cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brokerage Fees on Shipments to Canada

atb
Honored Guest
Just read on the MTBS3D Forum that a backer having a Rift delivered to Canada had to pay a significant amount of additional delivery fees:

"UPS ended up taking an extra 104.35 COD 39.66 for GST and $65.69 for "Brokerage Fees"!!! UPS does really screw you on those. Hopefully, Oculus can find a Canadian distributor to help alleviate those fees - or ship USPS."

Is the Oculus logistics team able to do anything that will reduce these fees for Canadian destined shipments? I don't think the GST portion is avoidable, but I'm fairly certain the additional $65 in "Brokerage Fees" can be reduced or removed somehow as I haven't had to pay this on other purchases coming from the US. It's pretty painful for us Canadians to have to pay an additional $100+ on top of the shipping costs, or a total of $150 (or 50% of the Rift's value) in shipping, tax, and other fees. 😞
270 REPLIES 270

mrgreen72
Superstar
Yes, USPS becomes Canada Post this side of the border.

jaraldo
Honored Guest
Thank you so much for switching to USPS! UPS shipping to Canada is beyond ridiculous.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now I'm happy that I'm a little later in the order numbers. I mentioned how much of a rip off UPS is in the comments on the Kickstarter page ages ago when someone else was an international customer mentioning shipping fee's. Glad to see it's finally resolved.

featherodd
Honored Guest
Huge thanks for switching to USPS for Canadian orders!

Baconriffic
Explorer
Hi all,

Sorry to necro the thread. However if you are one of the unlucky few that got shipped via UPS. Beware of another letter from them. I just got a letter while I was at work for them looking for another $58 for brokerage charges doing the B3 information. This is on top of my original $100 that I payed at the door.

I'm going to call tomorrow to refute it as the original invoice had the B3 charges included. Very unhappy to get dinged for 1/3 of the cost of the kit in just brokerage charges (if the new one sticks).

Just a heads up to other Canadian people who were unlucky with getting the UPS shipment.

Prelucid
Honored Guest
"Canbacon" wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry to necro the thread. However if you are one of the unlucky few that got shipped via UPS. Beware of another letter from them. I just got a letter while I was at work for them looking for another $58 for brokerage charges doing the B3 information. This is on top of my original $100 that I payed at the door.

I'm going to call tomorrow to refute it as the original invoice had the B3 charges included. Very unhappy to get dinged for 1/3 of the cost of the kit in just brokerage charges (if the new one sticks).

Just a heads up to other Canadian people who were unlucky with getting the UPS shipment.

I did my own paperwork and it ended up costing only $34.35 total (18.24 for duties, and the rest GST).

While it was a hassle having to make multiple trips to CBSA during working hours, and I was new at the whole thing (racked my brain on import codes etc...) I don't see the justification for that cost given that once you got it down (and I know because I had to do it twice after getting some values wrong), it's basically 10 minutes of data entry and then paying your duties. If anything the hardest part was getting the manifest and invoice from UPS and then getting them to deliver the package after both CBSA and myself faxed the B3 receipts to them. There was also a moment of horror when the package was left at my doorstep.
Viktor: Yes, he was wrong. But just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong... and priceless?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Heads up Oculus team,

Your fulfillment center is still shipping to UPS to Canada (Order # 4524) not USPS.

Cheers,

Daniel

NeonStoic
Protege
Yeah, I just got a notice and my order ( #004476 to Canada ) is also getting shipped via UPS. Kind of disappointed in that, given the previous news that it would be handled by USPS.

Gnometech
Protege
Ditto. Order #004598 to Canada has been shipped via UPS. I too was hoping we'd have that extra 'S' in there.

- Dave
David Wyand www.gnometech.com @Gnometech Game in progress: The Field -- Multiplayer, battlefield-style VR FPS GearVR Store: Circumpaint -- Paint and animate on a dome around you

KingK76
Protege
"Gnometech" wrote:
Ditto. Order #004598 to Canada has been shipped via UPS. I too was hoping we'd have that extra 'S' in there.

- Dave

It would be nice to have this situation spoken to from someone at Oculus. It seems enough time has passed since their announcement that orders to Canada would be handled by USPS and not UPS and now that things would have already changed. I am order 9303 so I am now wondering if this situation will be rectified before my DK ships... Cyber?... Anyone? :?: