cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build the best VR PC

soxfan335
Protege
I am wondering, for people with lots of hardware experience, what in your opinion is the best combo you can come up with for VR? Not necessarily the fastest/most expensive with overclocking etc, but a well balanced system with as minimal bottlenecking as possible and best RAM speed/cpu bus combo? RAM latency? Which specific GPU manufacturer and why?
hush little babeh dont say a word and nevermind that noise u herrd :shock:
203 REPLIES 203

in6seconds
Expert Protege
gtx 980 is all you need 🙂

Jamendxman3
Honored Guest
Intel i7 4790K
GTX 980 Ti
16GB RAM

Anonymous
Not applicable
"in6seconds" wrote:
gtx 980 is all you need 🙂

well also a motherboard, a powersupply, cpu, aftermaket cooler, 8gb mem, case :lol:

Mrbrabo
Honored Guest
I have:
i7 5820K
64 DDR4 mem
980ti

Should be enough for the upcomming 2 years.

"Tim74UK" wrote:
well also a motherboard, a powersupply, cpu, aftermaket cooler, 8gb mem, case :lol:

and unfortunately Windows 10

danknugz
Superstar
Guys, I think it's pretty obvious that everyone should have at least a 980 of some variation, 16gb RAM, x99 mobo with DDR4.

However I believe the OP meant to take this a step further, as in, yes, 16GB of RAM, but which RAM manufacturer and what timings? I'm sure tests have been done or there are tests to determine which RAM is best for gaming/latency with respect to how they line up with clock cycles. But have they been done for VR?

The same applies for CPU/bus and possibly the best RAM could change depending on which CPU you're using? Obviously your motherboard should support PCIe 3.0 16x (you dont want to get a mobo that only supports 8x for example). We know that we need lots of USB 3.0 ports too, so you want to avoid mobos with only 1 or 2 USB 3.0 ports. Also, there are many different gtx980s, what is the difference, why should you choose one over the other? Things like that. The point is to avoid building a brand new PC that is unbalanced, bottlenecked or gimped from the start because you missed something small in the details.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Ironlemons
Protege
Z97 motherboard
16gb DDR3, 1888 mhz CL9 ram
i7 4790K
gtx 980 MSI
for PSU anything that has enough juice for gtx 980 and is GOLD certified
case, many good but I like Fractal R4 and R5, add few fans either to front or back as needed
for cooler get something that is not too expensive but dont get the cheapest one, use good thermal paste

ALSO

get SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
"DaftnDirect" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:

Why Unfortunately? Windows 10 is awesome... just got to know how to turn off all the built in adware crap!

"Tim74UK" wrote:
"DaftnDirect" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:

Why Unfortunately? Windows 10 is awesome... just got to know how to turn off all the built in adware crap!

I'm on a tablet... need the PC keyboard to answer that one!