in a while to see that people want this included.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will most likely get the Reverb for my combat flight sims.
Keep the Rift CV1 for some of those Oculus Touch games I enjoy on occasion.
Probably 90% of my VR time is seated flight simming.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
I believe it will have 90%+ tracking of what a rift have right now with 3 sensors.
 Oculus wouldn´t put out a headset that is less than Rift is. Wait for reviews people. Don't ride the negative hypetrain already.

We all knew this wasn't  gonna be Rift 2 however much we wanted it to be.

Be good, die great !

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I don't understand why they would take the built in earphones away from the Rift? I mean come on? Why would you do that?

I was excited for the Rift S but that I'm just puzzled by, I really can't understand it. I really don't want to have to plug headphones in every time I put on the Rift S.

When I saw Quest, I thought wow, that looked awesome, and it has updated touch controllers and it's wireless so imagine playing Beat Saber with Quest, that will be wicked, I will buy Quest just for Beat Saber alone. And that was before Beat Saber was even confirmed for quest.

But with Rift S, it was simple, all they had to do was replace the lenses with GO lenses and increase the resolution and leave everything else the same. They could have used the same screens, same ipd, and same earphones. Why change any of that? I just don't understand.

A lot of people are complaining about the change to LCD and 80hz, personally I don't understand screen technology well enough to know if this is good or bad? I'd need someone who understands screens to explain to me. But I'm being optimistic and guessing they we won't know any in difference? I don't know.

I'm really not sure what to do now, when I heard they were going to announce Rift S today I origonally thought maybe I won't buy Quest and instead I'll buy Rift S. But now part of me thinks maybe I should stick to origonal plan and Buy Quest and then I'll have GO, Quest and Rift and that could see me through to Rift CV2 (Casper).
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

those are fast switching LCD's if you own a GO you will know that the clarity of the image is soooo good.

Yes, as a GO owner I'm very excited at the prospect of a new Rift sharing those lenses!

In the Tested interview with Nate, it was specifically stated that combining Inside-Out with Outside-In tracking has been considered, and it is not ruled out - but they are going to see how the market responses to the new Rift.

The new Touch controllers for Rift-S do have the LED constellations, so they can work with the Sensors. Oculus just needs to support it with the software.

I heard them say that too about supporting the sensors, they said they want our feedback??? So what does this mean??? How do we give them feedback? I opt for Zenbane to create a petition, lets get 500k signs on the petition and then share it with oculus via Facebook and twitter etc!!!! This should be our no.1 priority. 🙂
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Wow... lots and lots of posts since I last checked! lots and lots of opinions too.

So here's another 😛

40% more pixels. That's 71% of the resolution of the Vive Pro at 36% of the cost of the Vive Pro starter pack. This alone is likely to cause me (and many people) to buy while we wait for gen 2 to arrive.... and the PC power capable of driving gen 2 to arrive.

No more (or very little god rays) yes, yes, YES!

Other things I'm good with -

The design probably lends itself better to glasses wearers as per HoloLens with possibly easier use of headset/monitor combinations. You lift it and have a complete view of your monitor rather than awkward peaks through a nose gap or slightly uncomfortable lifting of the headset.

It's not a Quest with PC connectivity, so without the battery, compute power and memory, it's cheaper than it wold have been and lighter than it would have been.

Inside-out: I can transfer my PCVR to the living room to have fun with family without having to set up the sensors.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY (yes I feel like shouting this)

This is a headset that will attract more people to VR than a £1000 enthusiast headset would. We want an enthusiast headset but VR needs good PCVR for the masses.

With that comes developer involvement that we're so badly lacking. I predict Codemasters will include VR in all their games when PCVR reaches 5% of total Steam users and that'll only happen if at least one major player produces a headset that sells big. If we've learned anything, surely we've learned that enthusiast headset sell small, very small.

I predict Bethesda will include VR in some of their tittle from the get-go if PCVR reached 5% of total Steam users.

I'm grateful for the software devs that are already doing VR... Oculus particularly but it's not sustainable like that. The big boys (and girls) have to have more of an incentive.

I totally understand enthusiasts being disappointed but I'm an enthusiast and I'm not.

(oh and gen 2 hasn't been cancelled, it just isn't the right time)