cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye forever

TheFugg
Honored Guest

With the REQUIREMENT of eventual Facebook account needed to use my hardware I've decided to put that dog out of its misery. I know that I still have time, and plenty of it, before I can't use my oculus and I'm aware that the force is strictly because of my refusal to use Facebook. I have my reasons why I won't use FB and I am firm on my choices. What I haven't done yet is decide what VR platform will be my next choice. If anyone has some thoughts of what platform would a good choice I'm open to suggestions. I've really enjoyed my experience with oculus and disheartened that it is ending. 

30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that is a tough one for some.

I have been very happy with my Reverb G2, however it does require a fairly beefy rig for best results.

If not it I would be looking at Valve Index. These are really best two choices right now outside of Oculus.

cmat100
Adventurer

I'm in the same boat, but at the moment I don't think there is anything out there that can equal, let alone beat, the Quest when it comes down to the experience overall (i.e. HTC / WMR).  I just hope that changes before 2023.  But I will enjoy my Q1 until the end 🙂

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

SteamVR is the place to be these days for your dedicated VR HMD needs, nothing else is in the same ballpark anymore now that FB is out of the dedicated PCVR market, and i think we will see a big push once Valve can get production of the Index back on after this pandemic is over......i have been waiting since before xmas and so i imagine are a lot of dedicated PCVR gamers right now. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I'm not really sure that there was ever such a thing as a "dedicated PCVR market." Even when the first gen Rift and Vive launched back in 2016 we had multiple avenues for VR experiences:

• PCVR
  • WebVR
  • 360 Media

There's never been a dedicated VR market itself. Nor should there be, as the overall ecosystem is already exceedingly small as it is. 

In fact, the real limitation comes from choosing a strictly tethered VR HMD, since the consumer loses out on tetherless mobile experiences. And when I say "mobile" I'm talking about the ability to physically take your VR HMD and it's library and enjoy VR anywhere without the need for a dedicated PC.

When it comes to PCVR itself, Oculus still supports it quite well and the Quest can play the entire SteamVR Library. Speaking of which, SteamVR still seems to be sub-par compared to the Oculus Store when it comes to title selections that are truly worth a time investment.

Regarding the OP's question, it would seem that the Index is the best choice for a full PCVR experience, with the Reverb being a close 2nd. I only say that due to the fact that so much hands-on feedback seems to indicate that the Reverb comes with some drawbacks/sacrifices that are not present with the Index.

And in other news,

Strong rumors of a Quest Pro are on the horizon. Which would make my wish come true!

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/an-oculus-quest-pro-could-be-on-the-way-facebook-exec-hints

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...

Totally understand this.

Headset - i'd get a Cosmos or Reverb G2 - nobody wants the hassle of external tracking these days and obviously there's plenty of content on Steam.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

falken76
Expert Consultant

I moved on from Oculus, I still have the CV1 but I never use it now.  I bought the HP Reverb G2.  At first I hated the controller tracking because I was used to outside in on constellation.  The outside in tracking is a lot better than inside out that's for sure.  But I got used to it, now it doesn't bother me.

Here's my experience with the new VR.  Oculus home, Steam Home, and WMR home are all bull**bleep** front end gimmicks, they mean absolutely nothing other than a fancy looking GUI you move around inside of.

The best store IMHO is steam.  They simply have the largest library, the policies on oculus are copied from them as they move forward.  Aside from Oculus exclusives, Steam just has more content, and a lot of it.  I personally do not find the steam store to be sub par.  It has more content, perhaps I might have to read more reviews, but there's more content, more competition, I feel they have a better selection.  VR games as a whole are just lacking for the most part.  My too favorite games I play the most were bought on steam.  Onward and DCS World.  Onward was only available on steam for a very long time, and DCS World has been around forever and just added VR as an afterthought.  One thing I liked about steam was I can access all my Oculus titles still, I didn't even have to install anything, there's just an icon that says "Re-vive" and you click it and all your oculus titles just show up and you can load them from there.  I thought for sure it was a hack I'd have to install and configure just to make it work, but that wasn't the case at all.

I would recommend the HP Reverb G2 or maybe the Valve Index.  I don't want to use anything that ties into social media, I think social media is cancer.  This cancel culture we live in today is not to be trusted, I'm going to stop using it all together, never mind the effect it has on VR.  The last thing I need is to be called into work to discuss my continued employment because some **bleep** in the company found something I posted on facebook.

Steam does have the "largest" VR Library, but that observation is an ideal situation for the concept of, "quantity over quality." Steam still has mostly throw-away titles that aren't even worth a single playthrough. I always prefer "quality over quantity." And in that regard it remains true to this day that Oculus has the best VR Library available.

Granted, this is mostly due to the lack of competition. Nonetheless, SteamVR is still quite awful with very few exceptions. Which, I would imagine, is the reason that so many users who have "moved on from Oculus" still actually stick around with Oculus; by using Revive to play Oculus titles and hanging around this forum to see what they may be missing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fully with you there @falken76 .

I am fully on board with Steam and Steam VR with the Reverb g2. It is a great headset I am using with some great titles.

The combination really can't be beat for PC-VR goodness. And I probably spend on average 3-5 hours a day gaming in VR. Right now I am heavily involved in DCS after finally learning enough about the Hornet to be able to fly effectively in campaigns. Currently knees deep into my third campaign for the Hornet and having a blast.

And flying off the carrier with 100% native Steam VR resolution of the G2 is so gorgeous.

So yes I am a hard core dedicated PC-VR enthusiast, like many others out there. And I happen to love my tethered goodness being able to play some high graphics quality games that are designed for the advantages of a full PC system. I have the original Quest still - not impressed with the quality of games offered for it's mobile platform. Not at all, so it sits by pretty much unused in it's original box. It did impress me how well it did with Link when they released that, but hey why would I do that when I can have a native PC-VR headset that does so much better. Good times!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

That's the real problem with PCVR on Steam, there's always just 1 or 2 games per year that are mentioned. Because it's only 1 or 2 games that are ever worth playing per year when only looking at SteamVR. Experiences like DCS are such a niche within a niche that is not really worth the investment for most gaming enthusiasts. 

DCS can easily be played with Quest 2 and Link, and Quest 2 users will have for more options and VR goodness at their disposal than a user limited by a Reverb or Index.

Flight Sims have been the go-to "namedrop" for the "PCVR Enthusiast" crown since 2016. And there's a reason for that. PCVR is a tiny niche, and the best PCVR titles are located on the Oculus Store. The only exception is the niche within a niche group that prefers flight sims. Yet that only further proves that there really is no adequate dedicated PCVR market. It's too tiny, and too niche.