cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build the best VR PC

soxfan335
Level 4
I am wondering, for people with lots of hardware experience, what in your opinion is the best combo you can come up with for VR? Not necessarily the fastest/most expensive with overclocking etc, but a well balanced system with as minimal bottlenecking as possible and best RAM speed/cpu bus combo? RAM latency? Which specific GPU manufacturer and why?
hush little babeh dont say a word and nevermind that noise u herrd :shock:
203 REPLIES 203

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
I'm pleasantly surprised by Windows 10. It is worlds better than 8 ever was and seems to have great performance in gaming. I have ED Horizons working on the 0.8 runtime and it runs flawlessly (priceless).

tbh I haven't noticed any difference in game frame rates between 7 and 10.
10 will certainly be better when DX12 kicks in but I see that as an annoying side to Microsoft, not making it available to 7 rather than 10 being better, effectively taking our choice of OS away from us

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

ThreeDeeVision
Level 9
"DaftnDirect" wrote:

tbh I haven't noticed any difference in game frame rates between 7 and 10.
10 will certainly be better when DX12 kicks in but I see that as an annoying side to Microsoft, not making it available to 7 rather than 10 being better, effectively taking our choice of OS away from us

Totally agreed. I had to get Windows Vista just for Halo 2 PC :roll:

At least 10 is free and seems to work nicely. And did I mention Elite Horizons in VR working flawlessly? 😉
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
At least 10 is free and seems to work nicely. And did I mention Elite Horizons in VR working flawlessly? 😉

No argument there, love Elite Horizons, and thank-you Oculus for supporting Windows 10 faster than I thought you would

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

jodyrbrennan
Level 3

onefang
Level 3
"Mahtavavarvas" wrote:
Then there are some annoying bugs, for example when I use skype ( I know skype sucks but have to use for work reasons, sigh :roll: ) and turn off computer, I always get error message that I have to click or my computer does not turn off. Something to do with windows shutting audio drivers before skype thus skype unable to play the closing tune ( getting rid of that tune does not help ). Very annoying but I can live with that.

Reminds me of something I saw often when I was supporting Windows desktops last year, closing down windows and it stops to complain that some program is preventing the close down. Which program? The one that plays the closing down sound. ROFL

Synthetic
Level 8
6 or 8 core i7 haswell or broadwell or more (xeon)
x99 refresh
32gb DDR4
250GB or more SSD for OS
1TB SSD or more for games

monitor that supports 90hz refresh

DAC sound amp/receiver (or atmos soundbar)

He11bound
Level 2
My current setup should be good for cv1. I will be upgrading after pascal is released. My 3930k and 780ti's still have life in them.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme, Core i7 3930K @4.6GHz, 2x EVGA GTX780 Ti SC, 16 DDR3@2133 MHz, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, PSU-Corsair AX1200, Sound Blaster Zx, Astro A40, Corsair K95 RGB keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse.

TheDynamo
Level 2
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa379/Justin_Raymond/7_zpspga7bewp.jpg

This is my Little beast.

Titan x
16 GB DDR 4 Memory
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz
Asus Z170i Mini ITX Board
Watercooled

LaszloK
Level 2
any idea if Sandy Bridge CPUs will be enough?

drmrw2
Level 2
I went with a custom small form factor Asus G20 aj built by xotic pc. having it made with a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC GAMING ACX 2.0+
16gb ram and i7-4790 (3.60-4.00GHz) (22nm, 8MB cache) (Quad-Core CPU) 256gb Samsung SSD, 2tb HDD