Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brace yourselves: Panasonic's VR Glasses are coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
  • Panasonic Reveals Improved Specs for Its Impressively Compact VR Glasses

• 6DOF room-scale tracking included

• At this year’s all-digital CES 2021, Panasonic showed off a new and improved version of the device, which packs in some pretty intriguing specs alongside the new addition of optical 6DOF tracking.

• this year’s model features dual 2,560 × 2,560 micro OLEDs with a pixel density 2,245ppi.

• The micro OLED panels, which were developed in collaboration with Panasonic and Kopin, are said to support 120Hz as well as HDR. Much like Pico’s G3 prototype, which hasn’t been released yet, Panasonic’s aptly names ‘VR Glasses’ also feature pancake optics, which reduce the overall bulk and weight of the device.

• this year’s model has better weight distribution by both strengthening the device’s arms and improving the shape of the fins to better grip to the user’s head.

• Audio is another area of improvement for the prototype, which now features integrated audio built by Panasonics’ subsidiary Technics instead of the previous design’s dangling earbuds. Panasonic didn’t comment on the exact implementation, however it sounds very similar to the way Oculus provides onboard audio in Oculus Quest and Oculus Go

• The VR glasses also include both IPD (interpupilary distance) adjustment and a diopter adjustment mechanism to accommodate near-sighted users—important features to have for such a close-fitting VR headset.

• Microdisplays and pancake optics tend to provide lower field of view (FOV) than dedicated PC VR headsets or standalone devices like Oculus Quest 2, which typically range at or above 100 degrees. This year’s model still doesn’t have a verified FOV spec, but if it’s anything like last year’s it will likely be somewhere around the estimated 70 degrees.

Full article: https://www.roadtovr.com/panasonic-vr-glasses-specs-ces-2021/

I have to admit, Quest 2 has me spoiled with mobile compact VR. I'm very intrigued by some VR Glasses done right.
10 REPLIES 10

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Brace Yourself GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

GIF champions league - animated GIF on GIFER

Looks nice, but I need to wear my glasses inside the VR glasses - not sure that's possible. I'm not fond of inserts. 

How about controllers? Do Knuckles need to worry? 😉 (Admitted, I did not take the time to read the article)

Sound like Quest is not exactly a great solution in my book, lol. In fact, could be a red flag. 

Another most important question - do these VR glasses work with Revive? Is the high-res oled door to Asgard finally open?  B) 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP

• At this year’s all-digital CES 2021

Wait, there's been a CES2021 already? *Checks google*
Hmm, guess my tech news sources have been a bit distracted lately.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Hmm low fov means no thanks. Good to see this making some headway, hopefully once the teething issues are ironed out then they can make something better than current VR headsets especially with 120hz HDR high quality screens being used. I wonder though will Panasonic allow other developers to use these displays (or versions of them) in their traditional VR headsets?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Looks nice, but I need to wear my glasses inside the VR glasses - not sure that's possible. I'm not fond of inserts. 

How about controllers? Do Knuckles need to worry? 😉 (Admitted, I did not take the time to read the article)

Sound like Quest is not exactly a great solution in my book, lol. In fact, could be a red flag. 

Another most important question - do these VR glasses work with Revive? Is the high-res oled door to Asgard finally open?  B) 

The VR glasses also include both IPD (interpupilary distance) adjustment
and a diopter adjustment mechanism to accommodate near-sighted
users
—important features to have for such a close-fitting VR headset.

This could be a game changer for glasses wearers for VR.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

OmegaM4N said:

RuneSR2 said:

The VR glasses also include both IPD (interpupilary distance) adjustment
and a diopter adjustment mechanism to accommodate near-sighted
users
—important features to have for such a close-fitting VR headset.

This could be a game changer for glasses wearers for VR.

I'm far-sighted  :#  :'( 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

I would have thought they'd have a -/+ diopter adjustment to accommodate both near and far sighted within limits.

70 deg FOV for goggles this size is pretty impressive and with those high res screens would give great clarity, so maybe aimed more at movie viewing. There doesn't seem to be any facility for controller tracking.... maybe hand tracking?

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^This should still work for both near and far sighted users, similar to how binoculars work for each eye.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
They also boast of having no screen door effect.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/panasonic-at-ces-2020-the-worlds-first-hdr-capable-uhd-vr-eyeglass...

I remember these being discussed last year. The price is probably going to be very high, since they don't seem to be targeting consumers. It wouldn't surprise me if these fall in the $6,000-10,000 price range.

Panasonic at CES 2020 the worlds first HDR capable UHD VR eyeglasses 3

OK... I'm willing to bet on high-end media viewers at around the £300  £500  mark.